Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Terrific Tuesday with Olivia Starke:)

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.


I’m happy to be here, thank you for the opportunity to interview! I’m Olivia Starke, a paranormal erotic romance writer. With my latest release I’ve taken a jaunt into fantasy—A Sorcerer’s Pleasure is available now at Cobblestone Press. http://cobblestone-press.com/catalog/books/sorcererspleasure.htm Here is the blurb, it’ll best give you an idea of the tale. I’m already getting great reviews with it!

Evelyn Bowers has had it with dead end relationships. She is ready to swear off men, until she is rescued by a mysterious stranger who sets fire to her libido. Will she open her heart--and her mind--to what Savaric has to offer?

Savaric has carried a centuries old curse of celibacy when he meets a luscious damsel in distress. Evelyn makes Savaric realize it's not just sex that's he's missing in his life. Will he make the ultimate sacrifice to break his curse?


Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?


They are all a little scary lol. Just the task of getting a really vibrant story from my head to mere words down on the page can be daunting. I want to provide my readers with a really thrilling experience, as well as do justice to the characters I’m creating. I feel readers and characters deserve my all.


Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?


Oh gosh I wish! No my life is pretty dull so I live vicariously through my characters.


How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?


I mostly write first and research as needed, though at times I research first to get the names for my characters.


Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?


I want readers to have faith in a happily ever after ending, as well as accepting themselves for who they are. I try to write my heroines with faults such as being curvy, or with some type of physical/emotional scars. We all deserve love and we all deserve the best possible future!


Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?


Pantser all the way! My stories always lead me and they always take on lives of there own. I’ve tried over and over to do outlines and planning, and I HATE it. I feel confined and I invariably rebel against my own restrictions. I figure life can be unpredictable and so should my stories. That’s half the excitement of writing for me—never knowing where I’ll go or where I’ll end up.


How long did it take for you to be published?


A few months, I took a romance writing course, and afterwards sent out my first ‘baby.’ I received a few rejections, but eventually Cobblestone picked up Mind Games, paranormal Tryst.


If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?


Get involved eyeball deep in everything! I currently edit and proofread, I am a book reviewer, I have a close knit circle of gals who are fellow romance authors, and I take class after class for writing/character development. I am also a member of RWA and Passionate Ink. I wish I’d have invested more time back then.


Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?


Laptop, though I currently am playing with a new story on pen and paper. It keeps me from over-editing as I tend to do. I’m seeing if I can get a story out quicker that way. I don’t really have must haves other than my muse.


Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?


Okay, okay, I love Stephanie Meyer—yes I’m one of those. I get so emotionally invested in her work and I’d love to be able to offer my readers the same experience.


I love her too, though I admit I'm not a fan of The Host. I love the Twilight series, but I have friends who want to take a red pen to herbooks, LOL!

What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?


I’m in a bellydance troupe, but all in all I’m a pretty big tomboy.

Hahahaha….saw that on Face Book! Sounds exciting!


For Fun:

Bellydancing, reading, working out, and of course I have my four horses I love to death. Working and training them is a lot of fun. I also have 4 dogs and 2 kitties.


Favorite ‘Summer Food’ (ie: Veggies, fruit, or fair food):


Fresh organic veggies from my garden, as well as watermelon and peaches locally grown. Yum! My mom makes the most incredible fresh peach cobbler.


Mountains or Beach?


Mountains all the way! I lived in Colorado for several years and I miss my mountains so much.

I love Colorado, and used Estes Park as a setting:)


Favorite amusement park ride?


Oh I am a total rollercoaster junkie. I love love love love rollercoasters!


Favorite drink?


Water lol What can I say, I’m a health nut.


Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books.


Again thanks for having me! Currently all my work is published at Cobblestone Press (www.cobblestone-press.com) but I am expanding out.



Blurb:

Evelyn Bowers has had it with dead end relationships. She is ready to swear off men, until she is rescued by a mysterious stranger who sets fire to her libido. Will she open her heart--and her mind--to what Savaric has to offer?

Savaric has carried a centuries old curse of celibacy when he meets a luscious damsel in distress. Evelyn makes Savaric realize it's not just sex that's he's missing in his life. Will he make the ultimate sacrifice to break his curse?

Excerpt:

Savaric slid his spent cock from between Avelina’s soft, spread thighs. She stretched her arms languidly above her head and smiled dreamily at him as her eyelids fluttered open. His gaze feasted on her huge lush breasts which jiggled tantalizingly with her every movement.


“’Tis time to go, my beauty,” he said as he pushed his body off the wool blanket they’d tumbled upon in the open meadow. He reached for his breeches and pulled them on.


She rose, turning to face the mid-day sun. “Why spoil the afternoon, Savaric? Let us stay here and enjoy one another more.”


His eyes roamed down her full physique, the sun casting a shimmer on her creamy soft skin. She was rich and sinfully sweet, and she made his mouth water. Her taste was still on his tongue as his gaze roamed down to the pale curls at the juncture of her thighs.


“I must go.” Savaric pulled on his boots and mantle as Avelina pouted prettily. At last she donned her own tunic.


“There is something I must share with you, Savaric.”


The sudden urgency in her words made him tense. The sun was hot in the sky and all around the little meadow was the vast expanse of the Northern Forest of the King. Shadows in the dappled woods weaved and grew around them.


“What is it, Avelina?” he asked holding onto an inhalation.


“’Tis only that I’ve fallen in love with you,” she said to his back.


His breath left in a loud whoosh. He had sensed her deepening emotions, but had decided to ignore them.


He stared hard into the forest beyond, unable to turn and face the beautiful young woman with whom he’d experienced so many wicked delights. His hands trembled ever so slightly as they found his hips. The toe of his boot brushed against the flattened meadow grass.


“Savaric?” Her voice was as tight as the string of a lute. “Do you have no words for me?”


“I can say nothing, Avelina.”


That was all he could say. He inhaled deeply the earthy scent of the woods beyond.


“Are there others then?” Her voice was quavering and small. He could feel her energy enveloping him. “I have left behind all others for you.”


Savaric’s shoulders slumped and his gaze dropped to the ground.


“I never made the pronouncement otherwise, Avelina.”


“I don’t understand you. When I decided to end things not long ago you came to me, proclaiming that you could not live without me in your life. You seduced me back. Does that not speak of some profound emotions on your part?”


He winced at her words. It was true that he had gone to her, but it had only been because she was willing to explore areas of sexual excitement his other lovers wouldn’t. She had always been an eager and willing partner.


“This was never meant to be a commitment. That was our agreement from the beginning.” He truly had never meant to hurt her.


“How could you have spent so much time with someone, yet not love them? How could you expect me to do so? You are a beast.” Her voice broke on her last word.


“Avelina, I do care for you.” He swallowed hard. “But I cannot say that I love you.”


He prayed to the gods she wouldn’t start crying. They answered his prayers.


“You sorry son-of-an-ox,” she said. His back stiffened and he turned to face her. Her eyes were narrowed with tears shining within them. He remained silent as a sudden dread overtook him.


A sorceress was always more powerful than a sorcerer.


Raising her arms to her sides, her tunic sleeves falling back from her hands and wrists, she lifted her face to the bright hot sun. The dread turned to fear as he stumbled back from her, muttering a quick spell of protection. He feared it would be of little use.


“Savaric, from this day forward…” Her gaze dropped to his, her soft red-brown eyes becoming redder as the power built within her. “For evermore you will be unable to find release for your rampant desires.” She paused considering her words as Savaric tried to maintain his composure.


“Until the day you find a woman with whom you lose all your selfish gratifications, and feel for her as I do you. You will then know what must be done.” With a snap of her fingers a shock coursed through Savaric’s body, dropping him to his knees.


That’s the day he learned you should never piss off a sorceress.




9 comments:

Linda Kage said...

Wow, what an excerpt! I love the last line. Neat plot idea too. Instead of beauty and the beast, it's like beauty and the, um, Impotent.

I'll confess: I'm a Twilight fan as well. I think I cried most of the way through book 2. Never read the Host.

It'd be so cool to learn to belly dance. I'm jealous.

Anyway, it was nice to meet you!

Molly Daniels said...

Linda, I tried to read The Host, but was lost by the end of the first chapter. It's still by my bed, but reading something else.

I LOVE the last line of this excerpt, and sooooo want to read this! Excellent job Olivia!

Cheryl Pierson said...

Olivia,

This looks like a wonderful book! Very intriguing. Yep, he should have told a little white lie, I think! LOL

Very interesting interview! I enjoyed getting to know more about you and your work.

Cheryl

Abigail-Madison Chase said...

Loved the Excerpt..........can't wait to buy the book

Kate Richards said...

Let us know how it turns out writing with pen and paper. It feels weird to me now, but used to be the way I worked!

Olivia Starke said...

Thanks for the comments :) I've never attempted The Host--I hear it's a downer after reading the Twilight series lol

Yes, Kate, it's awkward writing everything by hand, but it keeps me from self-editing the story to death before I make it to the end!

And btw Kate Richards has some great reads out there as well! Be sure to check them out :D

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks so much for being here Olivia! Your book is definitely on my TBB list:)

Sandra Cox said...

Great interview! Love the cover!

Sandra Cox said...

Linda, noticed your comment. I'm a Twilight fan too.