Wednesday, March 13, 2019

Life As A Trainee Pt 6

Day #7:
Clocked in, and found HC Cindy, who told me to jump on Register 10.  Logged in successfully, turned on the light, and began ringing up customer #1.  Realized something was wrong; nothing was ringing up.  Aggie came over and mentioned they were having issues, and to try Register #9.  Logged out, then in again, and same issue....then realized I'd not finished logging in!  Corrected that issue, and joked with the customer that I hoped I'd not set a precedence for how the day was going to go!

Did well for the next few customers, then a gentleman stepped up and rattled off a phone #.  I didn't know what to do with that info, so I ignored it, and rang him up.  He returned a few minutes later and asked about his 10% discount.  I confessed I hadn't, so sent him to the CS desk to correct it.

Again, things were going smoothly, then a guy came by with two pavers.  No bar code, so I looked them up on the app.  HC Adrianna came over and reminded me to look them up in the BLUE BOOK, and also showed me where the tape measure was, in order to measure them, which explained the price discrepancy:  Customer said they were $2.97, but the 12x12 price was showing a dollar less.  Turned out he'd actually picked up the 16x16s!  Rang him up and he was on his way.

A few minutes later, a guy tried to pay with a check.  I tried to fun it, but I had it  loaded wrong.  Tried four times to manually enter it, but it wouldn't take.  Tried re-running CORRECTLY twice, but rejected.  By now, HC A was back, so asked her what I was doing wrong.  She told me to NEVER run a check twice; the store gets charged every time.  OOPS!  She took him over to the CS desk to fill out a credit card app.

Things got better, and I didn't have any more issues.  After our shift was over, I joked to A, "I wasn't your problem child tonight!"  

"No, you weren't!"

The only hiccup was at the end of the shift.  Customer From Hell was taking her time, filling her cart.  When she finally came to my register-mate, Vicki, she had an issue with a paint can.  A was nowhere to be found, so she zeroed it out and kept going.  Finally, she got back to that paint, but A had arrived by then, and did an override.  Then, CFH said she had an LAR, and griped about the total.  A very nicely went through, line by line, and told her how much everything was.  CFH sighed, and said, "It does add up."

I unlocked the doors and let her out.  She told me she was going to return the cart, so I was nice and waited while she a) started her SUV; b) lit a cigarette; c) took a phone call; d) FINALLY unloaded her cart; and e) returned said cart!  I locked the doors, then pushed her cart to the entrance, clocked out, and gathered my things.

I was the last cashier to leave the building.

Next shift is Friday night, so see you back here in a few days:)

No comments: