Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Terrific Tuesday with Fiona McGier:)

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.

Hi, my name is Fiona McGier and I write contemporary erotic romance books, specializing in alpha heroines and very hot and determined heroes.

Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?

Yes, but I don't have much of it written yet...as often happens, it was a dream I woke up with, and the story arc is still "percolating" in my brain. But it involves aliens and genetic research, and if it could be true, it would be really frightening!

Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?

Um...actually...can I say "no comment" here? Though my husband knows what I was like before he married me, we've been happily-married for almost 30 years, and I'd like to keep it that way! ;-D

How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?

I write first, then when I get to the editing I do before I submit it, that's when I do any research I may need to do.

Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?

Just that falling in love doesn't have to involve abandoning your brain. My alpha heroines are not looking for a man to complete them, they just enjoy hot sex with gorgeous men. The heroes really need to work to prove to them that their lives need to be intertwined from then on.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?

I usually try to think through the story arc, and some scenes, then I just start writing...and yes, often the characters take the action in a direction I hadn't anticipated until the words came out on my monitor!

How long did it take for you to be published?

Two years of submitting stuff and getting many, many rejection letters from the bigger publishers. Then I discovered the world of indy publishers and eBooks, and danced in the street when I got my first contract. I still feel that way each time a publisher lets me know that my story has captured interest.

If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?

Get a second job now...writing may be your passion, but it's going to be a long haul to ever making enough for the IRS to call it more than a "hobby".

Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?

I have terrible handwriting, and clutch the writing implement so tightly that I get cramps in my hand after a short while. So laptop it is...I have an ergonomic chair and a comfy nook in the lower level of our house...I LOVE my laptop! I also like to have an alcoholic beverage nearby, for inspiration! Or coffee if it is early in the day, but usually I can only carve out writing time very late at night when coffee would be apt to interfere with my 4-5 hours of sleep per night.

Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?

I don't really read much contemporary romance, I just write it. I love to read paranormal romance. I have enjoyed Mary Janice Davison's books for her cheeky heroines. Laurel Hamilton writes strong heroines as well, and very hot men. So does Angela Knight, and Kate Douglas.

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I have 10 tattoos and have dated bikers. See question # 3!

For Fun:

What is your favorite love scene to write or read? (ie: First kiss, passion after a fight, reunion)

I love to write about when 2 very turned-on people are first exploring each others' bodies and desires. If done right, a hot episode like that can ensure they spend the rest of their lives together, sharing that magic.

What is your favorite Valentine’s Day memory?

When our 4 kids were very young, my husband once saved up his gas money to buy me a card and a single rose, because that was all he could afford. The gum-cracking girl in the grocery store insulted him, insinuating that he was cheap. He was almost in tears when he gave it to me, and watched anxiously for my reaction. I cried tears of happiness because I had just had our 4th baby in 5 years, and I felt fat and unattractive. I was so glad he still loved me, that my reaction assured him that the checker knew nothing, and all was right in our world.

Sweetest gift ever given to you?

My first laptop, then the second one when the first one was acting up. Husband has the computer acumen, and wanted to show me how much he supports my writing efforts.

Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.

My website is: www.fionamcgier.com, and the first page is my blog.

My latest book is Secret Love, and it is available at: http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com/torrid/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=8&products_id=560&zenid=10553f18fca39af1e43354ad12876fd9

You can also find my books at Amazon and All-Romance eBooks.

Blurb:

Sheena has spent 12 years working for a government agency so secret that she didn't even learn what it was called for a year! She enjoys the work, but is getting bored. She tries her usual cure; a new man. But something about this one is different; she develops feelings. And in her world, even having feelings is dangerous. Indulging them by falling in love can be deadly

In this scene, Sheena has some time off in-between assignments, and she is staying in a "safe house" apartment above a bar in which even spies can feel relaxed. In walks an internationally famous star of action movies, and takes her breath away. He has indicated he is also interested...now what?

Finding it hard to think, Lenora wondered if it would be safe to take him upstairs. She felt his hands now moving on her, and realized that at this particular moment she didn’t care any more. She had to have this man in her bed, and soon. And her apartment was the closest and safest place to do that.

“I’m staying in a company apartment, right upstairs,” she told him, “So all we have to do is lose your muscle-men, and we can head up there.”

“Give me a moment to do that, while I still have enough blood in my brain to remember how to talk,” he said, moving off of his barstool to walk over to what appeared to be the head of his security detail.

Sheena didn’t even bother to hide her desire as she watched his well-shaped body move. He was taller than she’d imagined, and had an athlete’s build with muscles rippling visibly even under his clothes.

His head of security was very unhappy with what he was being told, and she heard words like high-class hooker, and thief being thrown around, but she also heard Cory asserting his client privileges, threatening to find other security guys if these ones didn’t want the job anymore.

She finished her drink while watching them argue. Harry leaned over the bar, wiping the surface with a towel, while he spoke in a low voice.

“He’d better be worth it, girl. You know upstairs guests are supposed to be vetted ahead of time. He’s not the only one taking a huge risk here.”

She smiled tightly at Harry.

“I know what I’m doing. I’m not worried.”

“I hope you’re right,” he said, moving away as Cory turned back to her.

“So?” she asked him.

She was struck anew by just how good-looking he was as he walked back to her. His straight, black hair was longer than most men wore it these days, and his skin was a bronze color…she remembered reading somewhere that his father was a Native American, and his mother was an heiress. His eyes were so dark they were almost black, and he carried himself as if he expected to get his way. She respected that in a man. Not that she wanted to be ordered around, but it was always more fun to get men like that so aroused that they were willing to do anything she might desire; they were more of a challenge when they were so confident to begin with.

For his answer he pulled her up to stand on the ledge of her chair, and he wrapped one hand in her hair, to crush her lips in a kiss that forced a response out of her, her mouth opening to duel with his tongue, her breath racing…her heart pounding. His other hand was busy learning all of the intricacies of her curves, finally resting on her lower back, to press her closer to his erection, which held great promise for the rest of the night.

She gasped, when he freed her mouth to allow them both to breathe.

“Let’s get upstairs now!

7 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm lovin' your cover. Enjoyed the interview too. :)

Kim Bowman Author said...

From one Mary Janice Davidson fan to another - CONGRATS! I wish you many sells and many many more books!

Fiona McGier said...

Thanks, Molly, for the chance to yak about my books here on your site. And I agree about the cover...Gemini does fabulous covers! She's a real "Gem"!

Maeve Greyson said...

Great interview and really enjoyed the excerpt! *sigh* These blogs are so hard on my book-buying budget.

Sarah J. McNeal said...

Just thought I'd drop by and show my love, Fiona.

Gemini said...

Working with Fiona is a cover artist's cake walk...no kidding. Her characters practically pop onto the page. She describes them perfectly until I can "see" them! Good Luck with this one, and your upcoming release!

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks for being with me Fiona:) I'm in agreement: Awesome cover!