Monday, April 11, 2016

The Misadventures of Being On A Budget Pt 2

Last week, I told you about being overcharged at a Madison, In motel.   My bank refunded half the overdraft fees, and the GM was supposed to call me on Friday.

I received no phone call.

Today, I called, and Brenda informed me she would call the GM and get back to me.  Which she did, but that the GM was not going to refund any money.

So, I had a chat with a friend of mine, who, coincidentally, had been through the same thing several years ago.  She advised me to 1) call the corporate office and complain, and 2)  file a complaint with the Attorney General.

1)  There is no corporate office.  The motel is independently owned.

2)  I filed my complaint, and sent copies of the receipt, showing my triple charges, and my bank account fees.

3)  My son decided to call the motel, and spoke to the person who'd made the mistake.  It ended with my son implying we would contact a lawyer, even though the woman apologized profusely, but said her hands were tied, and no refund would be forthcoming.

I DID manage to transfer $60 off my prepaid card, and my spouse deposited $100.  I am now on the plus side again, but it's the principle of the thing.  I did not make this mistake; nor did the bank.

The motel is solely responsible for the $92 in overdraft fees.  That is all I'm asking, though at this point, should it end up in litigation, I'm thinking of asking for $1000, plus court fees.

What do you think?

No comments: