Friday, February 13, 2015

Flashback Friday: Valentine's Day!

Feb 1985:
By now, you know I have a history of lousy Valentine's Days.  In 1982, I broke up with my b/f for a stupid reason, then spent months trying to win him back; in 1983, I'd had a fight with my Valentine; in 1984, I poured out my heart to my Valentine, then made myself scarce the rest of the day.

This year, I thought things would be different.  After all, I returned from Christmas Break back to my lover's arms, but after two weeks, we suddenly discovered we had nothing to talk about.  A week went by, then I received a letter from my HS boyfriend, whom I'd spoken to over Break, and in a letter, had informed him of the recent break up. He wanted a 5th chance with me, and included his HS Key. Being lonely, I slipped the necklace over my head, wore a nice outfit, and had my roommate take my picture.  I sent him the pic, then went about my studies.  I'd also switched my major from Early Childhood Ed to Social Work, and was really enjoying my classes.

A week later, I received another letter, asking for his key back.  Apparently his mommy wasn't happy, so I removed it and sent it back, thinking 'why in the HELL had I done this?  Didn't the first FOUR times show me he was unreliable?'  

Valentine's Day arrived.  My roommates were all paired up, and talked about their romantic nights ahead.  Determined not to be alone, I called my ex and invited him to lunch.  He accepted, then to my delight, spent the afternoon with me, took me to dinner, then we spent a few hours in his dorm room.  I thought me might be back on track.

But the next day, he called me, and said we could be 'weekend buddies'.  I told him I'd think about it.  This resolve lasted only until the following weekend...let's face it, my hormones were raging.  But this only happened a few times before we came to our senses.

*********
Present Day:
My Valentine's Days are no better now; we're usually strapped for money, and on rare times when our Tax Refund has arrived, I do get taken out to dinner.  But this year we're facing a $500 truck repair, plus I have money set aside for upcoming trips in April.  I'll be making a festive dinner for the family, then dragging the spouse to karaoke.

I'm also thinking of doing some 'anti-love' songs tomorrow:
Are You Happy Now-Michelle Branch
If I Could Turn Back Time-Cher
Hate Me-Blue October
Faithfully-Journey (I DO love this song, and hope I get to sing it!)

Happy Valentine's Day!!!!

No comments: