Friday, January 24, 2014

Flashback Friday: SPLAT!

Jan 1993:
I was pregnant; morning sickness was wearing off (thankfully!); we'd gotten through a tough money-tight Christmas, and the weather had warmed to a sunny 50 or 60 degrees.  I decided to take K to the park.

He did well for a few minutes, then decided to run off.  I chased him, only to have my left knee give out and I fell on my stomach.  Fortunately, another parent was watching and ran to catch him.  I thanked him, adding I was pregnant, and needed to get home to see if there was any damage from the fall.  He helped us back to our car, and I drove home.

I don't remember if it was that same day or later in the week, but D and I had an argument as I was fixing dinner.  I remember stumbling over to the microwave, but before I got there, I tripped and fell again.  He stopped yelling at me long enough to help me up, told me to sit down, and he got the rest of the meal together.  Fortunately, this little 'peanut' decided to be no problem at all, and didn't cause me any trouble for falling on 'her' twice.  Unlike K, who tried to arrive whenever I picked up anything greater than ten pounds!

It was also this time I was contacted by one of the 1st Step parents, asking if I'd be willing to baby-sit her daughter for a few hours.  I agreed, even though the day I was to be there, I felt horrible.  Instead of cancelling, I went anyway.  And did everything wrong, including trying to nap on the couch during A's nap time.  I'd taken K with me, and he had not only hidden my wallet when I wanted to go to the grocery store or even a McD's run, but drove me crazy with his energy in the new home, and I simply didn't have the energy to keep up with him.

After A's mother returned home, K and I left, but two hours later the phone rang.  Apparently little A had bite marks all up and down her back from where K, who was going through a biting phase, had nipped her several times.  I burst into tears and apologized profusely, but as a result, another sitter for the monthly 1st Step meetings was found.  I was out of my monthly job.

In hindsight, I should not have gone over there in my state of illness, and should have cancelled.  But being stubborn, and thinking my morning sickness would surely wear off soon, I was certain I could handle everything.  But obviously, I was wrong.  I don't take direction well when my head is pounding and I feel sick to my stomach.  Lesson learned.

Present Day:
The temps have been downright frigid the last two weeks, and they don't look as if they're letting up at all until maybe Feb.  So no karaoke again tomorrow.  And the entire family has had the stomach flu.  K had it over the weekend; A caught it Monday morning; I had it Tuesday night; W had to be picked up at school at noon on Wed; S came down with it Wednesday afternoon.  So far (knock wood!) the spouse hasn't been afflicted!

Tonight's the last time to vote in the LRC Reader's Choice Awards.  I hope I do well, and will let you know when I find out!

No comments: