Monday, February 22, 2010

Stepping Up Vs Dropping The Ball Or Do I Have Sucker Written Across My Head?

Currently Reading: Hopefully I'll be able to start Tymber's book today. Keep reading to see why my schedule's been slightly interrupted.


If you read Saturday's post or saw my status on Facebook, you know Life exploded on me again this past Friday.

I just don't understand some families.

Here's the condensed version: Stepdaughter J was admitted to the hospital on Friday for some tests. Those tests proved inconclusive, so more tests were needed. Sunday, the doctors did exploratory surgery. Still no idea why she's having so much abdominal pain. So today it's the colonoscopy.

Her children are with me, because her mother had to work; one brother is in college; the other brother has his life. Her fiance' is holding her hand in the hospital.

Now maybe this is just me, but I know if my daughter was in the hospital and her kids needed taking care of, I would tell my employer I needed either a few days off to take care of my grandchildren or at least flexible hours so I could get them off to school. Same with my sister's children, if they lived in the same town.

But no...her family needs to send the kids two hours south. I hope someone remembers to call their school and arrange for their schoolwork to be emailed to me. And since only two sets of clothing was sent, I'm either going to have to go buy some clothing or do laundry every day.

The SU and I have discussed the situation many times. Last year, I was ready to accept both MDQ and ME into my home and enroll them in school down here. J assurred me she'd gotten her act together.

And now this.

Am I doing the right thing? Part of me is furious at J for not providing a stable home for her kids. The other part commends her for her cat-like tendancies to always land on her feet. But this last issue is nearly the last straw for me. Her kids need to be in a STABLE home, instead of changing schools/homes every six months or so. Part of me wonders if by us stepping up and becoming temporary guardians for these kids, are we enabling this 30-year-old child to opt out of her responsibilities? Or does there come a time when we need to step in and do what's best for the kids?

MDQ expressed her sadness at not being able to be in Brownies because 'Momma doesn't have time to take me to meetings.' And ME wondered if he was still a Cub Scout 'I haven't been to any meetings this year.'

Breaks my heart.

I'm not sure how long J will be hospitalized. At this point, I'm ready to simply have their records transferred so they can attend school instead of being held in limbo.

Keep us in your prayers? We joked last night that we're sending one off to college and taking in two to replace him:)

Olympic Update:
With the above situation, I was only able to watch the Ice Dancing Original Dance this weekend.
So far, Canada is in 1st place, with USA in 2nd and 4th.

And discovered USA beat Canada 5-3 in hockey:)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Best of luck, Molly. Hugs.

Regina Carlysle said...

I'm so sorry to hear about all of this. I hope you get this all figured out but I feel so sad for these kids.

Paris said...

This is a tough one and I don't envy you your choices. I'm hoping for the best possible outcome for all of you. Hugs.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Paris:) Stepping up isn't always easy, but in the long run, beneficial for everyone involved.

Molly