Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Life As A Red Vest, Week #40

Day 181:
Got called in at 2; I made it by 2:30.  Retrieved a mask from the training room, and instantly hate it.  Saw Steve as I was heading up front and asked if I could formally protest.....he said sure, but it wouldn't do me any good!  I said I know; just wanted to go on record!

Was up front for an hour, then was sent to Lumber, then outside, where I stayed until 7.  Went to dinner at Subway at 5:15, then was so happy when HC Cindy closed me down!  Went back up front, and sanitized Reg 12 and 13, plus emptied trash and swept.  At 8, volunteered to clean the break and training rooms, and was finished by 8:40.  Hauled the trash down, then returned up front and locked the doors, and waited for C to finish emptying registers.  We managed to leave at 9:30:)  Jess had taken care of the bathrooms, so whoo hoo!

Outfit:  White/gold shirt, blue vest.  No earrings, due to stupid black mask, which made it hard to breathe, and out in LG, had to take off my glasses.

Told C I was not going to look at my phone tomorrow until 5pm, ha ha!  The masks just don't make sense; it's like using birth control after being told you're 6 mos pregnant!

Day 182:
Went in at 3:30, and was very happy learn that if cashiering in LG, no masks are necessary!  Whoot!  Things went smoothly, and took my half hour lunch at 6.  Elijah left at 7, and Mel shut me down at 8.  I cleaned the training and break rooms, then went up front and returned a few items to Tools, then sanitized the safety gates.  We all clocked out at 9:30:)  I have to go to Indy tomorrow, but said I would come in when I got back into town and help close.

Outfit:  Dark yellow tee, faded capris, leg wrap and yellow compression socks.

Day 183:
Things were going well.  Had a good dr visit; good visit with Liz, ate both Subway and Popeye's.  D dropped me at work at 7:30; they had 3 lanes going.  I went to the back, grabbed my vest and mask, and headed up front.  Took over for Marilyn (who'd finally earned her vest!), and an hour later, realized I'd not clocked in!  My 8pm customer was a CFH.....her invoiced order didn't get added to her items, so had to call Mel when we could no longer locate it....even after being invoiced twice more!  Then, when I went to ring up the rest of her items again, scanner refused to cooperate.  Switched registers....still couldn't find invoice!  So she finally paid for it separately.....and I escaped to clean the break and training rooms.  Was gonna clean the bathrooms, but Gracie wanted that job, so I did the pop count.  Apparently took too much time doing it, for when I arrived at the front, everyone grabbed soda from the cart and began stuffing it into the coolers.  I'd clocked in at 8:30, so when we clocked out at 10, I noted my mistake.  Still have to work 10-7 tomorrow, despite asking Scott if I could work 5-close or even 3-close!  *sigh*

Outfit:  Blue Cabella's sweatshirt, Jeff Band tee, 'Marauder's Map' mask.

Day 184:
Clocked in and was happy to be in Lumber:)  Marci was going to lunch, so took over for her.  We were steady, then at noon, Aggie called and told me to take my break when I could.  I SHOULD have taken it around 12:30, but Marci was waiting for an override, so I took care of the rest.  By the time she got her o'r, the line was long again, so I stuck around.  An hour later, Marci took her 2nd break, since I was headed to lunch.  When she came back, I 'escaped', and took not only my 15, but my hour long break at McAllister's.

When I returned, both Marci and Brea were headed home; soon I needed help, so Sacred came down for 30-45 mins, then Sara came down and stayed.  Earlier, Mel had to deal with an angry customer who'd had an issue with another associate.  One of my customers complained about Scott, and around 5, I had to pacify a 'diva' contractor, but then incurred his wrath when I first informed him he only had $78 in his LAR, and then when he went to write his check, told him the wrong amount.  He huffed, so I pushed his cart behind the counter until Mon.  Ten minutes later, he was back; Brandon had taken care of him up front.  I gave him his cart and told him to have a good day, then apologized again for the screw-ups.

Things settled down, then at 6, we couldn't get anyone to come down for an override on a $9 gallon of paint.  Jess finally arrived, then Aggie called at 6:30 and asked if I needed a break.  I told her no, the line was long, and I was due to get off in 30 mins anyway.  Sara was dealing with a complicated order, so I turned off my light and continued to ring up people, and my final customer needed an approval code.  I was on the phone for 15 mins for authorization, and the customer was both confused and irritated by the delay.  I finally got my code, and finished his order.  He left; I gathered my stuff and left!  Clocked out at 7:30:)

Outfit:  Black/gray long sleeved leopard print shirt, blue stud earrings.

Day 185:  Mother's Day
Clocked in at 10:30, and ate a cupcake that Aggie had brought, as well as wearing the yellow flower ring that decorated said cupcake, on my little finger!  There was also one last chocolate long john doughnut, so was happy.

I'd brought Logan, Kyle, and Elmer each a candy bar (I'd also brought one for Mel...she was thrilled!), and L snatched his up instantly, saying he needed it!  K and E each thanked me....Gavin refused my offer to buy him something!  First half of the shift went smoothly; then Marci went to lunch at 1:30 and I had a bit of a rush.  Paged for help twice, but no one showed up, so thanked everyone for their patience!

Went to lunch at 2:30, just as Reg 2 ran out of fives and tens.  Had fixed a caesar pasta salad before leaving, so ate that, plus my own Twix bars.  When I returned, had a woman wondering about a door price....discounted it, then looked at the item #....the picture she showed me was similar, but the item # was off by one.  Gave it to her anyway, even though she was still griping about the $4 price hers had rang up.  Hopefully when she looks at the receipt, she'll see I still discounted it!  Things slowed down after that, and at 6, Marci did the soda count, I swept.  Gracie brought down the soda and filled it; Marci left at 7; I started sanitizing.  Had two customers....one for the busted concrete, another for an outlet strip.  When Jasmine came down at 7:30, I had everything sanitized and told her all she had to do was empty the trash and sanitize the carts.  Clocked out at 7:34:)

Outfit:  Long-sleeved black tee, Classy tee.

No comments: