Thursday, August 12, 2010

Terrific Thursday with Brigit Aine:)


Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.


Hello. My name is Brigit Aine and I write erotic/paranormal and paranormal romance. I am expecting 2 releases (which were originally scheduled for August but have been pushed back) this fall with Decadent Publishing.

I have “Kraig’s Kat”, Book 3 Torrent’s Talents, coming soon. This is the third book in a series that I have out about Torrent, a town where those with unique talents feel welcome. Book 3 is about Katherine and Kraig. Katherine’s father wants to use her unique abilities to further his own political agenda and Katherine flees to Torrent. Kraig is a werewolf who didn’t realize how important a mate was until he meets Katherine. There are some great moments for these two as well as some characters from the first two books. (Book 1 is going to be re-released in November with Decadent under a new title “Red’s Return).

I also have “Justice for Leanne” coming. This is the story for me right now. The one that means the most so takes the most time to edit and revise. The story is set around a portal from Hell that releases souls/people back into the mortal realm after they have been rehabilitated. Leanne works for the Lesser God, Justice. She weighs the souls trying to come through the portal to see if they are worthy of another chance. Leanne and Justice are just discovering their feelings for one another and trying to figure out life when something big and dangerous decides to try and come through the portal. They will have to rely on each other and their friends to get through this.


Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?


I have. I have a great story just sitting there. It is an empathy/vampire ménage and it still just sits there. I think I have too much emotional investment and then when it takes a turn for the darker I scare myself.


Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?


Not yet. But I am currently working on one where a few things from my life are sitting in it and a few nightmares that I hope never come true are sitting.


How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?


I write and research as needed. I also create my own spaces so I can make my own rules, then I don’t have to do toooo much research at all :D


Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?


Message: Have fun, believe in the things you can’t see and remember the paranormal is just normal.


Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?



Pantser for sure. If I try to plot I seem to get bogged down in the little details. It is better for me if I go back and add them all in later (when my editor says I have too). Yep. My stories almost all take on a life of their own. I think I am headed one way and the characters say…what if we did this…and bang off we go in another direction completely. Sigh. Very distracting and frustrating. I like to know the ending, even before the beginning. My characters don’t always agree.


How long did it take for you to be published?


I got lucky. I wrote my first short-story for an erotic e-pub, it was very short. I turned it into a novella and within a few days it was accepted. I know I have been extremely lucky in this business in that I have had very few rejections for my stories. That isn’t to say I don’t have to work hard at the editing once the story is accepted.

If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?

Remember that it isn’t as easy as everyone thinks it is and your thoughts really are worth putting down for everyone else to read. (I am still surprised when someone on my Facebook tells me they read a story I wrote).



Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?


Laptop and pen and paper. I have sticky notes (a ‘must-have’) that I jot quick thoughts on and then I start typing those thoughts into a story.


Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?


Gosh…there are too too many to name. Denyse Bridger, Christine Feehan, Vikki Petterson, Kelly Armstrong, Douglas Adams, Piers Anthony, Anne McCaffery, Aldous Huxley, Seannan MacGuire, Kayden McLeod. Those are just a very few.


I would say Douglas Adams. His humor and wit and unconventional styles have made me think I can do whatever I want in my stories.


What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?


Hmmmm…I am a High School Vice Principal in real life…


Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.


Head over to http://www.brigitsworld.com or join me on Facebook http://www.facebook.com/brigitaine or at Brigit’s World Blog http://brigitsworld.blogspot.com/




Justice for Leanne - Coming in August with Decadent Publishing

“You want me?” She asked in amazement. He could tell from the tone in her voice that she wasn’t going to be an easy sell.. “It has been three hundred years and now you’ve decided we should move our relationship to the next level. Well let me tell you something,” he watched as she stood up and started pacing, a delicious red blush coming to her cheeks, just like he was thinking about earlier. “You don’t get to decide when we more our relationship forward, or even if it does. You aren’t the only one involved in this. You can’t just come in here and after all this time tell me that you are making the choices.

“This is my life too. Maybe I don’t want to move forward. Did you think of that? Did it occur to you after years of wearing my heart on my sleeve for you, I don’t want to take the risk that moving forward would present? Wait.” She frowned as if she’d only just now heard the other part of his statement. Suspicion flared in her eyes, and she peered intently at him. “What things haven’t you told me?”

Justice was following her with his eyes. He almost missed her change in topic in the middle of her rant. “Well, there are some complications about when I choose you to have as my scale bearer that I still haven’t told you about. We need to work through these before anything else can happen.”

“What kinds of issues and complications are we talking about? What is there to know? I carry the scales because you can’t touch them. As long as you want me to carry them, I will live. You put the souls on the scales, and if they don’t measure up, I send them back to Hell. If they do measure up, then I get to send them through the Brimstone City Gates.” Leanne looked over to where Justice was still sitting at the table.


13 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Hi, Brigit!! Nice to meet you. I love your book covers; I never would've guessed you were a vice principal (do you hear that alot...or the other way around?!).

Denysé Bridger said...

Having had the pleasure of watching Brigit grow into her writing skill and style, I have to say, she's gotten very good, very fast! She tells wonderful stories that will touch deeply, and not always in expected ways - part of what makes her well worth reading! The surprises are always there, within you and within her flowing prose... The lady herself blesses me daily with her friendship and her generous, loving heart.

Always,
Denyse

Anonymous said...

Oh...Denyse...I love you.

Thanks Linda. As Brigit I hear when I tell people. It is kind of fun. Since my alter ego doesn't reciprocate...LOL...don't hear much the other way.

I have a wonderful cover artist over there so it is fun!

Unknown said...

I'm completely intrigued by your covers and blurbs. Can't wait to read!

Foxx Miyamoto said...

Wonderful interview, Brigit! Congrats on the release with Decadent Publishing!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm so happy to see that wonderful cover for JFL! It's just what I pictured. xoxox Terry

Anonymous said...

Oh thanks everyone. I know Terry isn't it great? Now we have a picture to work with too... :D

Mary Corrales said...

Excellent interview, Brigit. Congrats on your upcoming releases.

I completely loved the excerpt you shared. Good luck with Justice For Leanne. It sounds like a wonderful read. :)

April Ash said...

Sometimes our "real" life can be scary and nightmares might make good reading...but can get you to think about your "darker side".
Sounds sinister and scary...but that can be a good thing, too, when you consider all the stuff you can write while you remember "it was just a nightmare, nothing real".
Marianne/April

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks for being with me today Brigit:) I'm with everyone else; this excerpt was fantastic!

Karen Michelle Nutt said...

Hi Brigit,

I have to say, I didn't know you were a Vice Principal in this realm of existence. lol

Love your book covers, too. Beautiful!
Enjoyed the interview, gals.

Liz Flaherty said...

Cool cover!

Anonymous said...

Thank you to everyone...kind of crazy to keep the two lives going I gotta tell you.

Justice is a work from the heart.

Nightmares are always good fodder for more to come but absolutely they are just nightmares.

Molly...thank you so much for allowing me to be a part of your musings.