Thursday, March 7, 2019

Life As A Trainee Pt 3

Day #4:
Last night was my 4th day on the floor, and M and I did a good job of trading places throughout the night.  She began filling out my 'vest-ready' checklist, and by the end of the shift, the only things NOT checked off were things we really haven't gone over, or haven't come up.

During my shift, I learned how to look up drywall (F3 to exit screen, type in appropriate code for new screen, type 'Drywall', tab to what I'm looking for, and hit Enter, then return to sale screen and continue) as well as how to check out carpet (type item #, then how many feet, hit 'enter', and continue).  I also had a few customers come in with cut wire/tubing/whatever those things were, and had to enter how many feet they had.  Was also warned to look out for tile; morning shift had a customer who thought the tile was $.99 each, but it was per square foot.  She was rather irate to discover she was paying $1.35 per tile.

Tonight, I need to make sure I write down the closing procedures, as well as anything else that comes up.

One thing I absolutely LOVE is the 'perks' I get.  I logged onto the Employee Discount Program and discovered my car rental for April went from $130 down to $83.  My hotel room's savings was minimal, only a few dollars, but I have to pre-pay in order to get the discount.  Since I won't have the funds for a few weeks, I'll keep my current rate of $113, then try again.  I think the rate only drops three dollars, so may not even worry about it.

I'm still not on the calendar for next week, but that should change today.  I'll also find out if my offer to work tomorrow has been accepted.  With M moving up on Sat, I need all the practice I can get.  Repetition is key with me; the more I do it, the more confident I'll be on my own.  And there are STILL things that crop up that I've been clueless about, but M assures me it's normal, and happens to every newbie.

Oh, and for the record, I checked:  Those items I'd placed on the end cap by the ceiling fans?  They're still there!

We had an 'honest shoplifter' last night:  Somehow, two box of nails had ended up on their supply cart, and when they arrived home and discovered it, plus checked their receipt and found out they hadn't been paid for, the customer very nicely brought them back!  She didn't need them, so we sent the boxes to be reshelved.

What Have I Been Eating This Week?
Monday, I ate the leftovers from Saturday night's meal, then packed a bologna sandwich and six oreos for my 6pm 'lunch'.

Tuesday:  Daughter treated me to Old Chicago, and we not only split a pizza (my half had chicken and mushrooms), but we also ate a slice of Bailey's Irish Cream Cheesecake, and I drank 3 new 'testers' of craft beer:


Last fall, I discovered I like the Fat Head and the Dogfish; Tuesday, since daughter was driving, I tried Shiner Rock (good); Newcastle Brown Ale (yum), and Breckenridge Vanilla Porter (bleh).  I also accidentally doused my daughter in her own water, BEFORE my taster arrived!  (oops...)  For my dinner, I took my remaining three slices of pizza to work.....then discovered I really should NOT eat pizza on work days.  Gas, and I barely made it to the bathroom at the back of the store in time for the explosion.  Thank god I didn't have to wait for a replacement!  So no more pizza on work days for me.  Also had the remaining 6 oreos for dessert.

Wednesday:  Daughter treated us to Long John Silver's for lunch, and I fixed myself another bologna sandwich and six chocolate chip cookies.

No clue what's on tap for today, other than I need to go to the store.  Granddaughter was appalled to learn I've been borrowing her lunch box, and there's now a sticker on it with my name!  Maybe I need my own now?  I also want to get some Lunchables (cracker kind) and some P-3s, as an alternative to the cookies.  May even start carrying chewing gum (Extra Polar Ice)? 

I LOVE the fact I can take in a fast-food drink cup to my work station or my water bottle:)

Be back tomorrow with my usual Flashback:)

No comments: