Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Terrific Tuesday with Julia Rachel Barrett:)

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.

Hi, and thanks for hosting me. I’m Julia Rachel Barrett and I write contemporary romance, romance/suspense and I’m branching into paranormal and science fiction. My first release with Resplendence Press, Beauty and the Feast, comes out March 10. It’s a humorous contemporary featuring a personal chef, Eva Raines, and her client, winery owner, Gabriel Abbott. Eva manages to seduce Gabe with the flavors of the food before he lays eyes on her.

Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?

Yes and no. I’ve had ideas that got my heart racing, but nothing that scared me. One story, in particular, was tough to write as it is semi-autobiographical. The title is Cara and it will be re-releasing with Resplendence Press in 2011.

Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?

Yes. See above! Actually, every one of my books contains a part of me and a piece of my life. My stories are set in places I’ve lived. My characters respond to events the way I would respond, at least my hero and heroine tend to. Even the bad guys are modeled after people I’ve known, for better or for worse.

How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?

I tend to just write. I research as needed. I guess a lifetime of experience equals a lot of research.

Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?

What’s that saying…the heart wants what it wants? We love who we love and the meeting of souls makes for a great story. I guess I want my readers to finish reading my book with a smile on their faces.

Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?

I am not a plotter. I make a few notes as I write, but that’s about it and yes, my stories always take on a life of their own. I merely go with the flow.

How long did it take for you to be published?

I was published back when I was in college – poetry. Over the years, I’ve had the occasional article printed in medical and nursing journals…I’m a registered nurse. However, once I wrote my first nonfiction book, it took me a year to find a publisher. I’ve learned to take rejection letters in stride. My first romance was easier. Anytime Darlin’ got picked up right away and it will be re-released next year.

If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?

I don’t generally look back and wonder if I could have done things differently. Life turns out the way it turns out. I’m happy with my current writing career.

Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?

Laptop. Espresso. Double espresso. Espresso machine. Background noise – usually my birds chirping. No music – I spend too much time singing along and I am easily distracted.

Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?

Oh wow. I have so many favorite authors. I read like crazy. Who influenced me? My favorite romance writer is Linda Howard. My favorite science fiction book is Dune. My favorite television series – great writing – is Battlestar Galactica. I love Cormac McCarthy. James Clavell. Charlotte Bronte. Louisa May Alcott. My house is filled to the rafters with books…makes it tough to pick favorites.

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?

I am totally and completely into horses. Have been all my life. I believe there is nothing in the world as good as a good horse.

For Fun:

What is your favorite love scene to write or read? (ie: First kiss, passion after a fight, reunion)
My favorite love scene to read is always the first physical or sexual encounter, even if the two characters don't actually 'do it.' Sometimes I like it better if we have sexus interruptus!

What is your favorite Valentine’s Day memory?
You know, I am not a big Valentine's Day person. I would say my sweetest memory is a valentine I received in the fifth grade from a boy I had a crush on. He gave me a great big, beautiful card. We were an item off and on for several years in high school. Tragically, he was killed in a car accident graduation night.

Sweetest gift ever given to you?
Gifts are another thing I'm not too big on. Hmm. I guess my kids! They are my three favorite things!

Beauty and The Feast, available March 10th
Blurb:
Eva Raines is an uncomplicated country girl who’s all about food. Eva moves to the Napa Valley where her culinary skills come to the attention of the owners of a start-up and Eva finds her niche as a personal chef. Now all she needs is a man as perfect as her cooking, but she has serious doubts such a creature exists.
When wealthy entrepreneur, winery owner, and noted lothario, Gabriel Abbott, makes plans to seduce his flavor of the month, his assistant hires All Things to All People to cater a gourmet dinner. Eva expects to use her way with food to showcase the startup. What she unexpectedly discovers is that her culinary skills showcase far more. Gabriel Abbott finds himself seduced by her voice and the sensual flavors and textures of her food and his previous plans are quickly forgotten. He begins to obsess about meeting his little chef in person. He’s not alone. Once Eva hears Gabe’s voice and spends time in his home in the Napa Valley, she begins to wonder about the real man and her dreams of him are so hot they could ignite a barbecue.
When Eva and Gabe finally come face to face, the question is, how hot will their fire burn?

Excerpt:
Gabe woke to singing. The room he lay in was dark and it took him a moment to remember where he was. When he smelled Eva, he knew. Gabe reached for her, but the spot where she’d lain was empty. He leaned back on the pillows, crossing his arms behind his head, and listened. It was an old Bonnie Raitt song, one he’d always loved—Angel from Montgomery. He closed his eyes and enjoyed the music. At first he thought Eva had turned on a CD player, but after listening for a few moments, he realized that there were no instruments accompanying the singing voice. It was all Eva. When she finished the song, she launched into a raw rendition of Lowell George’s Dixie Chicken. Gabe found himself grinning. If Eva would be his Dixie Chicken and he would most definitely offer to be her Tennessee Lamb. Gabe reached down to make sure he was covered in case she happened into the bedroom. He was relieved to find that she had thrown a quilt over his open fly. Maybe he’d covered himself. His memory was pretty vague.

Eva must be feeling better or she wouldn’t be up and about, and singing her lungs out. Her singing voice kept a smile on his face. It was smoky, peaty, and right on key. She sounded exactly the way she sounded when he’d awakened her with his late night phone calls. Warm, cuddly, sexy as hell. Just as Gabe began to wonder what she was up to, his nose started twitching and his stomach began to growl. She was cooking. If his nose was right, she was making Reuben sandwiches. Shit, he hadn’t had a good Reuben since the last time he was in Chicago and he’d taken his sister and her family to a deli.

Gabe adjusted his jeans and made sure to zip them up before he climbed out of bed. He stepped into the hallway and looked for the bathroom. When he came out of the bathroom, he ran into Eva just coming to wake him. He took a look at her long legs as she approached and he noticed that she wasn’t quite as stiff as he expected her to be. Despite the scrapes on her knees, she moved with an athletic grace he found extremely appealing. She still wore the man’s boxers she’d slept in. They hung on her slender frame so she’d rolled the waistband several times to keep them up. The ragged tee shirt didn’t cover much. Light from the living room shone through the thin cotton, framing her narrow waist and the gentle flare of her hips. He felt himself stir at the sight of her erect nipples poking against the material. He decided to be polite and look at her face.

“How’s your head?” He asked, studying the bruise on her forehead. She’d pulled her dark red hair back and braided it.

“It’s all right,” Eva replied. “It’s just a bump.”

“And the knees?”

“Sore.” She shrugged. “They’ll be better by the end of the week. Gabe…” she began.

“Hmm?” Gabe raised his eyebrows and waited.

“Thank you. Thanks for bringing me home and cleaning me up. I’m… I’m… I have to admit I’m more than a little embarrassed.”

Gabe felt his mouth twitch. “Why would you be embarrassed? Because I cleaned your cuts or because I stripped you naked and feasted my eyes on your beautiful body?”

Eva’s mouth opened and she sputtered for just an instant before she covered her flaming cheeks with her hands. Gabe heard a muffled, “Oh crap,” and he laughed.

Gabe took hold of her hands and he lifted them away from her face. “You have nothing to be embarrassed about, Eva. It was my pleasure. Truly. I would go so far as to say you are now in my top ten list of remarkable experiences.”

“Really?” Eva shot back, grinning now. “How high do I rank?”

Gabe ran a thumb across her luscious bottom lip. He heard her sharp intake of breath. “Number two, maybe.”

“Not number one?” she whispered.

“Give it time,” he teased, “I haven’t tasted you… yet.”

Eva lifted her chin. Gabe stared into her eyes, asking permission without saying a single word. He could see uncertainty warring with her strong desire to challenge him to do exactly what he threatened. Taste her. Everywhere. Starting with that delicious mouth of hers. He watched as Eva’s lips parted in anticipation, and he knew which side won. Before she could change her mind, Gabe slid a hand under her braid and he cupped the back of her head. He rubbed his lips against hers, as if testing the waters. Eva sighed softly in response, accepting him, but at the same time Gabe felt one of her hands press firmly against his chest as if holding him at bay. For an instant, he didn’t know which part of her to listen to, but then her tongue flicked delicately over his lips and he shut his mind up and kissed her.

The moment Gabe’s lips touched hers, Eva felt like butter left too long in the hot summer sun. At the same time, a tiny voice in the back of her mind reminded her that she really didn’t know the man at all. She’d been in his home, even in his bedroom. She’d strolled his gardens, picked his herbs, cooked for him, tasted his wines. Yet she truly didn’t know a thing about the man. The idea of pushing him away flashed through her brain, but her body decided not to listen. Her body responded automatically to the delicate touch of his mouth against hers. Before she knew what she was doing, Eva had licked his lips. Gabe’s body replied instantaneously. In fact, he practically combusted. An arm slid around her waist and Eva found herself drawn firmly against his hard chest, while the hand at the base of her skull tilted her head back to allow Gabe easier access to her mouth.

Eva had been kissed, but not like this. Not by a man this hungry. Not ever. His tongue explored her mouth liberally, uninhibitedly. It tangled with her own, tasting her as if she were a rare wine. Without realizing it, Eva dug a hand into Gabe’s thick hair and pulled him even closer, while her other hand clung to his shoulder. Eva felt the wall behind her back as Gabe rubbed his long, hard length against her, the material of her boxers moving with him as he pressed himself against what Eva considered her sweet spot. Caught entirely off guard by the strength of her desire, she heard herself whimper, feeling helpless, pleading for more.

