Monday, March 27, 2023

Life In Lumber: Y5, W5

 Day 22:  $6184

Shift began with a shock:  One of my co-workers, SK, has brain cancer, and is hospitalized.  She apparently began losing her memory last week, and one side of her face drooped, so it was speculated she'd had a stroke.  Nope...turned out to be undiagnosed lung cancer which spread to her brain.  I was on #9 for an hour (#10 was malfunctioning), then hopped over to Self Checkout until Kel arrived at 5.  Went down to Lumber, and Loader T asked me to get things ready to go (trash-wise) by 7:30. Okay; no problem. Did the prelim duties and was sent to lunch at 6:30.  Did my LU and AP4Me, then took an extra few mins (there was some confusion as to whether I was to take 30 or an hour; I turned it into 30 plus a ten minute break, since I'd not had my 1st one!). When I returned, things had slowed, and pulled trash, mucked out the mats, spot-swept the entire area, plus the 7/16 OSB area. T ended up taking trash at 10; our final customer was at 9:40.  After T brought the hopper back, he brought in the concrete and the other forklift; I closed the door. (I'd locked the doors at 9:55, since we didn't have any cars in the lot). HC C cleaned me out; I put up my vest.  ASM K told us to clock out at 10:25.

Outfit:  Gray hooded sweatshirt, faded jeggings, LJs, small gold hoops


Day 23:  $7504

Was called in at 4, and was surprised to be placed immediately in Lumber.  Was fairly steady; B left at 5 and I had a 'rush', but was able to get my prelim duties accomplished. Mack sent me to lunch at 6:30, and when I returned, things were slow and steady. ASM K left at 7, so I did my LU. At 8:30, pulled the trash, and at 9, began sweeping. Mucked out the mats, sanitized the registers and ALL the counters. When HC K cleaned me out, ASM J came down with Ethan from LG; he took the hopper and brought in the concrete.  Clocked out at 10:30.

Had two funny moments: A) I had called down for an o/r, and when HC C told me she was held up at the CS, I said, "No worries; I'll call 9-1-1....I mean, 99!"  B) Customer had one can of spray paint; I asked, "Do you want your paint in a can-I mean, bag?" He laughed, and said yes, preferably one that sprayed!

Friday, B has to leave at 2 for an eye appointment. I'm scheduled 3-7, but told him I'd get there early; apparently, ASM S is supposed to get ahold of me.  I told ASM J to let him know it was all arranged.

Outfit:  Teal flowered shirt, black vest, faded jeggings, Yukon Tartan studs

I'm off the next two days:)


Day 24:  $4783

Clocked in at 1:45 and printed off April schedule, then headed down to Lumber.  Was fairly slow between 2-3, then as soon as Kem left, I was swamped....and needed an o/r on Customer #1. Pro Se hopped on #2 until ASM K arrived to give it to me.  It was a discounted tool.  Then, #1 ran out of $5, 10s, and 20s, so hopped to #2. Em arrived at 4; she handled the card customers while I handled the cash ones. Things slowed down by 4:30, so after I fronted all the soda, I logged off and went in search of our broom and dustpan, and came up empty. Went up front for bags; we were out, so had to use the white ones. At 5, I took my break, and just as I was finishing up, HC K asked if I'd be willing to go out to Garden until 7. I said yes, so after I was done, I gathered my red hooded sweatshirt, went to Lumber to inform Em, and headed outside.  It was breezy, and had to put on the sweatshirt around 6. Only had a handful of customers, and at 6:30, I couldn't 'wake up' my register, and had to send my customer inside. Called ASM S, who said he'd be there shortly, but never did. Called back around 7:15; he told me to page for Charlie, who arrived with Chris B, and they closed me down. Think I finally clocked out around 7:30.

Had a private conversation with Kem about if she could tell the difference in the mornings who had closed the night before. "Yes. When you're not here, the schedule is on the desk, the trash isn't pulled, and the floor's a mess."  That made me feel good:)

Outfit: Red/black plaid, black vest, dark jeggings, thin gold hoops

I'm off to SI Comic Con tomorrow!  Not working Palm Sunday, unless they call me in.




No comments: