Friday, November 1, 2019

Flashback Friday: Fallout From Halloween

Halloween Recap:
I'd gone as (my interpretation of) a Dallas Cowboy Cheerleader, and another neighbor was a Playboy Bunny.  As the evening wound down, I thought I recognized a voice, but dismissed it, since he didn't live around us.....

November 1979:
I arrived at school the next morning to cat-calls, jeers, whistles, and teasing.  I was asked if I planned to pose for Playboy, and one kid even commented on my costume, even though he'd not seen it.  I just shrank inside myself and tried to get through the day.  I was confused; why weren't they picking on Rhonda, the 9th grader who'd dressed as a Bunny?  What was wrong with my cheerleader costume?

Later that day, I learned the awful truth....the boy who'd seen me had spread the word I'd dressed as a street walker.  I was horrified....and tried to tell a few of my friends the truth.  But the teasing from Mike and his buddies was too much.  I began to try to hide again.

Later on that month, I got a case of cradle cap.  Mom smeared my scalp with aloe vera, and we went to Indianapolis to the Paramount Pizza Palace with friends, to see the massive pipe organ.

For Thanksgiving, we checked into the Holidome in Lebanon, In.  We ate a wonderful Turkey dinner in the restaurant, then Mom and Dad turned us loose.  W and I had our own room, and we were told to swim, play in the arcade, or charge any food to the room.  It was one of my most memorable Thanksgiving days EVER!  The next day, Mom, W and I went shopping in Indianapolis.  I think we went downtown to the LS Ayers store, ate lunch in the Tea Room, and shopped.

Next Month:  I turn 14!

****************
Present Day:
Tonight is the First Friday Art Walk, and the 10th anniversary of The Open Gallery:)  Hoping for a successful evening!

No comments: