Friday, October 15, 2010

Flashback Friday: Rite of Passage

1980:
Recap: Freshman me, skinny and with a full set of braces on my teeth, somehow managed to catch the eye of a Senior boy in my church Youth Group, while wearing a one-piece, Speedo bathing suit. D played trumpet in the Marching Band, and his sister was in my Bible study.

October brought two changes. My braces were removed after two and a half years of no gum, caramel, or nuts (as soon as they were removed, I demanded a Snickers bar!), and my fairly straight teeth were worth the 'torture' of the monthly orthodontal visits. I had also unknowingly worn my 'Braces are Beautiful' T-shirt that day, so when I arrived back at school (just in time for my English class), I was gently teased about no longer being eligible to wear that shirt anymore, and to 'Take it off!'


My weekends were full of Friday night football games; Saturday Band Contests; and spending two hours on Sunday morning with D; first at Sunday School class, and then sitting beside him during the service. I was blessed with a set of parents who understood my desire to sit with my friends, so Christy, D, and our other friends sat wherever a pew would hold all of us. Then later that day, Dad would drop me back at the church for Choir practice, dinner, and Youth Meeting. And the third week of October, a 'miracle' occurred: I was finally allowed to 'group date'.

D and a bunch of his friends, plus anyone else who wanted to go, would always head to Dairy Queen after CYO. Since I lived six miles out of town, I was one of a few whose parents dropped off and collected us. The first time I was invited, I was highly insulted that I had to wait for my dad to arrive in order to secure permission, and then have him pick me up after an hour. The third week, my mother dropped me off and asked if there was anyway I would be able to get a ride to meet her. I happily asked D if he would be willing; he agreed, so it was a wonderful feeling to climb into his green Dodge Dart (along with about seven others, LOL!) and go to Dairy Queen for ice cream after the meeting. After an hour, we piled into his car again. Since I was the last one to be dropped off, I got the honor of sitting beside him in the front seat.

I was also allowed to go with the group sometimes on Wednesdays, after Bible Study. This didn't happen very often, but it made this Freshman very happy!

I don't remember how high the Marching Band placed that year; all I cared about was getting to see D four days a week.

Next Month: Jealousy.

6 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Ah... Fond memories.

Seems like the only boys that were ever interested in me were the really creepy, scary dudes that I didn't even like being in the same room with, which didn't make much sense to me, being I was the goody-two-shoes type. I dunno. Maybe I was the only person nice to them.

Molly Daniels said...

I had that issue too; that's why this friendship took me by surprise!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.