Saturday, October 16, 2010

Saturday's Stupid Saying and Memory Lane:)

You've mistaken that banana for a telephone!

a handy English phrase in a Japanese textbook


This is Beneficence, aka 'Benny' at the north end of the Ball State campus. Legend has it when a virgin walks by, Benny flaps his wings.

















This used to be one of my favorite pizza places, The Flying Tomato. Purdue had a similar store, Garcia's Pizza Palace. Pizza by the slice, and YUMMY breadsticks! We also loved the multi-layered interior, with an arcade at the top.








The Ball Tower, added sometime in the past decade.




















Lafollett Complex, Woody/Shales Hall
(Shales (men) floors 1-4; Woody (women), floors 5-8)

Fourth window from the right (shades closed) was room 808, where bff E and I lived from 1987-1989. The room to the right, #806, is where I lived Spring Quarter 1987, before E joined me.





Another shot of Lafollet Complex. This isn't Woody/Shales; it's the opposite side. Daughter wouldn't let me go around to the front again.













North Quad, where the majority of my Social Work classes were held.














Student Union. The Indiana Academy presentation was held here. 'Benny' is right across the street.










And finally, here are some pictures of my 'bookshelf', which I display at my craft fair booth. Recognize any familiar titles?

Front side:

Back side:


Usually, there are two small boards on the bottom; however, one has been misplaced. I'm hoping to locate it before Nov 12th!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for sharing your memories with us. :)

Carol Preflatish said...

My favorite pizza place when I went to IU was Mama Bear's. It was so cool when I took my IU freshman daughter and my husband there a few years ago on the day we left her at her dorm.

I like the picture of your bookshelf at the store. I believe I see some of my cards and my cookbook on the bottom shelf. Thanks!!

Molly Daniels said...

Yes; yours, Sandra's, and Jamie's get the most 'touch time'. I try to switch everybody around, but it never fails. You three ladies obviously have something people want:)

Marianne Stephens said...

Ah...memories! We had a statue of a bear on a pole in the middle of main street near my college. He "talked" to me one night after a few too many drinks!
Your bookshelf looks great...thanks!

Anonymous said...

I was in Shales in the first half of the 80s.
My favorite pizza was from Greek's Pizzeria. We'd have it delivered to us. The funny thing is (and I only found this out a few years ago) John Schnatter used to either deliver or cook the pizzas for them when him and I were students there. I didn't know him personally, he's known as Papa John now.
Love your blog, I'm a fledgling writer myself.