Friday, October 20, 2017

Flashback Friday: Halloween, Subdivision-Style!

Oct 1997:
The reason I wanted to live in a subdivision was simple.  We'd have neighbors, and I could turn the kids out on Halloween Night, and let them run around the neighborhood as I did, collecting candy and staying out after dark.

But in our spanking-new subdivision, the houses were so spread out, my kids didn't want to walk/run in their costumes.  The night air was a little chilly, and when it became apparent all the other kids were having one parent drive them around, I put my shoes on and away we went.

In a way, it was fun, getting to meet the neighbors, and my kids were thrilled with the amount of candy they were collecting.  But I was also terrified, because I didn't see well at night, and trying to turn around in a tight spot had me praying I wouldn't accidentally hit something, or damage my car.

When we'd visited the other 25 houses, this mama breathed a sigh of relief and told the kids their father would be driving them around every year from now on!

Next Month:  Early Snowstorm and Being Rescued By The Neighbors:)

**************
Present Day:
Had to make a trip to Lafayette this week, due to a friend's mom passing last week.  Enjoyed catching up with old friends at both the visitation and funeral, esp R's younger siblings, whom I hadn't seen in over 30 years.

Celebrated my parents' 54th wedding anniversary yesterday!  Mom wasn't feeling well, so she didn't go to the funeral, and since she didn't feel like going out to eat, we ordered take out from Walt's Other Pub.  Yummy!

Heading home tomorrow, since choir is singing Saturday night.

1 comment:

Molly Daniels said...

From Flossie Benton Rogers: (Accidentally deleted it):

I love your anecdotes. Happy Anniversary to your parents— what a wonderful milestone.