Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Terrific Tuesday with Marie Beau:)

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.

Hi Molly!

Thanks for having me here today. I’ve lived in New England most of my life, but I love to travel. I’ve seen a lot of this country and I plan to see more. I love being able to use what I’ve seen in the stories that I write. Give others a glimpse into someplace new.

Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?

Not after, but I have one story in the back of my mind that I won’t let myself write because it scares me too much. I won’t let myself get caught up in it.

Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?

Every story I write has a little bit of me in it. I can usually see some characteristic of mine in the heroine and obviously things I’ve seen or done are used, too.

How much research do you do?

Well, for example, in Wolf! I had to research the areas where they might live and the environment they thrive in. And then I had to research the region I had chosen so I could write realistically in case anyone who lives in that area happens to read it. A good story needs to stay as real as possible, I think, to make the reader “believe”.

Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?

A bit of the research needs to be done beforehand, but most of my research is done as I’m writing, pretty much on a need to know basis.

Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?

Maybe in this case that we need to trust our instincts more. But then again, with a shape shifter tale what could you expect!

Are you a plotter or a pantser?

Pantser all the way. Plotting a story kills it every time for me. I know very little when I start a story. I know the beginning, maybe a scene or two for the middle, and how it will end. How it gets there is up to my characters. And they haven’t let me down yet! And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own? Yeah, I’ve been lead by the nose down a different trail many times and if I fight it the story shrivels up until I find my way back.

How long did it take for you to be published?

LOL In all honesty, about 10 years – BUT only the past couple years have been actively spent pursuing my craft. I wrote my first novel about ten years ago (and it’s still waiting for the major rewrite it needs before it’s ready to submit anywhere). Plus I wrote a bunch of children’s stories (that’s how it all started – making up stories to tell my daughter at bedtime). So I submitted a little, got back a pile of canned rejections and set it all aside for about 5 years before I revisited what I had written. Then I started collecting books about writing (yes, collecting because to this day I haven’t read most of them). Ah, but then I learned to edit. I had always been a good proofreader – goes hand in hand with the administrative work I’ve done – and I applied as an editor in the growing world of epublishing. That’s when I learned what was wrong with my writing. I could see the problems in other people’s writing and I finally saw them in my own. A year later, Wolf! was published.

If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?

You’re not ready. Study other people’s writing. Pick out what you like and figure out why you like it. Make it real!

Laptop or pen and ink?

Keyboard 100%. My hand cramps when I hold a pen for too long, plus I can’t write as fast as I type and ideas get lost.

What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?

Not much...just me and my computer, I can pretty much filter out noise and other distractions.

Who are your favorite authors?

There isn’t enough room here, plus I find new authors that I like every day!

Who would you say influenced you the most?

Probably Nora Roberts because of her Irish trilogies, and Katherine Stone because I fell in love with the lyrical way she writes. I think she was the first writer to actually make me aware of a writing style.

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I play the guitar and sing and write some of my own music. Yes, I would like to see them published someday, too.

For Fun:

What is your favorite love scene to write or read? (ie: First kiss, passion after a fight, reunion)

Reunions are my favorite!

What is your favorite Valentine’s Day memory?

That one’s easy. My husband, before we were married, had me do a scavenger hunt for my gifts. The final gift was my engagement ring under my pillow.

Sweetest gift ever given to you?

See above. LOL

Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.

Well, here’s a little snippet about Wolf! It’s the only one so far, but there will be a sequel – soon I hope.

Lyssa Merrick is happy with her life leading wildlife and wilderness expeditions through the upper Adirondacks. When Wolfe Reardon walks into Wilderness Wanderings, he knows he’s met his mate. Lyssa, unfortunately, is not so happy to discover her destined mate is a wolf. Long ago she swore she would never be a member of a pack again and she’s sure nothing he says will change that.

Excerpt:

He stepped closer to the counter, close enough that when he reached out, his hand covered hers. Shockwaves raced through her system.

Her heartbeat kicked up a notch. She licked her lips and took a deep breath. Oh God, now what have I done. Lyssa tried to slide her hand out from under his but he wrapped his thumb around to her palm and gently held her hand in place. She swallowed hard and set the pen back down, her insides melting.

The scent came to her again, stronger than before.

Her gaze jerked up. Darn it all, I’m really slipping. Wolf!

Marie Beau

Release date: 10/1/2010

Whispers Publishing


For more about Lyssa and Wolfe, visit me at my website


BTW, a 'Happy Birthday' shout to my youngling, who turned 7 today!

7 comments:

Marie Beau said...

Thanks for having me here today, Molly. I hope your readers enjoy a peek into my story.

Marie Beau said...

Feel free to pop on over to my blog to see the latest review!
http://authormariebeau.blogspot.com/2011/02/new-review.html#comments

Marie Beau said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Marie Beau said...

http://www.authormariebeau.blogspot.com/

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks for being with me today Marie:)

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed the Interview! And WOLF sounds great! On my TBB list now!

hugs, Kari Thomas
www.authorkari.com

Dawn Carrington said...

Great interview, Marie! And a belated Happy Birthday to your youngest!