Monday, November 24, 2008

Thankgsgiving Countdown: Day 4

We did a test-run of the Turkey Fryer, and all is well!

Or didn't I tell you the spouse bought one? I can't remember...anyway, we bought the gas and oil; selected some choice chicken thighs, legs, and breasts; rolled them in Kentucky Colonel flour; fired up the fryer and let them cook for 15-20 minutes.

Oh. My. God!

Delicious! Moist! And you know all is well at the dinner table when the only audible sound is that of lips smacking, teeth biting into the crunchy exterior of the meat, and the occasional "Wow Dad...this is GOOD! Can I have another leg?"

On Thursday, we will have one turkey in the fryer (22 lbs), another in the oven (12 lbs), and a spiral ham. Just in case something goes wrong with the fryer. My immediate problem is where to store everything. The 22 lb-er is thawing more rapidly than anticipated, so instead of cooking this week, the kids and I will be eating any and all leftovers from last week and the weekend. And if all else fails, I can send one of the birds across the street to the neighbors who will be joining us and stash it in their fridge!

To-Do List:
-Dust, vacuum, and de-clutter the living room
-Finish laundry from yesterday
-Take book tour tote and rolling crate to storage. I need to put up a table in its place...
-Check recipes and see if I have any last-minute items (besides coleslaw...can't believe I forgot it!)
-Write for at least 2 hours...I do have a ms to finish y'know...
-Finish reading Prime Time!

So what preparations are you making, if any? I have a feeling that by Friday, I'll be ready to head somewhere warmer!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I needed that list too. Okay, I 'm off to clean some more. Happy Turkey preparing days.

Molly Daniels said...

Wow Kell...were we posting on each other's blogs at the same time?

barbara huffert said...

My plan for Thursday...sleep late, decide which friends to visit.

Unknown said...

We usually have ham and turkey for Thanksgiving. Since the oldest son and his wife have to go to her mother's house Thanksgiving night, we're having a Thanksgiving brunch. I still have to figure out what to have but I'm running out of steam tonight. Nothing like waiting till the last minute.