Saturday, October 13, 2007

This Is Just Wrong...

I heard a news item on the radio a couple of days ago which really got me steamed. A school district in Wisconsin (or it could have been Illinois...correct me if I'm wrong here!) has decided to ban Christmas/Holiday parties from their fall calendar.

Why? A muslim father decided it was offensive to his children's religion.

What is happening in our country? My jaw drops everytime someone tries to ban a posting of the Ten Commandments. I can't believe my ears when athiests take school districts to court over the recitation of the Pledge of Allegiance or school prayer! I'm not being 'Politically Correct' when I say "Happy Holidays" in my Christmas cards...I simply decided to say "Merry Christmas" differently! Or even "Season's Greetings"! But now, after hearing that "H.H." is the 'PC' term, I'm going back to "M.C."...

Our country was founded on biblical principles. Freedom of Religion was so important, we embraced and encouraged people to become citizens so there would be no domination. But suddenly, the opposition as taken hold. Why is it, if we have the freedom to worship whatever deity we believe in, be it God, Satan, Budda, Mohammad, or any other spiritual being, that those who oppose religion have the right to take our beliefs to court in order to ban our rights to pray in public?

If you are offended by the "Moment of Silence" that is observed, shut up and think about what you've got planned after the event! Don't put your hand over your heart during the Pledge and keep your mouth shut. Don't attend Christmas parties held in classrooms (of course, your child may feel left out, but if you're going to make an issue of it...). Whatever happened to mutual respect? If I meet someone who doesn't share my beliefs, I respect their right to believe whatever they want. I don't push my faith on others; I may talk about it now and then, but if I get a gentle, "don't talk to me about that, please. I'm not interested", I back off! Who gave the athiests and newcomers to our land the right to take away our rituals and let them do as they please?

And I keep getting emails concerning the National Anthem sung in Spanish. I've got to agree with this one. Watch the Olympics...the only National Anthems I know the words to are Great Britain (God Save the Queen) and Canada (Oh Canada), besides my own. I actually like it when a different country wins the gold medal, because otherwise, we don't hear it! And I felt so sorry when the Russians won back in '92?? and didn't have an anthem yet, so they played the Olympic theme.

I've never traveled overseas, but I'm reasonably sure that Americans don't push our traditions/beliefs on other countries. Kelly, you've traveled; let me know if I'm way off base here. I'm pretty sure if American children are attending schools abroad, they are to conform to that country's traditions in school, or have to attend a special school set up by the Embassy. We don't get to take our case to their court system; it's not allowed. So why is it here? Simple. These people have become Americans, and unfortunately, we can sue whomever we want for whatever insane idea, as long as we get a lawyer to see our point of view!

Please stop saying we are in violation of your civil liberties...again, if you don't like the way we practice our religion, stay out of it. I do not want to be told I cannot post the beliefs I hold dear in my front yard or in the Capital Building. I miss saying the Pledge, and think our children are being subject to a disservice by it not being said. It promotes patriotism and love for one's country.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America
And to the republic, for which it stands,
One nation, UNDER GOD, indivisible,
With liberty and justice FOR ALL.
(Not just a select few...)

6 comments:

Phoenix said...

International students conform to the the country they are in. We take intensive language and social studies classes and yes, learn their anthems. If the school is an American school, they may learn the anthem or pledge but the one I went to did not. Usually they recognize American holidays, like President's Day. Most schools are "International" as they recognize that more than just Americans attend.

And in most cases, because American project a pushy nature both socially and politically, other countries DON'T LIKE US. I know. Shocking, but that what you get when you go to another country and demand they speak to you in English in their own country and in yours. Face it. America is awesome but we are rather selfish as a culture.

Molly Daniels said...

That's why, if I ever go to France, Greece, or Italy, I intend on taking my sis with me...she speaks the language! I'm not adventurous enough to go on my own:)

And I'll go to Australia and have AJ show me around...

Unknown said...

Aussies like Americans because y'all make us smile(I said that was an American accent)Americans are fresh faced,innocent and eager. You're the perfect foil for us Aussies. So no, not all countries dislike yanks.

Okay, I am not the slightest bit religious so I will not get into that other than to say everyone thinks their way is right and important. And everyone is right.

Molly - I love a good rant. Way to go girl. I'd man the barricades with you anyday

Molly Daniels said...

I wrote mine before I saw yours...was going to post this on Wed, but had to respond to Kelly's. Now I'm glad I did to today! Glad we're both on the warpath, ha ha:)

And yes, I'm a southerner at heart. I say y'all all the time:) Got an email several weeks back, testing the dialtect, and I tested 80% southern...while a friend in Florida tested Yankee! Guess we need to swap houses...

jackie said...

this is what I heard in school one day. This is how MY teacher taught us the pledge. She played this recording, (reel to reel) of Red Skeltons Pledge of Allegiance. I remember feeling SO PROUD when I listened to this as a child. Shame Kids are missing that feeling now.

Commentary on the Pledge of Allegiance
by Red Skelton


As a schoolboy, one of Red Skelton's teachers explained the words and meaning of the Pledge of Allegiance to his class. Skelton later wrote down, and eventually recorded, his recollection of this lecture. It is followed by an observation of his own.





I - - Me; an individual; a committee of one.
Pledge - - Dedicate all of my worldly goods to give without self-pity.

Allegiance - - My love and my devotion.

To the Flag - - Our standard; Old Glory ; a symbol of Freedom; wherever she waves there is respect, because your loyalty has given her a dignity that shouts, Freedom is everybody's job.

United - - That means that we have all come together.

States - - Individual communities that have united into forty-eight great states. Forty-eight individual communities with pride and dignity and purpose. All divided with imaginary boundaries, yet united to a common purpose, and that is love for country.

And to the Republic - - Republic--a state in which sovereign power is invested in representatives chosen by the people to govern. And government is the people; and it's from the people to the leaders, not from the leaders to the people.

For which it stands

One Nation - - One Nation--meaning, so blessed by God.

Indivisible - - Incapable of being divided.

With Liberty - - Which is Freedom; the right of power to live one's own life, without threats, fear, or some sort of retaliation.

And Justice - - The principle, or qualities, of dealing fairly with others.

For All - - For All--which means, boys and girls, it's as much your country as it is mine.


And now, boys and girls, let me hear you recite the Pledge of Allegiance:
I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic, for which it stands; one nation, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all.
Since I was a small boy, two states have been added to our country, and two words have been added to the Pledge of Allegiance: Under God. Wouldn't it be a pity if someone said that is a prayer, and that would be eliminated from schools, too?
Red Skelton






Contributed by : David R. Lewis, Nashville, Tennessee. Visit Dave's Home Page.



This page is maintained by Duane Streufert, Contact Us.
Questions or comments welcome!
This Site Established on 20 November 1994.
Last Updated 10 February 2005.
Web Design and Development by Visionary Enterprises




COPIED FROM another website.

jackie said...

sorry I copied it fromTHIS website

http://www.usflag.org/skeltonspledge.html