Thursday, December 24, 2009

Gift Cards: Good Idea or Death Sentence To The Relationship?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Seriously, this was actually debated on a radio talk show yesterday. Is it okay to give your wife/Life Partner/Significant Other a gift card for Christmas?

The 'expert' says no way. It's too casual, and screams 'I don't know anything about you, and I've not paid any attention to your likes, dislikes, personal tastes, etc and I'm not even invested in this relationship.'

On the other hand, if you want to break up but feel obligated to do it after the holidays and yet still get her something, a gift card is 'perfect, because then maybe she'll see you for the schmuck you really are and will save you the trouble of dumping her by dumping you first!'

Thoughts, anyone?

Myself, I like gift cards. Especially from restaurants and book stores. And Land's End. And no, that's not all I want for Christmas, but then again, I consider myself fairly easy to please. Chocolate, books, perfume, wine....all good gifts. And yes, the occassional jewelry that I've hinted for years that I'd like (still waiting on it, in fact, lol!).

So here's my take. If that's all you plan to get your special woman, then yeah, you're not going to get a favorable rating. But if it arrives with a box of chocolates, her favorite scent, a bouquet of flowers, or simply tucked into her stocking along with other gifts under the tree, then yes it will be appreciated:)

Christmas Eve Carols:
O Holy Night

O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of the dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining.
Till He appeared and the Spirit felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.
Fall on your knees! Oh, hear the angel voices!
O night divine, the night when Christ was born;
O night, O holy night, O night divine!
O night, O holy night, O night divine!

Do You Hear What I Hear

Said the night wind to the little lamb,
"Do you see what I see?
Way up in the sky, little lamb,
Do you see what I see?
A star, a star, dancing in the night
With a tail as big as a kite,
With a tail as big as a kite."


Said the little lamb to the shepherd boy,
"Do you hear what I hear?
Ringing through the sky, shepherd boy,
Do you hear what I hear?
A song, a song high above the trees
With a voice as big as the the sea,
With a voice as big as the the sea."


Said the shepherd boy to the mighty king,
"Do you know what I know?
In your palace warm, mighty king,
Do you know what I know?
A Child, a Child shivers in the cold--
Let us bring him silver and gold,
Let us bring him silver and gold."


Said the king to the people everywhere,
"Listen to what I say!
Pray for peace, people, everywhere,
Listen to what I say!
The Child, the Child sleeping in the night
He will bring us goodness and light,
He will bring us goodness and light."

We are also on 'baby alert'! SG, my 'adopted' daughter, called last night to say her plug went, and wanted to know what that meant. So baby Shaunt will be making his entrance any time in the next week! Stay tuned:)

1 Day Left!
Gifts Bought/Wrapped: Finished buying stocking stuffers and final 5 presents. Locked myself in the basement and wrapped until 2am.
Cookies Baked: My kids will be thrilled. The aroma of freshly baked cookies will fill the house today:)

3 comments:

Anny Cook said...

I would MUCH rather have a gift card--providing it's from a store where I would be interested in shopping--such as AC Moore, Barnes and Noble, ...something like that. Don't get me a generic WalMart card unless you know there's something I want there.

I send my two out-of -state kids and my parents WalMart cards because I KNOW that's where they shop. In my son's case, that's the only store in town. Ditto for my parents.

Sandra Cox said...

I love gift cards.
Have a Merry Christmas, Molly.

barbara huffert said...

Merry Christmas, Molly!