Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Where Did July Go?

Currently Reading:  I finished The Land of Painted Caves and think there was too much time spent on the cave paintings.  After a while, I skipped over much of the description and went straight to the dialogue.  I also felt some of the more interesting sub-plots would add flavor to the story; instead, they fizzled out.  And I soooooo hope Ayla does get to see her son Durc and her old Clan again in later books!  I also want to reread Shelters of Stone; LOPC made references to it that I don't remember.  Course, it's been 8 years since I read it!


Next up:  I checked out two Susan Wiggs books:  At The King's Command and At the Queen's Summons.  The middle one in this trilogy wasn't available.  So far, I'm enjoying King.  And yes, hopefully soon I'll be able to buy e-books again....still getting ready to read Just Right from Bron Green; Phantom's Rest by Anny Cook; and Pretend With Me by Amber Skyze.  Maybe when a) I get out of Edit Hell and b) get caught up on my DVR'd shows, I can read again.  Esp if I'm the one who has to pick up the kids....I get to read for 45 minutes while I wait in my choice parking spot!  Yes, I know; I'm easy to please....


Seriously, didn't we JUST celebrate the 4th?  Oh...that was several weeks ago.  My how time flies when you're extremely occupied!

This summer has flown by.  June was a mass of missed appointments; library programs each week; and a houseful of kids, both mine and the neighbor's.  Want a good time?  Come to Aunt Molly's.  There are popsicles, lemonade, and plenty of iced tea in the fridge.  And if you play your cards right, you might get fed lunch or even dinner.  It took some time, but eventually ME stopped beating up on his sister and the food supplies dwindled.  'Aunt Molly's Cafe' didn't last long when we realized the younglings were devouring hot dogs at an alarming rate.

July brought a brief respite.  MDQ and ME went to their grandparents house for a week, and we enjoyed the quiet.  The heat set in; we spent a great deal of time indoors.  I also edited frantically, as Kenzie's third book was released on the 6th, rather than in late September!  I discovered this June 30th, so thankfully the book is short and the family left me alone!  We also got the wifi up and running, so now everyone's happy.  I can work at the kitchen table; S can be in her room; CK or the SU can be in the living room watching NetFlix; kids can play games on the desk top.

And now it's August.  MDQ and ME are just four days away from their collective birthday and return home; S and Youngling start school in nine days; CK (college kid) returns to Purdue on the 13th.  After a summer of having seven people in the house, we dwindle back to four.  And the only noise from 8:15-2:15 will be the TV or the tapping of my laptop keys.  I'm looking forward to it.

I took the summer off to tutor the kids in reading; I only planned to set up my booth once.  I'm skipping our Watermelon Festival to attend a mini-reunion and to celebrate MDQ and ME's birthdays.  I'll spend this month editing my Arbor U series and getting ready for the rereleases this fall.  Hopefully Teacher's Pet will be released sometime soon, and then I can get to work on the rest of the series, plus writing again.  My Chinese Fortune Cookie fortune the other day said, 'Your lost possession will be returned within the month'...I hope it means either my sanity, my privacy, my inspiration, or maybe it's talking about my Kirby vacuum cleaner?  But that's technically the SUs....

Anyway, I hope to be back to a more regular blogging schedule in the coming weeks.  Thanks to those of you who still check in with me occasionally!

4 comments:

anny cook said...

Wow. Kids here don't go back to school until after Labor Day...

Molly Daniels said...

We get out the end of May. My sis's kids go back after Labor Day too, but they just got out of school sometime in June. We have all these 'built-in' snow days and make up days. If they don't use them, then they don't go any Fridays in May. My thought is, just end school four or five days early if you don't use 'em, but noooo....

Janice Seagraves said...

My daughter starts college on the fifteenth. Grade school, middle school and HS start next week.

Let the madness begin!

Molly Daniels said...

Crazy, isn't it Janice? I've a college sophomore; junior in HS; and 2nd grader.