A warm hand slid under her tee shirt and fingers moved up her belly. Eva found herself arching her back, giving him easier access. Gabe wasted no time in discovering the sensitive underside of her breast. He stroked the satiny skin with his fingertips and then, as his big hand cupped her breast, his thumb circled her nipple. Eva’s legs shook when he rolled her aching tip between his thumb and forefinger. She tore her mouth away from his, and tossed her head back, moaning, while his teeth sought her neck and he nibbled his way down her collarbone. Eva knew where his mouth was headed and she nearly screamed in anticipation. Abruptly, he shoved her tee shirt up and he arrived at her breast. Gabe closed his hot, wet mouth around a nipple that had become almost painful with desire. He sucked, closing his teeth around her taut point, biting, the action deliberate yet delicate at the same time.

Eva did scream, at least, she thought she did, and her hands sought the front of his jeans. She stroked his hard length through the taut material. She heard Gabe groan, his mouth still on her breast. He sounded as if he was in agony. In one fluid motion, Eva unzipped his jeans and she moved his boxers and freed him. A single thought raced through her brain as her hand ran down his steely length, Oh my God, and then it disappeared as her tee shirt was torn from her and her boxers were shoved down her thighs. Gabe’s fingers searched the delicate folds between her legs. She could tell she was incredibly wet and very slippery.

“Jesus Christ,” she heard him grit out between clenched teeth as a finger was thrust carefully inside her. Her body welcomed the intrusion and her mouth trembled as he took her lips again, thrusting his tongue inside, matching the rhythm of his finger. Eva teetered on the brink of what seemed like either a precipice or a cataclysmic orgasm. She wasn’t sure which. She slid her thumb over the tip of Gabe’s big cock, finding a drop of moisture there. The image had her panting. She heard him growl deep in his throat and her boxers vanished. She felt his hands reach beneath her bottom. Gabe began to lift her off her feet and… suddenly Eva smelled smoke. She pried open her eyes and watched, puzzled, as a gray haze drifted their way from the kitchen. For an instant the sight didn’t register, then the smoke detector above their heads began to shriek.

“Shit!” Eva yelped. “The potatoes!” Her feet found the floor. She shoved Gabe backward and bolted for the kitchen.

“Fuck the potatoes!” she heard him rumble from behind her retreating back.

Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.

You will be able to find my books with the following publishers:

Logical Lust – The Cougar Anthology – coming Feb. 14. My story is – You Might Just Get It.

Resplendence Press – Beauty and the Feast – March 10, a contemporary romance.
Daughters of Persephone, Book One, Exile, Book Two, Return, and Book Three, Reborn, coming in July and August, an exciting, action-packed, three-part futuristic romance.

Siren – Captured – coming in April, a lovely sci fi romance.

Cobblestone Press – My Everything – a re-release of one of my favorite romance/suspense novels, a super fun read.

Resplendence will be re-releasing Anytime Darlin’ and Cara within the next eighteen months so I’ve got a bunch of stuff coming out all at once!

This had been a busy year so wish me luck! Thanks again, Julia

Olympic Update:
Ice Dancing Free Dance:
Gold: Canada!!! Theirs was beautiful! One particular lift really showed Tessa Virtue's strength!
Silver: USA's Davis/White. They skated to Phantom of the Opera and did a wonderful job!
Bronze: Russia. I kept wondering if she was having a 'wardrobe malfunction', but no, just a strategically placed set of sequins.
4th place: USA's Belbin/Agosto.

Due to limited time and two extra slightly high maintenance children in my house, my Olympic viewing was limited last night. It's still on my DVR, and hopefully later today I'll get to see the qualifying runs of the aerolists and team ski-jumping.

11 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Great interview. It was nice to meet you, Julia. I love the title and cover of your book. And I totally agree, that first encounter between hero and heroine is great whether they do it or not. I love reading about sparking chemistry.

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Thanks so much for this interview! It was really fun. Thanks, Linda!

Kenzie Michaels said...

Hi Julis:) Love the excerpt! I'm looking forward to reading this and more of your work:)

Regina Carlysle said...

Love the excerpt and great interview, Ladies!

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Thanks Linda and thanks Regina!

Fran Lee said...

Ah! Julia, girl! I cannot wait to read the entire book. And the cover looks great!

April Ash said...

Beauty and the Feast sounds great...what part of you is in it???
Lots of sales!
Marianne/April

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Which part of me? The chef part! I'm a pastry chef, been a caterer, owned a restaurant and I've been a personal chef. Crazy and fun!

Molly Daniels said...

LOL...you and Kenzie have something in common, Julia:) Even if she did mistype your name! Her first book centered around a chef.

I can hardly wait to read your books; thanks for letting me know about Cara and Anytime Darlin'! I'm sooo glad you stopped by:)

Julia Rachel Barrett said...

Thanks for having me!

Sandra Cox said...

Great interview, ladies. Julia is a wonderful writer.