Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Terrific Tuesday with Jackie M Smith:)

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.

Bio: Jackie M. Smith was born in the Maritimes of French-speaking father and English-speaking mother. She has three younger sisters. Jackie has always loved reading her mother's romance books. After moving to Montreal, she worked as a customer service representative. But her love of writing romances never stopped.

When she's not writing her next romance, Jackie enjoys her free time with her wonderful fiancé, creates book trailers for her fellow authors or reads a good romance book.


Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?

This situation hasn’t happened to me. Sometimes, I do face a blank page. But that doesn’t happen often.

Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?

When I write my books, I don’t use actual events from my own life. But I do use some of my experiences.

How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?

For my historical romances, I research my facts first and then write. When I find an interesting fact, sometimes, it changes my plot or adds a twist. If I get an idea and must change a scene, I get the needed information.

Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?

The message I’d like my readers to take would be that they read a satisfying love story.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?

I’m a plotter. I love plotting a story and see where it takes me.

How long did it take for you to be published?

My first book was published in 2009 after almost two years of writing. At first, I wasn’t sure to have my book published. The whole experience frightened me. But now, I couldn’t be happier to be an author.

If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?

Follow your dream.

Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?

When writing, I first write my draft with pencil and a notebook. Then I type everything down on my laptop. From there, I make the necessary changes.

Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?

My favorite author is Danielle Steele. I grew up reading her books. I love her writing style. Her story as a writer has inspired me very much. LOL:) I discovered my writing style was similar to hers also!

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

My readers would probably surprised to know that I’m a big ice hockey fan.

For Fun:

Favorite Halloween memory?

My favorite Halloween memory would be when I was a kid, and my mom dressed us up with homemade costumes and makeup. We went Trick-or-Treating with my younger sisters. I had so much fun and it didn’t cost a penny.

Favorite Scary Movie?

The Wolfman with Benicio Del toro

Frankenstein, Dracula, or Werewolf?

Good question. I used to love Dracula but since I’ve seen Benicio Del Toro as a wolfman, he changed my mind about werewolves.

Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.

http://xoxopublishing.com/shop-online/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=17&products_id=53

http://jackiemsmith.weebly.com/

Blurb:

Winnie Douglas always loved taking pictures of her family and her hometown. One day, while reading a war magazine, pictures of the soldiers whose strength and courage touched her. With her family’s blessing, she journeys to Paris where a French magazine hires her to take pictures of the war.

Henry Whitfield answers the call of duty and travels halfway across the world to fight in the war. Far away from his family and Canadian hometown, he feels the loneliness. On the battlefield, he meets an angel. Afraid she is just a dream, he befriends Winnie.

War brought them together. Will it tear them apart?





Excerpt:

Taking his arm, she felt his strength but he covered her hand with gentleness. New sensations rushed throughout her body. She gazed into his eyes and saw the kindness and honesty. Yet, she guarded her heart. She couldn’t give it to someone she hardly knew. But, the more time she spent with him, the more she felt as though they’d known each other all her life.

They had so much in common; from books to food and dreams of having a family one day. He even made her laugh the whole time they walked. Indeed, she felt comfortable with him. The feeling unsettled her a bit as they walked close. Again, she found herself comparing him with James. Yet, with Henry she found herself smiling and giggling all the time.

As they shared an umbrella; shielding them against the cool raindrops, he talked of the battles he fought and the friends he lost on the front since the war started. She saw the sadness in his eyes. “I’m so sorry,” she said, touching his arm. “I can only imagine how it is on the battlefield.” She didn’t say another word; the horror he lived and saw every day broke her heart.

He gave her a reassuring smile. But she felt his pain and sadness.

The rain stopped. Winnie felt the cold against her cheeks. Yet, inside, warmth filled her. She felt the heat of his body radiate and warm her. She enjoyed having Henry with her now. She crooked her arm around his and held on a little more.

For the first time in her life, she didn’t ask any questions nor worried about tomorrow.

They reached the park near the Eiffel Tower and sat on a bench while he told her about the men in his company, and spoke of their bravery. “We call ourselves Bell’s Bulldogs,” he chuckled. “These men are the finest soldiers in the whole battalion. No. The whole infantry.” He spoke about his fellow soldiers with such pride and brotherly love. His friends. She saw in his sparkling eyes how much he cared for his fellow soldiers. He also talked of his hometown of Calgary. “Alberta is a beautiful province. Mountains and lakes, and nice people.”

She pictured the Rockies with the snow covered peaks. “Sounds like heaven.”

“Close enough,” he said. Henry took her hand in his. He didn’t say another word, but she understood what precious peace and quiet brought to him. She gave his strong lean fingers a light squeeze, hoping he knew how much she cared for him.

As they reached the front door of her apartment just after midnight, he took her hand and brought her fingers against his lips once more. His eyes met hers and he held her hands between his. Bringing her closer, he warmed her against the chill. A breath caught in her throat and her heart raced in her chest. She stared at his full lips and wondered what if his tempting mouth kissed her. She closed her eyes for a brief moment, calming her racing heart.

He bent his head and leaned it against hers. “Thank you for spending time with me tonight.” His low voice stirred a new wave of warmth through her.

She bit her lower lip and held her breath while her heartbeat drummed in her ears. With the tip of his thumb, he caressed her lips. Their eyes locked while his warm hand gently cupped her cheek. In a brisk yet gentle gesture, his lips took hers. She trembled under his touch; her hands on his chest, unmoving. His mouth tasted hers as his arms lowered around her; holding her tight against him. She kissed him with such fervour; her head spun with desire. Her arms surrounded his neck as she tilted her head; deepening his kiss. A low moan left her mouth as his lips traced her chin and jaw.

“Winnie,” his hot breath whispered against her ear. He held her for a long moment.

She leaned her head against his chest, feeling the warmth of his body through his thick jacket as rain drops fell around them. She closed her eyes, and prayed for Henry’s safety and the chance to see him again soon. “Please be careful,” she whispered. “And if you can, please write me.”

“I promise,” he said, holding her even closer. “Take care,” he whispered against her ear before taking her lips hostage once more.

She watched him walk away, breathless and wanting more of his kisses. She believed he’d keep his promise. She removed her glove and touched her swollen and hot lips. And she smiled. Twirling under the rain, she giggled, feeling happy and alive.

4 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Hi, Jackie, how nice to meet you. Great interview. Winnie and Henry's story sounds fascinating. There's just something bitter sweet about war romances.

Unknown said...

Thanks Molly for this great chance to share with your bloggers.

Jackie

Kenzie Michaels said...

I've been known to read historical from time to time; this sounds good Jackie:)

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks for being with me Jackie:) As Kenzie said, I also read historicals, so will be adding this to the TBB list:)