Friday, April 8, 2016

Flashback Friday: Bicentennial Ups and Downs

April 1976:
Easter was much warmer that year!  Mom has a picture of me in a turquoise dress with a white ruffled collar, which doubled as cap sleeves, standing with my sister in front of the church.

In school, we were practicing for a musical performance.  My class was singing several songs, including 'In The Good Ol' Summertime' and 'Daisy, Daisy, Give Me Your Answer True....I'm half crazy, over the love of you.....', and we were taught a dance.  Which meant we were paired with the opposite sex.  Since I was the tallest girl, I was paired with the tallest boy, Robby Mason.  He irritated the heck out of me, by jumping off the risers.  One day, Ms Gramza had us call out our names, so she'd know who was where, and that we'd know how to line up to get onstage.  Rob had just jumped on and off, then called out, 'Mason'.  I was so furious, I blurted out 'Robby!', which caused everyone to giggle; Ms G to look up; and I know I went crimson with embarrassment!  My classmates called me 'Robby' for at least a week afterward.

I was looking forward to my costume.  At first, I was to have a hoop skirt, and Mom was going to get me one from the Jeff HS drama department.  But then my placement changed (instead of being part of The Good Ol' Summertime, I would now be part of 'Daisy), and was told to wear a bustle instead.  One of Mom's friends made me one and sewed it to one of my ankle-length dresses.

When we practiced for our program, Ms. G decided only two couples were needed for the dance, so Rob and I didn't have to get off the bleachers.  I was both angry and relieved, since I pictured Rob tossing me off the stage at the end of our performance!

I also witnessed the 6th graders singing 'Fifty Nifty United States' and wondered how in the world someone could memorize all fifty states in alphabetical order!  (Three years later, I learned the song, and can still sing it to this day!)

I also remember taking at least two class trips:  One to local Indiana historical sites, like the John McCutcheon House, which was also a stop on the Underground Railroad, and Prophet's Rock. We probably toured Battleground, but I didn't pay that close attention!  I think we also went to the county courthouse, and my entire class was put into a jail cell, to show how small it was.  I vowed to stay on the RIGHT side of the law!

We also took a trip to Indianapolis, and  I fell asleep on the bus.  I was also humiliated by my teacher, who pointed out that fact.  I'd also not done my homework one day, and had to sit in the hall, studying by myself. I actually DID get a lot of work accomplished, which reinforces my belief I was an undiagnosed ADD kid.  When motivated, I work much better on my own.

Also by this time, I had definitely sunk to the bottom of the social pecking order.  All the girls had put their desks in a circle, and mine was left out. I ended up with my desk against two of the bottom-of-the-pecking-order boys, who were glad to have my company.  Still, I felt miffed my supposed best friend hadn't stuck up for me and made the girls include me, or join me in my outcasthood.  Since A and I were still not disclosing our 'relationship', he and I would meet at a pre-arranged time at the railroad tracks whenever the weather would cooperate, and talk.  Neither of us were allowed to cross the tracks without parental permission, and I look back now and laugh that not once did either of us break that rule!  How many kids today would have obeyed that?

Next Month:  4th Grade Awards

***********
Present Day:
I'm almost caught up on all the DVR'd shows I recorded last month while away!  I also have to sing at 8am service on Sunday, so will probably only sing 2-3 songs at karaoke:

I'll Fall In Love Again-Sammy Hagar (Not sure if they have this or not)  DNH
Killing Me Softly-Roberta Flack  Sang it well, but accidentally deleted the video!  (head slap)
Kind and Generous-Natalie Merchant  DNH
King of Wishful Thinking-Go West  Not too bad....probably will never sing again, ha ha!

Have a great weekend!

No comments: