Monday, June 12, 2023

Life In Lumber: Y5, W16

 Day 68:  $7931

Arrived; things began slow. Did the prelim duties and brought in carts. Around 7, a CFH arrived, wanting an estimate on roofing. I informed her the pros were gone, and she asked if I would be able to look up the prices.  So I said yes....and the nightmare began. She and her hubby were looking on Amazon and HD, and not all the brand names added up.  Plus, after I found the shingles, I had 3 customers in line, so excused myself and took care of the line.  Then found the starter strips....5 more customers in line.  Underlainment.....3 more customers.  Found the nails and starter caps....then something called 'electric boot' had me stumped.  Called Loader N over to help while I took care of a PL customer.....went back to him....and my screen went black.  Signed back in....lost everything.  CFH exclaims, "I'm on house arrest, been here for an HOUR, and I have to be back home in half an hour. I live in Washington."  

I was ready to walk outside and scream, but stayed calm and offered her a candy bar or drink after we told them to call in the next day and let the pros handle it. After they left, the place died down again!

Also had issues with Reg #1. Had to reboot it twice, due to freezing.  Matt rebooted the pin pad, and then everything worked fine. It just wasn't my night.

Hailey sent me break at 8:10, and when I returned, pulled trash and began the closing duties. Swept, mucked the mats, sanitized the registers, and put away the soda.  Loader N brought in the concrete and took the hopper around.  I locked the doors; he brought in the cull carts. When HC J cleaned me out, walked her up front and put away the extra soda.  Clocked out at 10:30.

Outfit:  Def Leopard tee, new dark capris, treble clefs


Day 69:  $8011

Arrived and discovered ASM K was back....and closing. Took over for B, then did the prelim duties. Was steady until 7:30, when I started sweeping.  Greeted K, and asked about her hubby; she was pleasant. Then when a customer needed a forklift, she was brusque in telling me there was NO ONE to operate it, and went to tell the customer. I went to break at 8:15, and when I returned, finished sweeping and mucking the mats, then pulled all the trash, sanitized the registers and counters, and brought in the cull cart.  Was done by 9:45, so decided to dust...and missed the closing call. ASM K said she'd lock the doors while I rang up Lee.  Then put the trash in the hopper as Loader N was bringing in the concrete. Shut the large door and waited.....and forgot to look at my stats.  HC J finally showed up to clean me out; I took the cardboard to the container, then returned a set of light bulbs to Aisle 10 and put up my vest.

ASM S earlier brought me the April vest that everyone signed, and my $25 GC to Texas Rdhouse:)

Took Lee home.

Off tomorrow due to choir practice.

Outfit:  Rob Strong tee, new dark capris, sapphire hoops


Day 70:  $12,922

Was asked to come in and work up front, which I did for about an hout. Then something happened to Colt, and ASM K sent me down to swap places. I managed to get the prelim duties finished, and a few carts brought in before ASM K told me "10 feet, please..." Ran our of $1s, so hopped to #2.  Was fairly steady the rest of the night. Pulled the soda forward, and around 9, had to ask Adam to watch the register while I took a quick pit stop. Got the trash pulled around 8:30, but didn't have time to sweep; just sanitized the registers at 9:45. Locked the doors, took the trash down after HC C cleaned me out, and returned items to Plumbing, Paint, and Hardware.  Clocked out at 10:30.

ASM K actually THANKED me for taking over Lumber tonight.   I nearly asked her if she was feeling all right, ha ha!

Discovered Mack closed Lumber last night, instead of Colt.  Now I need to train her....

Outfit:  Blue LU, new dark capris, small gold hoops


Day 71:  Rare Sunday  Father's Day $17,592

Was asked to come in; there were a couple of call ins and two NCNS...I hopped in the shower and arrived around 1:30.  Ate 2 hot dogs and clocked in, and went up front. Was slow for about 15 mins, then the sh*t show began.  Olivia had to hop on a register to help with the lines, and had 2 suspended transactions from Self-checkout!  Went to lunch at 4, then discovered I'd left my wallet at home.  I was also dealing with a sinus headache, and had taken a Benadryl before work. Ate 4 more hot dogs and some chips, then clocked back in and went to Lumber.

Things calmed down a bit, and was able to do the prelim duties.  Needed a pit stop at 6, before Loader E left, so KNOWING it was just HC K up front, Austin in LG, and myself, I asked E to watch the register.  Returned to find ASM K there, and she asked me not to ask the Lumber guys to watch the register, but to call my HC in the future.  I just stared as she left, and asked Loader Dale, "But there's NO ONE LEFT to cover me!!!"  I just rolled my eyes; E left, and D agreed with me.  Shift was fairly smooth after that. Locked the doors at 7:55; ASM K brought in the concrete; I shut the large door.  HC K arrived sometime around 8:30; I took a board back and pushed a cart full of Millwork stuff back, then returned items to Hardware, Seasonal, and Flooring.  Put up my vest and took another pit stop, then returned HC K's phone and got her phone card, and we took three carts down to RTM.  Clocked out around 8:55.

There's also a new dress code:  We're not supposed to wear graphic tees unless they say LU or NFL-affiliated.  That reduces my summer wardrobe to about 8 shirts.  ASM S is going to check to see if my Blessed G'ma, Indiana-themed, and the American one I BOUGHT AT LU is okay, as well as the patriotic tees for the 4th of July coming up.

Outfit:  Black Alaskan Hwy tee, new dark capris, small gold textured hoops

No comments: