Friday, March 8, 2019

Flashback Friday: College Senior-itis Rears Its Ugly Head

March 1989:
I received graduation notices, and had a panic attack.  What the hell had I done?  Here BSU was getting ready to kick me out into the big, bad world, and I felt I'd simply skated through my classes without absorbing any of the skills I was 'supposed' to have, in order to become a working professional and contributing member of society.

I called my mom in full panic-mode, and after crying for several minutes, Mom called me down and told me what I was feeling was completely normal!  She managed to 'talk me down off the ledge', so to speak, and to request my Spring Break off from the country club, that she felt I needed an honest vacation, and was going to send me to Grandma's house in Florida, since I'd not been in over a year.

After talking to her, I admitted I felt better.

EY and I also nearly had a shouting match, since in my depression, I was barely getting dressed for lunch, and opting to shower in the afternoon before my shift.  She was tired of sitting with me at lunch, looking like a sloppy mess, and the other girls we sat with had noticed I wasn't exactly 'with it'.

In retaliation, I dressed up one day, put on make up....and discovered making an effort to look nice in the dining room actually made me feel better, so it back-fired, but at the same time, snapped me out of my depression.

"You Might Want To Go To The Dr...."
DB called me, and 'fessed up to cheating on me.  As a result, he contracted a nasty case of chlamydia, and was on a round of tetracyclene.  I was already taking the same meds for another reason (asthma, maybe?), so I thanked him for telling me, and we'd discuss it further when we'd next see each other.  I then dutifully trotted off to the med center, where the idiot dr they assigned me to (I didn't DARE go see my regular doctor back home!) never examined me, just told me to 'only have sex with a condom'.  Ummmm....duh......I was on The Pill, and was only sleeping with one person, whom I thought was committed to me.  In reality, I was trying to break up with him, only he refused to let me go, so I was simply resigned to living separate lives until he 'came to his senses' and broke up with ME.

You'd have thought that after THAT news he'd do it?  Nope....and I was still driving his 69 Impala in order to get back and forth to work, so at the moment, being in the 'relationship' was beneficial.

Spring Break, Pt 1
At the end of the month, I flew off to Florida, to spend a wonderful six days away from everyone, and to soak up some sun.  I always spent the first day with Grandma, talking to her, watching TV, and catching her up on my love life (I did NOT mention the VD scare, or my idiocy over Valentine's Day!) and my future plans.

The weather chose to be on the cool side that year, so I didn't get to swim a whole lot, but Grandma took me out to eat, let me drive her car, and one memorable night, we went out with her friends and bar-hopped.  One bar was a piano bar, and some gentleman took the mic and dedicated a song to my grandma!   "My Jo.....So Jo.....will you dance with me?"

Somewhere, there is a picture of me with our cute gay waiter!

I tried to park Grandma's car in her car port and while trying to straighten up, accidentally got too close to a pole and scraped her passenger mirror off the car.  Grandma wasn't upset, thankfully!

Grandma also took me shopping, and bought me some 'career' clothes, for when I began the interview/hiring process.

I heard Busch Gardens was hiring, and called them, but was advised to call back once I had graduated, and IF I made it back down to Florida afterward.  In hindsight, I wish I had.  More on this later.

Next Month:  Spring Break, Pt 2 and My Trip to Akron, Oh aka 'WW3'.

***********
Present Day:
More snow has arrived, ugh.  Temps are supposed to be in the 60s tomorrow, but it's also supposed to storm.  Come on Spring!

As if my brain doesn't have enough to deal with, I woke up yesterday with an idea for my 'Bad Decisions' story, and I'm already on page 2.

Daughter finally received her tax refund, and caught up her Jeep payments, plus went grocery shopping for us.  As previously stated this week, she also took us out to lunch at Old Chicago and Long John Silvers.

Have a wonderful weekend!

No comments: