Friday, January 12, 2018

Flashback Friday: 1st Speeding Ticket....Pt 1

Jan 1988:
Did I mention the speedometer on my LRBS (little red bomb shell) was broken the day I took possession of it?  Therefore, I had no idea how fast I'd been driving down to see CS; I was simply following traffic.  Until my father got around to having it fixed.

Turned out I'd been making the 3 hour trip in a little over 2.5 hours, because I'd been driving nearly 85-90 mph!  So it's a miracle I didn't get my 1st speeding ticket until now, 5 months later.

I'd gotten word the pictures of our Christmas Dance were in, and CS had picked them up.  Curious to see them, and the fact that a friend of his, who was also rapidly becoming a good friend of mine, was in the hospital, and you have a recipe for disaster.

I was six miles away from my destination, and heading up a hill.  My little 4-cylander T-1000 had issues going uphill, so I naturally sped up a bit, so I could make it w/o holding up traffic, or being passed by everyone else.  I was nearly to the top when I happened to glance behind me.....and saw the red and blue lights.  Alarmed, I pulled over.  Prayed for a warning, since it was my 1st offense, and also nearly blurted out, "I'm on my way to see your boss", since DH was on the staff as a night jailer at the time.  But I held my tongue......and meekly accepted my ticket.  I'd been going 73, but he knocked it down to 68.

I often wonder if I'd a) told the officer who I was headed to see or b) told DH about the ticket, would I have gotten off with a warning or if DH would have been able to 'fix' it?

At any rate, I was rather appalled when I saw the pic of CS and myself; I look horrible, while he looked great!  Also, I spent a rather enjoyable day sitting on the foot of DH's hospital bed, eating his dessert.  I found out later my sweatpants had a hole in the crotch, so he was enjoying the view (yes, I wore underpants!).  I was mortified when that fact was revealed.....

I was also questioning my sanity about continuing this relationship.  On the one hand, we enjoyed each other's company; on the other hand, the whole point of dating is to find one's life partner.  I already knew I had no intention of ever marrying him, so why was I still driving down?

When I arrived back at BSU, I promptly called the number on the back of the ticket and asked who to make the check out to.  And mailed my payment the next day.

Next Month:  Fallout From Speeding Ticket and A Memorable Valentine's Day.

************
Present Day:
The snow and ice is back with a vengeance.  Kids don't have school; I didn't go to karaoke because the weather was supposed to arrive between midnight and one am.  I did NOT want to drive in icy conditions, so I curled up with SE 2 Episode 4 of The Crown, and went to bed.

Today I'm doing laundry, and IF I venture out, I'm making D drive.  In fact, as I type this at 12:30 pm, there are some FAT snowflakes falling outside!  Our trash pick up has even suspended services for the day,  Thankfully, ours was picked up yesterday, and our recycling is next week, so we're unaffected by it.

Since I may have to spend a few weeks with my parents (to be decided next week), I've decided to sanitize my house from top to bottom, beginning with the kitchen and working my way forward.  So far, I've only done half my counter top.  Hopefully I'll do the other half, stove, dryer, and washer today.  Maybe tomorrow I'll get the floor swept and mopped, and my pantry reorganized.  Check back next week.

Stay warm!

No comments: