Friday, June 3, 2016

Flashback Friday: Catching Up....

May 2006:
Stressed out with the prospect of losing our home and having all the kids in the house, I made an error in judgement and demanded J be responsible for her own kids.  At the time, I thought I was employing the 'tough love' strategy; now, ten years later, I see she still made some questionable choices and I should have sucked it up.  The kids did return to me in July, after she yet, again, lost her job.

Sam Hornish Jr won the Indy 500 that year, just barely beating rookie Marco Andretti.  The race was also very hot, nearly 90 degrees that day.

June 1976:
With school out, my mother let us play with her old formal dresses, and we enjoyed playing dress up, as well as riding our bikes.  A and I continued to talk over the tracks, though it only happened whenever we happened to be there at the same time.  We didn't call each other, since neither of us were allowed to use the phone yet!  Back in those days, I only used the phone if I was home and it happened to ring, or I needed to call my mother at work.  If we wanted to get together with friends, we rode our bikes to their house.

**********
Present Day:
I've enjoyed a relaxing week with my parents, and an even more thrilling 100th running of the Indy 500 with my daughter, her boyfriend Mike, Dad, Uncle Bill and Will, and their friends Ron and Pam.  I was thrilled when the rookie I'd chosen to root for, Alexander Rossi, ended up the winner:)  Mom and I watched the recap and the Victory Banquet, then on Tuesday, I took her to an appointment.  Afterwards, we ate lunch at Arni's, then shopped for Alex's 4th birthday presents.  Since A loves My Little Pony and Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, we bought her a DVD of 12 cartoon episodes and a talking Michaelangelo, as well as a puzzle and two MLP toys.


We're meeting in Terre Haute on Sunday at TGI Friday's (that's where Alex chose to go!), and I'll return home with the family.

Tuesday night, Angie Priest and I went water-walking in the Lazy River at Tropicanoe Cove, along with her son Doug.  I also recognized Kevin E's daughter Audra, her hubby, and their six-month-old daughter, Ariel.  Good to see them in person!

Last night, Angie and I went to karaoke.  Here's the breakdown of the songs I sang:
I Will Be  Still couldn't hit high note...
New Divide  Nailed it....
Numb  Crowd pleaser!
Silver Springs Did well, and another crowd pleaser!

I was getting irked when several others who had just sung were back up at the mic; my phone had died, and I was keeping track of the rotation, so I could guestimate when an hour had passed.  I finally went up and politely asked him to put me in, citing the fact I was falling asleep!  He admitted to others paying him $20 to put them in ahead of others, which REALLY pissed me off!  Imagine my shock when I got out to the car....1:30am!  I'd only intended to stay as late as 12:30 or 1.  Thanks Tito....I may not be back on Thursdays for a while, and if I do, I'll be sure to get there at 9 from now on.

Tonight, we're off to Red Lobster for dinner, then tomorrow Brenda, Angie, and I are heading to the Outpost for more 'roke.  Angie wants me to sing Black Velvet, so here's my tentative line up:
Black Velvet  Not too bad...
Spilled Perfume DNH
Heart Like Mine  No energy, though I was applauded....
Hate Me  Guy stopped me and thanked me:)
Famous in a Small Town  Was hi-fived:)
Girl Crush  Whole bar cheered!

Have a wonderful weekend!   

No comments: