Monday, April 13, 2020

Life As A Red Vest, Week #37

Day 167:
Arrived at 10; no sign of MK or Scott, so clocked in at ten after and went to relieve Marci for lunch.  An hour later, was sent up front, then on my half hour lunch.at noon, which thoroughly confused me!  Returned to lumber to give M her 15 minute break, and the scanner wasn't working.  Had to key in everything by hand, which was a PAIN!

Went back to the front, and things were definitely slower than they had been last week.  Had a couple of hiccups; since I'd left my phone at home, I wasn't able to look up anything except in the book or by using F-11.  Sometimes it worked; sometimes I had to call for backup.  Toward the end of my shift, I had a couple with two metal corner pieces, and knocked them off three times!  The first time, I caught it; the customer caught it the 2nd time; but 3rd time's the charm....they clattered to the floor and made sure everyone at the front end was awake!

I wanted to leave at 4, but Krissy asked me to stay til 5, so I did, which proved to be a good thing....my register froze and we had to re-boot it.  As I was taking off my vest, Steve walked by, so I flagged him down to tell him I'd not been paid for the 1st week back.  He told me to write my hours down, so I did, and gave them to him.  Hopefully, I'll find out tomorrow or later this week when I'll get my $180!  Clocked out at 5 and came home.

Outfit:  Blue thermal tee, red v-neck tee, thick silver hoops.

Day 168:
Today was a day when I could have stayed home and everything would have run smoothly.  Arrived at 1; was up front for an hour, then sent to Lumber for 15 mins.  Was then sent outside for a half an hour, where I rang up 2 customers and chatted with Rachel until Brea returned.  MK sent me on break, then A told me I could do the AP4Me....I decided to clean out my email and see if there was any training courses I needed to complete.  Got halfway through one when A told me I was needed up front.  Was then sent to Lumber for an hour, then to lunch.  After lunch, went back to lumber for half an hour, then went up front til close.  My final customers had a washer and dryer, so wiped down my area while we waited for it to arrive.  After they left, I cleaned the training room and emptied the trash, then went up front and sanitized the baskets.  Clocked out at 8.

While in Lumber the 2nd time, a customer asked for someone to get him 14 pieces of lumber...and I promptly forgot what length.  As I was at lunch, one of the lumber loaders informed me the guy was incensed b/c 'you had that length this morning!"....but no, we've never carried that length!

Outfit:  Crew-neck Cabelas sweatshirt, diamond stud earrings.

Day 169:
Arrived around 12:30, and upon being told I wasn't needed until around 2pm, I clocked in and completed the training I started Tuesday, then went ahead and did the 2nd course on my schedule.  I did two weeks' worth of AP4Me, and had just finished the last quiz when I heard my name being paged.  Went up front and was told to go to Lumber, to give Marci her 15 min break.

It was COLD down there!  I was so happy when she returned, though slightly reluctant to move away from the heater, lol!  Worked up front until 2:45, when I was sent on my 1st 15 min break.  Then was sent to lumber, but this time I retrieved my red hooded sweatshirt!  Spent the remainder of the day in Lumber, and things went smoothly.  At 6:30, I sanitized the carts, then after Tasha cleaned out the registers, I wiped down my area, then all the counters, phones, screens, and scanners.  Pam did the pop count while I spot-swept the floor and emptied the trash.  We both helped Desiree clean the break room, then were free to go.  Clocked out at 8pm:)

Also checked the schedule and saw I'm scheduled Sat-Sun, 10-7, so I'm taking the next two days off....unless I get called in.

Outfit:  Black long-sleeved shirt, Purdue tee, seahorse earrings, pink compression socks.

Day 170:
I'm convinced that everyone in Knox Co who received their stimulus check this week decided to spend it on home improvement.  Why?  From the moment I clocked in at 10 in lumber until we closed, we were PACKED!  At 11:30, I got the call to take my 15 min "when you can"....I finally felt comfortable leaving Marci all alone around 1, and took a fast pit stop.  At 1:40, I got the call to go to lunch, but the line was still back to the center aisle.  Finally at 2:05, Cassie arrived and I escaped to the break room.

When I came back an hour later, there was a lull.....that only lasted 15 mins before picking back up!  To make matters worse, at 4:30 the credit card machines went down, to the alarm of 90% of our customers.  Some became irate and stormed out; others left their carts and ran to the ATM.  Some accepted the offer to invoice their cart and return the next day.  Machines came back online five mins later, but for only another 15 mins before they crashed again.  Traffic slowed way down, but we were still constant.  I was on Reg 1, and ran out of $5 and $1s before switching to Reg 2.....then I ran out of pennies!

I wiped everything down, but couldn't sweep, since the broom was MIA.  Thankfully, Mel said no to the pop count, so took down the tax exempts and loading tickets, then went to clean the break room and training room.  Marilyn took the trash down, then we could clock out.  I'm hoping things tomorrow is steady, but not as busy!

Outfit:  Lt blue Whitehorse sweatshirt, diamond stud earrings.

Day 171:
Began the day in Lumber, and customer A told me he wanted 20 4x4s and 60 1x8s.  Called Gavin, and he said he'd get to it in about 20 mins.  Later, customer returned....G was still working on it.  Long story short, 90 minutes later, it was pulled and ready!  M took her break; I took mine; Kyle filled in when we were busy.  M went to lunch at 1:40; when she returned, Brenda took my place and told me I was needed up front.  Rang up 2 customers, then was told to go to lunch.  Was up front the rest of the day.  Wiped down two of the four tables in the break room and was working on the last chair for the 2nd table when I was told to finish the chairs and clock out; o/t was cancelled for the rest of the month.

Got my schedule fixed; I'm working M-T-F next week....except for the fact I can't work on Friday, due to teleconference with the dr!  Tasha said they'd work it out.

Outfit:  Bless This Mess sweatshirt; silver cross earrings. 

No comments: