Friday, March 1, 2019

Flashback Friday: Getting Swept Off My Feet (Literally)

March 1979
In PE, I was thrilled to learn we would be square dancing:)  Which meant we didn't have to wear our disgusting uniforms, and it was something I actually did well.

My only consternation came when we had to choose partners.  Some days the boys would stand in the squares, leaving us to choose, and some days the girls would stand in the squares, nervously waiting to see which boy would choose her.

Knowing My Place In The Pecking Order???
To this day, I still don't know why I always hung back to choose my square.  Yes, I was shy; yes, I knew I was near the bottom of the 'social pecking order', but I also knew the boys, and even joked with some of them in class.  But I hung back and gloomily accepted my fate as I ended up dancing with the, ah, shall I say, less-than-desirable members of my 7th grade class.  My consolation was I was a good dancer, and was able to cue my partner if he forgot.

I was also thrilled during sixth period:  I had study hall, and during that Square Dancing unit, Mrs. Z would come down to get some extra dancers.  I always volunteered, and was thrilled to dance with the tall 9th graders.

Swept Off My Feet!
One particular day, I was paired with a tall guy (I barely came up to his shoulder!), and during one of the moves, 'Turn Your Partner', he picked me up.  Instead of placing his hand on my back and simply turning in a circle, I felt my partner put his hand under my right elbow and pick me up, my feet leaving the floor as he spun me around!  We weren't allowed to wear our street shoes on the gym floor, so we were all in stocking feet, if we weren't wearing tennis shoes.

I was disappointed that unit didn't last longer.  Probably the only week I got an 'A' in gym class.

Michigan Visitors
Mom's friend Kathy G and her family came to visit!  I don't remember it, but there's a picture of us kids standing in front of the car.

Next Month:  Mix-Up At The Choir Concert!

**********
Present Day:
Today my teen turns 15!  He has really shot up, height-wise, standing 6'3" and has already passed his older brother.  He jokes now he's challenging his dad in order to be the tallest in the family.  He has a long way to go, if he's going to pass up his Great-Uncle Bill, who's 6'7".  His dad and I are taking him to breakfast before school, then ordering him a Marvel Ice Cream Cake from DQ (hopefully; we forgot to order it yesterday!  Praying they can either make one, or there's one in the case...).  No word yet on what he wants for dinner tonight.

The entire family has had the stomach flu this week.  W had it last week; A had it over the weekend; S and I came down with it on Mon; and the spouse spent Tuesday in bed.  Wednesday, we all felt better, esp since the temps were in the mid-50s, and got the back and side yard of the White House cleaned up.  D even took S and I to McAllister's for lunch:)

I also went through my Lowe's orientation on Tuesday, and yesterday was my 1st day of shadowing a cashier, from 10-3pm  The computers were down, where we were to be trained on logging in our times, scheduling days off, getting our emails, and whatever else we're supposed to do, so I'm guessing that's happening during today's shift (9-6pm).  I already know my biggest challenge is going to be sacking large boxes, and remembering to de-magnetize everything, as well as the Accounts Receivable programs, which require a special check-in, and remembering to check for military or veteren's discounts.

I'm just hoping I retain something when I return to the floor either later today or next week!

The good news is, I was worried about being cold, that close to the exit, especially since our temps went back down into the 30s.  I wasn't; I'd even brought an extra sweatshirt, but it remained in the break room during my shift.

The bad news is, it's supposed to snow again this weekend, and I have to sing both Sat night (St. J) and Sunday morning (11am service).

Have a great weekend and stay warm!

No comments: