Thursday, August 5, 2010

Terrific Thursday with Nicole Morgan:)

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.


Well first of all, thanks for having me. My name is Nicole Morgan and I am here today to talk about my upcoming August 12th release Love Knows No Boundaries.



Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?


It’s funny you should ask that, because with almost all of my books I try to add an element of suspense, intrigue or mystery. With this latest one, Love Knows No Boundaries I touch on a subject that for many publishers is taboo. Luckily, Siren Publishing was willing to look beyond that and give the story a chance to come alive. That’s one of the reasons I love Siren Publishing. They don’t put restrictions or limitations on your creative mind, within reason of course.


Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?


LOL…I’d say only ALWAYS! I have a tendency to incorporate careers, locations and events that I myself have experience with. I guess it’s easier to write because I have firsthand knowledge. Regardless, you can be sure that in each and every one of my books there is a little bit of Nicole’s history lurking somewhere.

How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?


In any book I will research however much that particular book dictates me to. I don’t research first, as I don’t normally know where the story is going to take me. I usually write until something comes up and I research until I find what I’m looking for.


Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?


I guess I would tell them to live in the moment, not take anything for granted. Life is way too short to do that. Just look at all my characters go through in my stories. Life and love can be a struggle, but it’s what you reap in the end that makes it all worthwhile.


Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?


I am not a plotter at all. I usually have a small idea I start with, but allow the story to take on a life of its own and tell itself. I actually think if I were to try and plot out too much of a story that I would end up deviating from it and going off in an entirely different direction anyway. I guess I’m more of a free spirit that way.


How long did it take for you to be published?


I was very fortunate and am very grateful that my first manuscript was picked up for publication right away. Being an author is hard in this day and age so I don’t take my opportunities for granted. Being published by Siren Publishing is an especially rewarding experience since, despite the many authors that Siren has they give every book thorough editing and attention to detail.


If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?


I would tell myself to be a bit tougher and not let every bit of constructive criticism or advice get me down. With every piece of feedback you get there is something that can be gained from it. I like to use the advice given to me as a point of reference for future works.


Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?


Oh, Laptop definitely! It would take me forever to write it all down on paper. Then chances are I wouldn’t be able to read it for dictation anyway. Besides I type faster than I could ever write the words down on paper.


Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?


I have many favorite authors, literally too many to list. Right now I am reading AJ Llewellyn’s www.ajllewellyn.com The Wine-Dark Sea and I am absolutely loving it. The next book in my *virtual* TBR pile is Sandy Sullivan’s www.romancestorytime.com Strictly Professional.


For Fun:

Favorite ‘Summer Food’ (ie: Veggies, fruit, or fair food)


Oh that’s an easy question, a hot dog at a ball game! Being an avid baseball fan I love to go to major league baseball games. My team is the Colorado Rockies and I have to tell you that there is nothing like watching the Rockies while enjoying an ice cold Smirnoff and a Rockies Dog! Mmm Mmm…now THAT is a good day!


Mountains or Beach?


That is an unfair question! LOL, see I hail from a state that has gorgeous mountains which I love, but I would so love to go to the beach too! Something about the sun kissing your skin and then being able to jump into the water to cool off. And if we’re talking an ocean beach, then what fun it is to find seashells!


Favorite amusement park ride?

Anything that is NOT a roller coaster! I have a weird thing about them. I don’t know that I would call it a phobia or a fear. I mean I know there is no real danger and I remember enjoying them when I was younger, but for some reason I see them and think…um…that looks kinda big and scary so I think I’ll pass. J You give me something that spins around really fast and I will have a HUGE grin on my face.

Yay:) Another person who doesn't ride those things! I'll only ride the kiddie coaster, lol:)


Favorite drink?


Hmm…there are a couple of different ways I could go with this so I’ll answer both ways. My favorite alcoholic beverage is Smirnoff Ice or any of the flavored Smirnoff malt beverages. Now if we’re talking a caffeine fix then I have to have something with caramel in it. I can do a hot Caramel Macchiato or an ice blended Caramel Frappucino but it has to have that caramel in it or it’s just not as yummy!


Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.

Thanks so much for having me! I had a great time. You can find all of my books at: Siren Publishing



BLURB:

Isabelle first fell in love with Sean when she was fifteen years old. Six years her senior he saw her as a gawky teenager. While at college Isabelle has found the perfect boyfriend. Justin is patient, kind and a complete gentleman. Sean’s feelings for her have changed and he is tired of sitting by while she is with another man. Driven by desire and love he does everything within his power to win the woman that he loves.

Justin, the once perfect boyfriend begins to fall apart at the idea of losing Isabelle. In a moment of rage and desperation he does something horrific, effectively changing their future forever.

Will Sean’s love be enough to get them through the pain? Or will Isabelle walk away from Sean forever? And does love truly know no boundaries?

Excerpt:

“Jake, I’m sorry could we do this another time? I need to talk to Iz—to my sister.”

Oh that bastard. He did that on purpose. He got that jab in just because he knew it would hurt. Thinking it would push her away.

“Yeah, no prob. Hey Izzy, have fun up at school. And be safe huh?” He kissed her on the cheek and headed out the front door.

She waited for it to close. Then very calmly and very methodically she walked toward Sean. She was toe-to-toe with him as she reached her hand up and put everything she had into the smack.

Whap! Sean’s head flew to the side. He rubbed his cheek as his head slowly came back to face her.

“Watch it, Izzy.” It wasn’t a threat, but clearly a warning.

Fire swept though her body, and not the good kind. “You watch it, Sean! You know, I didn’t think you could possibly hurt me anymore. But somehow you never cease to amaze me with your insensitive words. Sister, huh!” She turned to storm away, but he grabbed her before she could.

“It’s true, isn’t it? Your mother married my father. We’re related, honey, whether you want to admit it or not.”

She let out a mocking laugh.

“Admit it? Oh, you’re a fine one to talk about people admitting things, Sean.”

Oh, so the gloves were coming off then, huh? Fine, he could handle it. Could she?

“What exactly is it that you want me to admit?”

Oh no, he wasn’t going to humiliate her anymore. She might have groveled and begged before, but never again. If he wanted her, he would have to do something about it. But it wouldn’t be because she had forced the issue. Never again!

“It doesn’t matter, Sean. It did before, but no longer. I merely thought we could have a few parting words. I didn’t want my last words to you to be that I hated you.” She hung her head for a moment and then looked back up. “Because I don’t. I was angry, but I don’t hate you.”

The look she gave him was killing him. He knew she loved him and he had spent the last week pining over her. God, he wanted her so badly. He ached for her in a way that he didn’t know was possible. If he didn’t do something tonight, she would be leaving tomorrow. He told himself last week that separation would be good for them. But now, even though she was only going to be a few hours away, it was eating him alive that she was going off to school. There would be young, testosterone-ridden men there just waiting for a chance at her. Had she really meant it when she said she was going to turn to someone else? The thought of another man touching her sent chills down his spine.

She waited for him to say something, but of course he just stared at her. It made her so damn angry.

“Fine then, I’m going. Goodbye, Sean.” She said the last words as she turned to go.

She made it to the front door and had barely opened it when a hand reached over her head to slam it shut. She was startled. She could feel his body pressed up against hers and his breath against her ear.

“Don’t go.”

Was it a question or a demand? She wasn’t sure.

“Why?” she asked as she turned her head, making his mouth almost touch hers.

He closed his eyes and dropped his head on her shoulder. Could he do this? Should he do this? He would go to hell for sure. But the idea that she was going off to school with all of those men around was ripping a hole through his heart. He wanted her, but not just her body. He wanted to make her his. He knew it was wrong, he knew he would burn in hell for all eternity for it, but he wanted her love. He wanted to take her until she belonged to only him, until the idea of any other man repulsed her.

“Don’t ask me questions I can’t answer, Izzy. Just stay.” His voice was gentle. “Please.”

She shook her head.

“I can’t, Sean.” She felt her eyes fill and prayed that the tears would remain silent. “I’m sorry. It hurts too badly to be around you. I know I shouldn’t have come. I just…”

“It hurts to be around me?” He turned her to face him as he framed her face. “Oh Izzy. I’ve hurt you. Damn it, don’t you know that’s what I’ve been trying to avoid?”

She was forced to look up at him. If he saw the tears maybe he would understand. Because she couldn’t find the words to express the anguish that was loving him.

“Oh baby. Izzy, you’re crying.” He bent down and kissed her tear streaked cheeks. “Baby, please don’t cry. I don’t want to be the reason you hurt. You don’t know what it does to me to see you in pain.”

She placed her hand on his chest, gently pushing him away. He held strong, not allowing her to separate them.

“But you do hurt me, Sean.” She shook her head. “I know you don’t mean to. I know you don’t want me to love you. But I can’t help what I feel. I hurt so badly, Sean. I just want it to go away. But it won’t. I love you so much.” Needing his strength and his warmth, she grabbed on to him. Clutching his shirt in her hands she continued, “Will it ever go away? Am I fated to love you for the rest of my life?”

God, he hoped so, although he knew he shouldn’t.

“Yes, you are.” He had said it without thinking. His unconscious desires mixed with his unplanned response.




8 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Ooh, very mysterious. Your interview makes me wonder just what sort of issues you write about that most publishers shied away from. And the blurb is equally curious. What exactly did Justin do? Guess, I'll just have to go find out, huh?

Great hooks.

It was nice to meet you, Nicole! Loved the interview.

txconsrv09 said...

great interview with Nicole ..Nicole is a brilliant writer ..love all her books ...thanks again Molly ..for spotlighting this very special lady ...

CynStorm said...

Great interview! Good Job!

I love Caramel Macchiatos, they are my favorite too!

Awesome as always Nicole!

Gros Bisou,
Cyn

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an emotional excerpt. Excellent interview, Nicole.

Best of luck with your new release, it sounds fabulous.

Mary,www.authormaryc.com

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks for being with me today Nicole:) I'm just beginning to read your books and look forward to more!

Em Petrova said...

Love your hot new cover, and great interview. Although you didn't mention a thing about hazel nut iced coffee in your drink answer. How can you neglect the hazelnut iced coffee?

Nicole Morgan said...

Thanks everyone for the sweet and funny comments. I'll have to be sure to try that iced hazelnut coffee than Em mentioned. :)

Thanks for having me Molly :)

AJ Llewellyn said...

Nicole, just saw this post. Thank you so much for the shoutout and best of luck with your book. I love the hot cover and the excerpt!