Friday, June 26, 2009

Shock...

Currently Reading: I'm up to ch 7 on To Love A Hero!! I'm really enjoying it, and am calling it a definite Recommended Read!


Okay, I wasn't shocked by the death of Farrah Fawcett-Majors yesterday; she had been battling cancer.

I WAS shocked by the death of Michael Jackson, and to my husband's disgust, taped BOTH the NBC Dateline special and the CBS specials last night.

I remember watching the Jackson 5 cartoon.

I loved the song 'Ben'.

I wanted to buy Off The Wall soooooo badly, but it was expensive; I think $19.95. And when you're ten or eleven years old and your allowance is 50 cents a week, that was big money! And mom only paid a quarter for various chores around the house (this was before I discovered the laundry big money, lol!).

Thriller came out in 1982 and my sister purchased the LP. It sits in her old bedroom, in a closet with the rest of her records. Saturday Night Fever, Captain and Tenille, The Pirate Movie, and god only knows what others.

I finally bought Off The Wall (the CD) several years ago. I had no interest in his 'Bad' album, since by then the only song I liked from it was Black (and/or) White. And the last time I saw a televised concert, I wanted to yell at him to stop grabbing his crotch, ala 'It's still there!'

I still have my signed Jackson Pepsi can from 1985, the Victory tour. (Remember that joke? What's the difference between Richard Pryor and Michael Jackson? RP was burned by coke; MJ was burned by Pepsi!)

I am saddened for his kids, and hope they will be safe with whoever gets custody of them.

Second shock:
What do you do when you think a beloved friend is making a horrible mistake? Do you stand behind them in support, or do you yell at them first and ask what the hell is going through their mind?

I don't know whether to slap her or hug her. I guess I'll find out as this plays out. If she's still speaking to me after the email I just sent, that is...But good friends can be honest, right? I told her I was shocked, and had conflicting emotions. I also told her she knew where to find me, and to give me a few days to clear my head.

Change of Plans
There's been a shake-up around here. I'm now working part time at the fireworks store, helping Travis get through Hell Week, as he calls it. Hubby's still not working, so it was time I answered a call for help. W is NOT happy about it! But it's only until after the 4th...and on an as-needed basis until the 22nd. Yes, Indiana's passed an ordinance or something which states idiots can now set off fireworks until July 22nd. Insane.

But now I can say I've run a cash register! Ahhh the skills you pick up in life. And right now, there is plenty of down time between customers to write in longhand!

2 comments:

Molly Daniels said...

I wanna rock with you...
all night...
Dancin' in the
sunlight...
Rock with you, rock with you...

Unknown said...

Although I was a bigger MJ fan when he and I were both kids (he's only a year or a few months older than me so we grew up together) I'm still saddened by the news and I'm in big shock. It sure makes me feel mortal although this isn't about me.

My prayers and sympathy goes out to his family.

If my bil were still alive, he'd be in major mourning.