Friday, May 3, 2013

Flashback Friday

Currently Reading:  Finished Mona Risk's Right Name, Wrong Man and LOVED it!  Definite Recommended Read!  (I know, big surprise right?  I love Mona's books!)  Next up:  Regina Carlysle's Drilled.

Doing something a little different this week, since there are 5 Fridays this month.  And since this is my blog, I get to break my own 'rules', ha ha!  So sit back and enjoy.

May 3, 1991
I woke up this Friday morning, kissed D goodbye, and took off for Lafayette.  I had my hair done, then went to my parents' house to take a leisurely shower and put on my lovely new white suit and pearl jewelry.  One of Mom's friends used to sell Avon, so she did my makeup.  And at 3:00, I headed over to the church.

Met D, and we chatted with my favorite pastor, Dr. T.  I remember him telling my Communicants Class about people automatically assuming pastors had a 'free pass' to heaven, and so I thought I was prepared for the Faith question.  But nerves got the best of me, and I blew it.  D, however, was still thinking clearly, and responded with the answer my brain was screaming at my mouth.

After the meeting, we went out into the foyer to meet my mother, who slipped my wristlet corsage on my wrist, and pinned D's boutannier on his lapel.  D's parents and few friends arrived, including his Best Man in Dress Marine uniform.  Suffered a moment of panic when it looked as if my sister was going to refuse to stand up with me, and my BFF was ready to stand in.  But Dr. T spoke with her, and she agreed.

And after everyone (50+ people) was seated, we walked down the aisle and were married.  About halfway through the ceremony, it hit me that this was the REAL THING, and I wouldn't be whipping off my make-believe veil and telling someone, "You're next!".  I also realized I still had on my engagement ring.  During the prayer, I switched it to my pinky finger and tried to stop crying.  I think I finally quit halfway through the receiving line afterward!

We drove back to my parents' house for a lovely meal and to open our gifts.  And at 10pm, with only a handful of people still there, we dashed to the car in a shower of birdseed.  And promptly hit a deer on the way to our hotel in Carmel, IN.  No damage was done to the car; we'd merely clipped her backside.  And by the time DNR arrived, she'd moved off the highway and into the woods.  So we didn't get to keep it.  (I'm sure the French Quarter Hotel would have loved a deer carcas hanging in the bathtub, lol!)

And two days later, met my parents back at our apartment to find a place for all the lovely gifts, plus begin writing thank you notes.

Over the past 22 years, we've celebrated our anniversary by going out to eat or at our kids' baseball/softball games.  When K and S quit playing in 2004, we joked that we didn't know to spend our anniversary without  nachos, soft pretzels, and hot dogs.  This year, instead of driving to Kansas City as originally planned, we'll be eating lunch at a German restaurant an hour away, then returning for our youngest's baseball game.

So enjoy your weekend!


Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Molly Daniels said...

Why do I keep getting hit with SPAM???