Monday, April 22, 2013

Monday Mania

Currently Reading:  Finished Nina Pierce's Blind Her With Bliss and really enjoyed it!  Recommended Read:)  Began Essence of Time by Liz Crowe, and I'm more than halfway through it.  How am I enjoying it?  I dreamed Rob, Blake, Liz, and I were arguing over something in the Brewhouse.  Liz was yelling at everyone to behave; a VIP was coming to judge Paradise Hops, and she wanted to impress him.  Weird; I don't think PH is even the same series!  So yes, I'm enjoying it!  Also began reading James Bowers' The Dark Path.  James is a good friend of mine, and this is his 1st published novel.  I thoroughly enjoyed the first few chapters, as I'd only read a few pages, but then it began to drag.  I'm about 80% finished with it; I've skimmed some parts and avidly read others.  I don't think he's read any of my work, other than the few short essays we've written for our writer's meeting, and he knows fantasy's probably waaaaaaayyyy down the list of my preferred reading genres.  So no hard feelings James:)

Spent yesterday in Morgan County.  We drove up to retrieve our garden tractor, and spent a few hours talking with old friends.  College Kid went to our old house and secured permission to show off the 6.5 acres to his BFF and little brother, who was 2 when we left.  The new owners have cut down the tree where we had our hummingbird feeder, as well as the trees which anchored my clothesline.  You can still tell where we once had a garden; our apple and peach trees are gone.  My pussy willow and the pear tree, however, are thriving.

Afterward, we drove into Martinsville and ate dinner at Chili's.  I called my friend J and told her to throw her SO in the car and meet us there, which they did, and we had a lovely time talking and laughing.

Arrived home late, and checked my email.  Discovered book #6, Searching For Love, releases tomorrow!  I checked the proof copy for errors, and only spotted two 'questionable' things.  Wrote the dedication, took note of the trademarked items, and sent it back.  Hopefully everything will be answered today and I can get ready for the Release Party tomorrow.

Want a sneak peek?   Here you go:)

Blurb:

Stephanie Ridgeman is sick and tired of watching her best friends go through heartache and question their goals, all in the name of love.  When she meets a young woman who introduces her to another lifestyle, Steph’s curiosity overwhelms her.  She discovers there are different ways of expressing love, although society shuns her new views.  When she learns her parents disapprove, will it affect her choice?

Jodie Armstrong lost a partner to AIDS the previous year, and is intrigued by the young woman whose friends’ antics rival those of a soap opera. She patiently answers Steph’s hesitant questions concerning her lifestyle choices and encourages Stephanie to follow her heart.  Will Steph ever figure out which world she belongs in, and will her friends accept her decisions?

Excerpt:

“Are Daphne and Laura...gay?”

“Oh, my, yes.” Jodie laughed. “That was the big deal? They liked you.”

“But Jodie, I’m straight. I like guys. I’m not...like that.”

“I know.” Jodie stopped walking. “Look, all I wanted to do was invite you over for a movie and dinner, like you said was your type of celebration. No big deal.”

“And Brandon and Curtis?” Despite the chill in the air, Steph felt her cheeks grow hot.

“Stephanie, so am I.” Jodie’s voice sounded quiet. “I’m not trying to recruit you or anything. I have other straight friends. Maybe I should have invited some of them over as well.”

“It’s okay.” Stephanie reached out to put her hand on Jodie’s shoulder, then stopped. “It was just a shock. I’ve never met anyone who’s, ah, who’s...”

“Gay? A lesbian?” Jodie supplied. “It’s okay to say the words, Steph. They aren’t going to offend me or hurt you.”

Stephanie felt her face flame red. “I’m sorry...it’s just...”

“I understand. This is a big thing to spring on you. It’s okay to feel awkward.” Jodie turned away. “I’ll see you Friday, in class, okay?”

“Okay.”


No comments: