Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Christmas Memories

Currently Reading: Loved IOU and Smokin' Ace! As I've said previously, the entire Carnal Reunions series is a Recommended Read! I'm looking forward to purchasing Tessie Bradford's Training Randi, the final book in the series.

I won Reginal Carlysle's new one, Edge of Nowhere, book #4 of her shifter series. Since I've only read the first one, I asked her to send me Lone Star Lycan instead, which is book #2. I'm undecided if I'll read it next or Naughty Nooners Antho. If I'm productive today and get everything accomplished, I'll settle down with one of these books later.



Christmas 1999
I think this was the year it snowed heavily, and we spent our third Christmas morning in our new home, simply relaxing with a roaring fire in the fireplace, the kids playing happily with their new toys, and no pressure to go anywhere.

The men in the neighborhood appeared with lawn tractors equipped with snow plows, and soon driveways and our common road were plowed clear. K and S bundled up and went out to play in the snow drifts.

Y2K was 'ominously looming'; I'd bought champagne glasses with the year 2000 on them, plus a Hallmark ornament depicting an exploding champagne bottle for the tree. The kids drank Cherry Kool-Aid out of those glasses to toast the New Year, and no, the electronics did not come to a screeching halt. Everything was still normal.

Remember This Christmas Carol?
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas
We wish you a merry Christmas and a happy new year!

Good tidings we bring, to you and your kin
Good tidings for Christmas and a happy new year!

That version seems to have disappeared. Now the kids sing a rather selfish version.

So bring us some figgy pudding
So bring us some figgy pudding
So bring us some figgy pudding and be of good cheer!

We won't go until we get some
We won't go until we get some
We won't go until we get some so bring it right here!

Who invented that one?

Here's my favorite whimsical one:

I Want a Hippopotamus For Christmas
-- writing credits go to John Rox, copyright 1950. It's included on a
tape by "Joanie Bartel's Christmas Magic."



"I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
I don't want a doll, no dinkey tinker toys
I want a hippopotamus to play with and enjoy


I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
I don't think Santa Claus will mind, do you?
He won't have to use a dirty chimney flue
Just bring him through the front door
That's the easy thing to do


I can see me now on Christmas morning
Creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy, what surprise
When I open up my eyes
To see a hippo hero standing there


I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
No crocodiles, no rhinosaurus
I only likes hippopotamuses [sic]
And hippopotamuses [sic] like me, too


Mom says a hippo would eat me up, but then
Teacher says a hippo is a vegetarian
There's lots of room for him in our two-car garage
I'd feed him there and wash him there and give him his massage.


I can see me now on Christmas morning
Creeping down the stairs
Oh what joy, what surprise
When I open up my eyes
To see a hippo hero standing there


I want a hippopotamus for Christmas
Only a hippopotamus will do
No crocodiles, no rhinosaurus
I only likes hippopotamuses [sic]
And hippopotamuses [sic] like me, too"


What's your favorite Christmas carol? Do you gravitate toward the traditional, children's, or unconventional ones?

To Do List:
-Take S to her follow-up orthopedic appointment;
-Drop D at the lab for his blood draw;
-S's PT at 12:30;
-Buying one last gift and stocking stuffers;
-Crit group at 5pm.
-Watch the DVD Julie and Julia, which the SU very nicely brought me from the RedBox:)

4 Days Left:
Gifts bought: None. Was still feeling rather iffy yesterday.
Cookies baked: None. Same reason. I should be more productive today!

2 comments:

Linda Kage said...

I'd never heard the hippo song before! Thanks for sharing. There's nothing like good family memories on the holidays.

Regina Carlysle said...

Ooooh. Very cool. Thanks for sharing the "Christmasses Past".