Friday, April 21, 2017

Flashback Friday: Making Friends and Heartache

April 1987:
This month began with a letter from my AF officer, who announced he was being discharged for disorderly conduct, and busted down to Sergeant.  He would contact me when he was back home.

In the meantime, friend Carole introduced me to her friend Laura, who was 21, and we decided to go to a local nightclub one evening.  We had a few drinks and danced, then two boys joined us, and bought us a round.  One of the guys and I hit it off, though L didn't seem interested in his friend.  Bob and I danced more, then I ended up going back to his place with him.  Two weeks later, L and I went to another bar, where a guy bought us each a beer..."Ladies, if nothing else, you have a round on me."  I don't drink beer, so it was pretty much wasted on me, lol!  But at one point, I felt someone was standing behind me, so I turned around and there was Bob!

"Took you long enough to realize I was here..." he teased.

He and I spent some time outside necking, then had a misunderstanding about what was going to happen next.  We ended up separated, and I realized my ID was missing.  Without it, I couldn't get back in the dorm, and ended up waking up my grumpy roommate downstairs to let me in.  The next day, I walked home with a girl in my morning class, since she lived next door to Bob and his housemates, and while he was waking up, ended up playing my first game of darts with one of his housemates.  When Bob came out, he handed me his ID and told me he'd woken up with it under his pillow.  Could we go for a walk?  I said sure.

He confessed to having a girlfriend at IU, and was sorry for leading me on.  I told him not to worry, and told him about my AF officer.  I wasn't looking for anything more than just a good time.  Still, I never saw him again afterward.

In the meantime, S sent me a letter and asked me to come down the last weekend in April.  It happened to coincide with the VU Spring Formal, and I'd been asked to attend by friend D (remember him from Halloween '86?  Yeah....all was forgiven....).  Another girl I'd known from VU was also attending BSU, and when I mentioned I was heading south, she asked if I would take her.  So we found a ride to my house, where I'd already arranged to borrow the car for the weekend.

M and I began to clash about halfway to VU.  I was a firm believer at the time of 'driver picks the music', but she was a born-again Christian and wanted to only play Amy Grant tunes.  Since I also love Amy, we jammed to her tunes the rest of the way, even though I was inwardly fuming, since I wanted to listen to MY mix tape.

Anyway, we arrived; I dropped her off at her friends' house, then discovered I couldn't stay with S, since his grandfather was now living with his mother.  No problem; I stayed in my old dorm room.  When it came time for the dance, however, S still hadn't called, so I dressed and prepared for a night with my dance partner.  However, just as I was about to leave, S called and I did something REALLY stupid:  I went to the lobby, took pics of me and D in our finery, then went back to the room, changed, and went to be with S.

For. One. Hour.

I was pissed.

Here I'd missed a magical night of dancing in order to babysit a drunken ex-AF man in the throes of a huge pity party.

The next day, I went back to find a much happier S, but I still had to go home.  M and I left, she rejoicing about her fun weekend and me keeping my misery to myself.  I thought Dad might let me drive the car back to BSU, but he said no.  He drove us back, and it was an uncomfortable drive back to Muncie.


Next Month:  Fun with my Dad!

**********
Present Day:
The body is trying to catch something, and my voice is sliding into the bass octave.  Don't think there will be any karaoke this weekend.

We've been working diligently in the yard, as the temps have been in the upper 70s, and making progress:)

No comments: