Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Terrific Tuesday with Tricia Schneider:)


Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.

Hello! Thanks for having me! I’m a bookseller turned paranormal romance author and the mother of 3. My newest release is the sequel to my debut novella and is called The Witch and the Vampire.

Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?

Yes, actually. I wrote a novel that won 3rd place in the Gothic Romance Writer’s Haunted Hearts contest. It’s a gothic ghost romance, and there are parts that gave me chills while I wrote it.

Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?

Again, yes. I hadn’t noticed it until my husband pointed out that in all my stories, the heroine has lost her mother. My own mother passed away when I was 11, an event that seriously impacted my life. I didn’t realize until much later that I used writing as a therapeutic way of dealing with her death.

How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?

It depends on the story. I’ve done both. I’ve done research and then been inspired to write a story. I do a lot of research during my writing, as well. Since I write historical pieces, I sometimes come across an item or event that I need to know if my character has used or been to. Then, I’ll do the research needed for that particular subject. I do my best to be as historically accurate as possible.

Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?

Happily Ever After has always been my favorite message.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?

A little of both. When I get an idea for a story, I write a short synopsis. I’ll use this as a sort of outline for when I’m writing. And, if I’m lucky enough to get into my ‘writing zone’ my fingers start flying on the keyboard as if they’re possessed. It feels like I’m not telling the story, something in control of my frantically typing fingers is telling the story. It’s a very satisfying sensation.

How long did it take for you to be published?

I’ve been writing all my life, but I really became interested in publication when I was about 18. Then I studied it mostly, attended conferences, met other authors, practiced writing and I did send a few submissions out. When I gave birth to my son in 2006, I decided to step down from my Assistant Manager position at the bookstore where I worked. Having my son, really gave me the motivation I needed to seriously pursue my passion for storytelling and becoming published. On the day of his third birthday party, I received my first contract.

If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?

I think I might slap myself across the head (gently, so as not to mess up my hair), and say “Stop doubting yourself, and have confidence, you fool!! And, stop trying to be perfect and just write the sucker!” Seriously, there were a few years when I stopped sending submissions and decided to just write for fun. For a while, I didn’t think my writing was ever going to get published!

Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?

A keyboard, lol. I started with a pen, then used my mom’s typewriter, then my father’s computer, and now I have a laptop. My mind moves fast and I never learned short-hand so the pen moves rather slowly in my hand. But, I learned typing at a young age and my fingers can fly across the keys. Oh, and I need mood music. Usually, I listen to Type O’Negative while I’m writing. I need music to block out distracting noises.

Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?

I have numerous favorite authors. In the beginning, Claire Delacroix, Deborah Simmons, Gayle Wilson, and Elizabeth Thornton were the reason I loved historical romance. I started writing romance after reading these authors. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte and Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier greatly influenced my interest in gothic romance. Lynn Kurland, Kelley Armstrong and Kim Harrison are others I feel have influenced my writing as well.

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

Not many people know I make dream-catchers and Native American styled jewelry. So does my SIL! How cool:)

For Fun:

Mountains or Beach?

I’ve always lived in the beautiful mountains of Eastern Pennsylvania, so I’d have to say beach. I visited the gulf coast of Florida a number of years ago and fell in love with the ocean sunsets, sand squishing between my toes and the hypnotic ocean breezes.

Favorite amusement park ride?

The train rides! Hehe! I’m such a spoil sport at amusement parks. I usually suffer over-exposure from the sun and I get terrible headaches. To my husband’s dismay, I go to amusement parks for the cotton candy, funnel cake and soft-serve ice cream cones with sprinkles and not the roller-coasters that he loves. Oh, actually, I do enjoy the water rides! Yes, those are my favorites. Anything to cool down! Yay! Another non-roller coaster fan! I do water rides, but not the log flume-ones: Can't handle that drop!

Father’s Day ritual?

I supply my kids with art materials to design their own hand-made Father’s Day cards. Before my boys knew how to write, they’d trace their hands for their signatures. Then in the morning before my husband wakes, we drive to Dunkin Donuts and bring home a large coffee and donuts for Daddy’s breakfast. My husband is addicted to DD’s coffee, so having the kid’s wake him up in the morning with his favorite coffee is a special treat.

How do you balance kids being at home 24/7 and writing time?

I have 3 kids between the ages of 5 years and 9 months. During the day, I can hop on the computer at short intervals to do promoting or networking. Then, if I’m lucky and I manage to get at least 2 to take a nap, I can get a bit of writing done in the afternoon. The majority of my writing has always been done at night, even before I had children. The only trouble with that is when I get into my ‘writing zone’ I don’t want to stop writing to go to sleep. I’ve already stayed up until 3am writing, which was fine before I had kids. Now, my oldest is my early bird and he’ll wake me up between 6 and 7am. The next day I’m more like zombie mom!

Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.

Thank you again for having me! This was fun! You can visit my website http://www.triciaschneider.com or blog http://www.shadowsofromance.blogspot.com for more information about my books, or find me at

Facebook http://www.facebook.com/authortriciaschneider

Twitter http://www.twitter.com/triciaschneider

GoodReads http://www.goodreads.com/triciaschneider

Blurb:

Melora Merriweather is searching for a fellow witch to protect her from a scheming uncle with plans of marriage. When her carriage overturns on her journey, she is rescued by a mysterious man whom she learns is the very person she seeks. But, he’s not the witch she thought he was…

Sebastian Collins should have left for London days ago. Now a snowstorm has trapped him with a woman who has come seeking protection, a woman who intrigues him like no other. And with each passing hour, his hunger for her grows…hunger for her kiss, her caress, and her blood.

Excerpt:

“You are Sebastian Collins? Of Caldwell House?” she asked. Had she made some horrible mistake? Who knew how old this letter might be? There had been no date written on any of them. Could this have come from a previous owner of the single address she had managed to discover leading her here? But, no, it could not be possible. Her dreams never misled her.

“Indeed, I am,” he answered, relieving her fears. He paused briefly, and then continued, “But there is no Mrs. Collins.”

Comprehension dawned. The blush of embarrassment and dread crept up her neck. To her surprise, Mr. Collins stiffened in agitation.

“I-I am truly sorry,” she stated, suddenly understanding his reaction. At least, now it made sense why Mrs. Collins never entered her dreams. “I had not realized she had passed. I apologize for the grief I have surely inflicted on you.”

“No, no,” he said, with a shake of his head. He appeared to have difficulty speaking for a moment until at last, with a deep breath, he reclaimed his composure. Still, he kept his eyes cast down, toward the fire. “You fail to understand. I have never married.”

Melora stared at him. Confused, she looked again at the letter in her hand. “But the letters…?”

This time, his head snapped up, and he looked in her direction. She inhaled sharply at the sight of his light blue eyes staring at her. Into her. Through her. Sharp. Piercing. As if he searched her soul for the answers to his questions.

To buy: The Wild Rose Press

http://www.thewildrosepress.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=177_136&products_id=4422

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Your book sounds great! I'm with you on the amusement parks. I'm there for the food and water rides. No roller coasters for me. :)

Tricia Schneider said...

Thanks again for the interview, Molly! This really was a lot of fun! :)

Tricia Schneider said...

Amber: Oh, I'm glad I'm not the only one! lol

Molly Daniels said...

That makes two of us! (shudders at the thought of dropping that far that fast!)

Liz Flaherty said...

Nice interview and a beautiful cover. Good luck. And add me into the no-roller-coaster club!

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks for being with me Tricia:) And Liz, the only one I can stomach is the kiddie coaster at the fair, or Tumblebug at King's Island (if it's still there). And went on the Scat Cat one (KI again) back in 1999...that one was okay.

Anonymous said...

Great interview, gals. This was a fun read!

And really, Tricia, it would take more than a gentle slap to mess up your hair. You manage to look perfect every time I see you.(grrr)
I need your kind of poise.

:)