Sunday, May 19, 2019

Life As A Red Vest, Week #8

Day 50:  Back In Lumber!
Arrived, and was very dismayed to learn that both the scanners on registers 2 and 3 were not working.  Cindy came down and swapped them out, and the one on #2 worked for exactly two customers' worth, then quit.  I spent the next 2 hours keying in everything by hand, and letting Tiffany take the more complicated ones.

Cindy was griping, also.  Apparently, for whatever reason, several of the floor people had been sent home, and we were inundated with questions about different products.

Steph asked me to work her June 1st shift in LG from 12-4, then my own regular shift from 5-close.  I said okay, but we'll see if Tasha approves it.

Today is my 10th anniversary of my 1st published book; I was reading the newest Catered Romance proof on my lunch break, and Cassie asked if I liked to read in my spare time.

"Yes, and even write them."

"YOU wrote that?  WOW....."

Sacred appeared and told me I'd hooked her; she was halfway through AFD and couldn't wait to finish it and continue on.

It was also 'leave everything in Lumber' night.....at the end of the evening, and throughout the shift, we had to return a nightlight, light bulbs, seeds, a T-handle, and electrical tape.

Rain happened to fall the minute Mgr Brandon called for a cart run, which sparked hilarity between the lumber associates!  At the end of the shift, the rain had tapered off to  a light drizzle, and a beautiful rainbow was in the sky.

Tomorrow, I'm back in LG....here's hoping it goes smoothly!

Day 51:  LG
Today was on the cool side, low 70s,  Spent 30 mins in LG, then Sacred told me she was being sent to Lumber, but didn't want to go.  I told her I'd do it, so relieved Aliscia and rang up customers and did the soda count.  Saw friends C and P, who own the local brewery, and chatted with them.

Returned to LG, then took my 15 min break from 6:45-7.  Sacred left at 7, and it was fairly steady.  I ran out of register tape and had to have Aggie bring me some, plus some trash bags.  One gentleman had several plants from the discount bin, plus wanted mulch and a wheelbarrow.

Another lady tried to pay for her purchases with $100, then charge the remaining $15.  Her card was declined twice, so she found another $20.  She returned several minutes later and tried to charge a bag of garden tools, first with one card, then the other, then the 1st one again, even arguing with me she hadn't tried it yet!  She finally got the hint she didn't have enough credit, and I gently suggested she go home and check her bank account.

She left, then Tasha and Aggie arrived to close down LG.  I emptied the trash, then took it and the front line's trash back to the compactor, then shuttled carts.  Went to the bathroom, and when I returned, Mikayla helped me take something back to Millwork.  Twelve more carts, and we were told to clock out.

Here's hoping tomorrow goes as smoothly!

Day 52:  Happy Release Day!
It rained today, but stopped before my shift.  Still, wore long sleeves and jeggings to work.  Shift went well; steady and not too cold or hot.  Didn't have to call for any overrides.

Had a lot of people buying our shredded mulch on sale, 4 for $10.  Just realized I forgot to check the register tape, but had the trash taken out, the counters cleaned, and the covers placed on the credit card machines.

Here's hoping tomorrow is the same!  Supposed to be 85 degrees tomorrow.

All in all, it was a good day, even with the rain.  D took me to lunch at Steak-n-Shake, then we went shopping at Save A Lot.  I watched Nostalgia TV and took a 30 minute nap before getting ready for work.

Day 53:  Promotion!?!?!?!?
I was checking my email before clocking in when Scott called to me from the office.

"I've solved your weekend problem.  How would you like to be the full-time permanent Lumber cashier, M-F, 3-close?"

"I would LOVE that!  Thank you!"

It won't take effect for another week or two, but I'm beyond THRILLED!

Adrianna also said she loves it when I close in Lumber, because she knows everything is done 'right'.

LG went smoothly tonight, just like I hoped:)  I was even able to get off at 9, so I could get home in time for my FB chat/takeover on the Indy Event Reader group:)

Off tomorrow, so here's hoping Friday goes as well:)

Day 54: Roasting In LG
I do mean roasting!  I went through 3 bottles of water.  Evening was slow, but steady.  Register 20's scanner threw a fit, not wanting to scan, so after Tiffany left, I hopped over to hers.

The only notable thing was, a Vietnamese lady came through with two items and used her card, but didn't know her PIN.  She seemed confused when I told her to cancel it and run it as debit, so I cleared it for her, then had her re-insert the card and push credit  She was amazed that it worked that way..."but ees debit..." and went on her merry way.  An hour later, she was back with a LOT more flowers!  I think I may have unleashed a spending monster, ha ha!  That's all for now;  I'm tired, and facing a LONG day tomorrow.  I just hope and pray that it goes well, with no issues!

Day 55:  Farmer's Market, Rendezvous, LG, and Heading North
Got up at 6:30 and was at the Farmer's Market by 7:15.  Set up and sold 5 books, plus bought two of Dan Vaughn's scones, one Ham and Cheese, the other Spinach, Parmesan, and sun-dried tomatoes.  The Spinach one was AWESOME!

K and J brought MJ and Jasmine to see me, and I packed up at 1.

As I was heading home, all went well until I reached my driveway.  A woman ducked into the empty spot, then seemed confused when I turned on my signal.  A man happened to be walking by; there was no traffic behind her, so I rolled down my window and asked him to please guide her backward so I could get into my driveway!  He did, and everything was okay.

Sat down for about 30 mins, then went over to the Rendezvous.  Saw my friend Lori as Martha Washington, so I bought two Buffalo Burgers and went over to sit down and watch her presentation.  Greeted Derek, Liz, Bryan, Adore, Ariel, Jamie, and Master P, then wandered over to see if my friend Pam was there.  She was, and gave me her Twisted Fairy Tales book as a Thank You for putting her in touch with the coordinator three years ago!  Tried to pay her $5, but she refused.  Lori arrived soon after, and we had a good chat.  Left around 3 and went home to take a quick nap and cool off before starting my shift at 5.

Finished packing, then loaded up the truck.  Arrived and discovered Subway had been brought in, so enjoyed 1/3 of a ham sandwich before heading back into the 'sauna'.  Ran hit about 10 mins later, and lasted maybe 30 minutes.  Shift was steady, and at the end of the night, Scott said we did over $200K in business, and he'd heard NO complaints at all:)

Got back in the truck and went first to McD's for a sweet tea, then hit the road.  Trip was uneventful, except for a moment north of Clinton.....I'd turned on my high beams and saw a deer in the median, but it turned around and went the other way when my headlights shone on it!  Thank you Lord!!!

I'm staying home with Mom and listening to the race on the radio, then will watch the replay on TV.

I'm exhausted!

Next Week:  Another Week In LG!

No comments: