Tuesday, June 16, 2020

Life In Lumber, Week #46

Day 206:  12:30-close
Arrived, and discovered Kayleigh was at #2, so did the AP4Me, checked my email, and put in my request for July 31-Aug 2nd off.  K needed help with an LAR, so showed her how to do it.  Soon, Aggie came down and sent me up front, where I stayed until after lunch.

Discovered Brandy and Jasmine had both quit; J over 'drama'...apparently MK was 'showing favoritism' toward her, and no one knew why B left.  Also, all of the other closers today had called in.

Got some unpleasant news; realtor called saying we were going to have to put out $5500 to drill another well, since the existing one is 'too close to the septic field'.  I was furious, but remained calm, and told him to call Mom.

Went to lunch (McDs) at 4, and got a hold of Mom to give her the news, who simply said to take a few days and to pray about it.  After lunch, I went out to LG, because apparently neither Bree nor Eli are allowed out there anymore, b/c 'B wanders around and we can't find her' and 'E spends too much time on his phone'.  I said I'd worked with both and hadn't seen either behavior, but not my call.  I was elected to go outside from 5-7.

Found Jill training a young lady, who was getting fed up with the treatment she was receiving, and managed to make the shift 'fun' for her, so hopefully she's staying.  She was a blessing in disguise, since she was able to go help a customer load her car when the boys were busy.  Also found out Autumn will be in the paint department this fall:)

Customer arrived with the Marauder's Map mask; I pulled mine from my pocket and we had a an enjoyable conversation about Harry Potter and masks in general.

Apparently, another piece of scuttlebutt is all the new seasonal workers are in a panic over who's being let go at the end of the month.  I reminded them that I began my job as 'seasonal', and I'm still here!  Tried to calm Eli down about it.

After closing down LG, we went to Lumber to give K her 15 min break, then took ours.  Went up front at 8; B took off to clean the bathrooms; E sanitized the front while I handled customers.  I emptied the trash at closing time, and we all clocked out around 9:30.  At 9pm, J thanked me for making her experience 'enjoyable'.

Outfit:  Black lace tee, dark capris.

Day 207:  12:30-close
Had another good day:)  Arrived; discovered I was to be up front.  Good-naturedly complained to HC C, who told me it wasn't anything I did.  When I arrived, there was no where for me to be, so asked HC A if I was supposed to give someone a break.  Was told to go to Lumber, to relieve G, then Kem.  Ended up staying down there all evening.

Went to lunch at 4 (Wendy's) and was told the mistake of last week was an honest one.  Was doing closing duties by 6:30, and things went smoothly.

Outfit:  Purdue tee, faded capris.

Day 208:  12:30-close
Had an AMAZING day!
-Discovered my paycheck had $30 more than originally thought;
-Mom told Dave she wasn't going to shell out any more $$ for the house; he found another buyer 15 minutes after she texted me;
-BG showed up right before I went to lunch....with his wife, I might add, but we enjoyed 'ganging up' on him and teasing him!  He asked me if I worked all over, and told him I'm primarily in Lumber.  When he left, I told him to come back more often, ha ha!
-Took myself to Arby's to 'celebrate';
-From 5-close, it alternated busy and slow.  Jill was with me until close, then Eli came down to help bust the line, and Sara hung out with me from 8:30-9.

Outfit:  Black square neck, dark capris.

Day 209:  12-close
Day started on a weird note.  Had dream K and J decided, at the beginning of their wedding, to push it back a few more months.  I ended up on a pay phone trying to cancel a restaurant reservation in St. Louis, then telling them to make it for the following year.  My alarm went off; I said, 'I'm busy' and shut it off.  Woke up at 9:30.

Arrived, only to have customer #1 with marked down carpet.  Took 20 mins for a HC to finally arrive for my o/r....after I'd already logged onto #3 and helped out another customer.  Was sent on my break at 2, and rode a cart up front, then saw Danielle from RICA and spoke to her for a few mins.  Aliscia came down at 3:30 and helped out until my lunch break at 4 (Subway, plus pasta salad from home), then things were kinda slow-steady until 8:30.  Had another break at 8, then finished the closing duties.

Outfit:  Gold tee, dark capris.

Day 210:  Payday!
Met the family at Denny's for brunch, and was 10 mins late to work....but then discovered my schedule had been changed!  Time clock asked if I was clocking in extremely early or late, or if my schedule was changed.  I clicked 'late', but then noticed on the new one, I wasn't due in until 5:30!  Called Mel, who asked if I could still stay; it hadn't changed on the flow chart. 

The first 4 hours went well, then I went to lunch at McDs and the kids showed up to buy D's Father's Day gift.  Sent Matthew to lunch at 5, and things were fairly steady until 8:30.  Did the closing duties and clocked out at 9:30.  Thank god I have the weekend to recupperate!

Outfit:  Yellow Florida tee, faded capris

No comments: