Tuesday, April 16, 2019

Signs Our Kids Are Being Coddled In School

2003: "This is the principal at XYZ HS, and I have your child in my office. Here's what happened and how we will deal with it."

2011: "This is your child's guidance counselor...there was an incident involving your child and here's how we're going to deal with it."

2019: "This is the assistant principal....I have your child in my office and I just want to tell you how proud of him/her I am. Grades are good, even in X class, which is so tough for many kids, with what they're studying today. I've never had a problem with your child, and I think you're doing a marvelous parenting job..."

(I'm thinking, 'Cut to the chase lady; WHY is my child in your office, what did he/she do, and what are the consequences?')


"...I have your child on speaker so he/she can hear everything...the Z class grade could be a little better-"

(Interrupting, since said child can HEAR me)  
"So can the W grade")

(AP laughs) "Well, yes, yes of course. Now the reason your child is in my office.....(cites reason) So this is how we're going to handle it, because out in the REAL world, if this had happened, it would have escalated into something worse, and we don't want THAT to happen, do we? So I just wanted to let you know your child is getting a consequence of his/her behavior. Do you have any questions?"


"Is the other child involved receiving the same punishment?"


"I cannot discuss the other party involved, but just want to let you know I have dealt with the issue fairly, and your child agrees that everyone involved is being treated in a fair manner. I try to treat every child as if they were my own."


(Me, thinking, 'if my child was simply defending his/her friend, he/she would have received a simple reprimand, and the other child punished! But since my child acted more aggressively first, by all means, treat him/her like a bully, instead of the kid who instigated it!)


**End phone conversation***


1st child: 5 minute phone conversation.


2nd child: 10 minute phone conversation, as we worked out the details.


3rd child: 20 minute phone conversation, since Child could hear me and there were some wise-cracks exchanged between us, concerning the 'growth' over the past year, in more ways than one, plus a reminder to do ALL homework while in the Alternative To Suspension room (Formally known as the In School Suspension???), NOT to mention the 5-10 minute snow-job on how 'proud she was' of my child up until now, but that she will continue to 'enjoy' my child's presence in her school for the next 6 weeks!


I get it; my kid screwed up. But he was DEFENDING his friend who had been shoved! And you can't tell me if the kid who initiated the whole thing is getting the same treatment? If my child comes home and says he's the only one punished, believe me, Mama Bear's marching down to her office!


***Update****
Other child was indeed given the same punishment, and my child was also hi-fived at lunch and after school for taking the bully down a notch!

He'll be taken to the bakery before school in the morning, and possibly a trip to DQ after school.

No comments: