Friday, July 27, 2018

Flashback Friday: Taxi Mom!

July 1998:
With baseball season over, K had eleven new friends.  Unfortunately, only two lived in our neighborhood, and were gone on vacation.  I did manage to impress one of them with my drumming ability......the kid had a trap set in his room, so I took a deep breath, took the sticks, said a prayer, and did a roll across the skins, earning a 'WOW!  Your mom's COOL!'

But otherwise, the only three kids who were available on a daily basis lived five-ten minutes away.  Every day it was the same thing:  Call the parents of A, B, and Z and arrange a play date.

My daughter, on the other hand. was friends with the kid across the street, and once we actually began to get grass growing in our yard (she was afraid of the grasshoppers, lol!), she'd spend a lot of time over there.  Unfortunately, this caused some friction after a while, since K and L were at home with a babysitter, and S called me up to tell me her sitter wasn't being paid to watch my child too, and to please limit S's visits to once or twice a week?

S was very unhappy with this arrangement, so I invited some of the baseball kids over to our house one glorious afternoon.  K had 3 friends over; S had 2.  One of the moms expressed concern, but laughed when I said all 7 kids left me alone, only asking for snacks and drinks a few times during that afternoon!  I loved it; they entertained themselves, and let me read!  It was probably my 1st truly enjoyable afternoon in the new house.

Next Month:  State Fair, and Back To School!

********
Present Day:
I'm still at my mom's, and today she has an MRI to see what's going on with her back.  Soon, Mom will have a second opinion on her spine, then start PT.  Dad's chauffeur duties don't halt until Sept 7th, but he'll just have to get along without me either after the 21st or 30th.  Depends on if I decide to do the Latina Festival in Vincennes.

If I didn't mention it, the people of Lafayette LOVE me!  I sold 9 books at the Mosey Down Main St on the 14th, and 6 last Friday during the Gallery Walk:)  Since I'll still be here on Aug 11th, I'm signing up for another Mosey.

Went to the 4-H fair last night and had a blast!  Rode the ferris wheel, the Jungle Twist (cross between a kiddie coaster and the Tilt-A-Whirl), Bumper Cars, and the Storm.  Angela and I also ate foot long hot dogs, drank plenty of water, saw her grandkids, two classmates (Brad Wharf and Tracey Rutan), Rita Ratliff, and prowled the Vendor Tent as well as the 4-H exhibits, and petted horses, pigs, and bunnies:)

Hoping to go see Phoenix tomorrow:)

We've also eaten out a LOT this week:
Sun:  Cathy brought pulled pork
Mon:  Meatballs
Tues:  Arni's
Wed:  Red Lobster
Thurs:  I brought home Ribeye sandwiches from the fair:)

No comments: