Saturday, February 27, 2010

Saturday's Stupid Saying and Did I Make The Right Decision?

Bluepoint Oysters Opened While You Wait In Their Own Juice

roadside sign in Cape May, New Jersey

Another Ultimate Dilemma:
The SU promised me a laptop. And when he also pointed out a local store was now carrying the Sony E-Reader Pocket Edition for less than $200, I took it to mean he was buying me one.

Last night, we went to said store. The laptop I wanted was out of stock, and two more were due to arrive this morning. We thanked the clerk and headed back across the electronics department.

I paused by the Sony display.

"Here's the e-reader..."

"Which one do you want? One or the other."

I thought for a moment. "I really want the e-reader. I can use it immediately at my signing tomorrow."

"But what about when S is on the laptop and K's at the desktop and you want to write?"

"I can write in longhand."

(Heavy sigh...) "All right. I'll go get the clerk."

Brought it home, charged it up, and aside from the minor fact the two book covers are in black and white, it's easy to use. I've not figured out how to take books off of it, in order to put them on my flash (it only holds 350 books, and since I'm only going to keep on it the books I absolutely love, I'll eventually have to shuffle the files around), but I suspect another day of playing with it should reveal the answer.

But on the way home, the SU brought up the fact that now he won't have peace and quiet, since he also bought the wifi router and will still be hearing at least one person complaining of not being able to use a computer!

So I'd like your thoughts: Did I choose the wrong electronic 'toy'? Should I take back the e-reader and get the laptop tomorrow, and wait for a Nook? Or re-buy the Sony in a couple of weeks (Easter's a month away, grin!)? Or should I simply accept my decision and wait until the SU returns to work or even this time next year?

Which one would YOU have chosen?

I'm off to my signing in a couple of hours. Here's hoping many stop by the table to see the e-reader!

Update on kids' mom:
She had a CT scan yesterday which revealed nothing. She's getting a second opinion and the exploratory surgery will either be done and she'll be out of the hospital by Tuesday, or one of us is going to have to take the kids up and stay with them so they can at least attend school and be near their mother.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm not sure what to tell you. As much as I enjoy my e-reader I use my lap top much more. But then it's me. I also write long hand a lot then transfer it to the computer. Sometimes I think better when writing in longhand. If I'm on the computer, I get distracted by everything else on the Internet and get no writing done.

Unknown said...

Molly ~ I think I would have chosen the laptop.

Currently, I don't have an ereader, but with several different laptops in the house and one PC. I'm happy that no one has to wait turns getting logging onto the internet. In my household there are myself and my girls. I'm always writing and they do some of their school projects on their laptops.

How do you feel about the decision? I think if you are used to writing via pen and paper and don't mind waiting for the computer, then you've made the correct choice.

BTW, have you tried buying a laptop from QVC? The have reasonable monthly payments.

Charisma

Sandra Cox said...

I ended up getting the laptop instead of the reader. But still want a reader. sigh.