Thursday, August 19, 2010

Terrific Thursday with Charisma Knight:)

While I'm over at Romance Books R Us, here's a new author brave enough to be in the hot seat today:) Her book is coming soon from XOXO Publishing, and if she sends me her cover, I'll get it up as soon as possible. I'm posting this at 10:30pm, and racing to get my youngest in bed and off to dreamland, so forgive any formatting issues!

Also, Happy 5th Birthday to my lovely niece, Rachel!

Welcome! Please introduce yourself and tell us about your latest release.


CK: Hola! I’m Charisma Knight, and I’m a writer of interracial paranormal erotic romance and erotica. Thank you for having me here today.


My latest release is entitled My Dark Lord and Master and will be published through XoXo Publishing. It is a short, dark BDSM tale of a woman who is whisked away by an ancient wolf-shifter from Serbia. She opens herself up to her innermost darkest desires and fantasies, and well, they come true. The only thing my heroine did not count on was spending all of eternity with her dark lord. Oh, and by the way, there is a small twist at the end I think readers will enjoy. ; )


Have you ever had an idea for a story which scared you after you began writing it?


CK: Yes, a little. I have a few books I’ve written where my heroines summon dark, ancient entities, and when I re-read them, I get the chills. LOL


Have you incorporated actual events from your own life into your books?


CK: There are a few minor details from my own life experiences in my books.


How much research do you do? Do you research first and then write, or do you write first, then research as needed?


CK: So far, I haven’t had to do any extensive research. There are a few historical stories I have in mind that I must research. It all involves language of a certain time frame and clothing.


Is there any message you want readers to take from reading your work?


CK: As an interracial author, I want folks to know that love, and lust knows no boundaries, including color. If two people from two entirely different backgrounds want to be together forever for love, or even a small moment’s worth of lust, hey, why not?


There are times when my stories will have a small message, it could be a single mother discovering love again, or an emotionally and physically abused woman learning to trust and find herself again. My characters could be lonely and cursed, or yearning to have a family. Some of my stories are slightly darker, and have a “be careful what you wish for, you just might get it,” kind of message. LOL


Seriously, think about dabbling around with magic, or breaking open an ancient seal, something beyond your wildest imagination just may pop out at ya!


Yes, I mix these things with the paranormal. Why? Well, for me it is an escape. If I can provide a reader some encouragement and happiness through an escape into a fantasy world, with a dash of realistic topics, that makes me happy. I love to hear from readers, and I love it when they tell me how much they’ve enjoyed my stories.


Are you a plotter or a pantser? And have you ever had a story take on a life of its own?


CK: I’m a pantser. I go where my muse takes me, usually. Now, for a few of my upcoming stories, I’m discovering I need to have an outline.

My story, Daywalker took on a life all its own. I had other plans for a darker hero, but he became the villain of the story. My heroine brought out the “light” within my hero who would have succumbed to darkness if it had not been for her.


How long did it take for you to be published?


CK: Not long at all. My first story was submitted in July 2009, and was published in March 2010. My first story published was Her Dark Desires, which was submitted in October, and published in November of 2009.


If you could go back and tell yourself anything when you first began your writing career, what would you say?


CK: I would have found a critique partner. Writing has been a wonderful experience for me, and I’ve learned so much. But, there is so much more to learn!


Laptop or pen and ink? What are your ‘must-haves’ when writing?


CK: Both. Sometimes, I tire of lugging my laptop around, so simple ink and a journal is suitable.


Who are your favorite authors? Who would you say influenced you the most?


CK: Absolute favorite authors are Dahlia Rose, Jordyn Tracy, J. Hali Steele,


Dahlia Rose & Jordyn Tracy influenced me most. After all, Sugar and Spice Press was my first interracial epublisher I stumbled across 3 ½ years ago. I discovered J. Hali Steele after I became published, and she’s of great inspiration to me. All these ladies, and many more inspire me. Serenity King is a new author to me, and I’m currently reading one of her books that totally rocks.


What would your readers be surprised to learn about you?


CK: Hmm, Sometimes I write for my own sexual gratification? Is that bad or what?! ; 0 Seriously, just being honest. ; )


For Fun:

Favorite drink?


CK: Alcoholic: Vodka & Cranberry! Non Alcoholic: Coffee!


Do you have any special Labor Day traditions?


CK: We must always have a cook out! If it rains, then we grill indoors!! LOL


McDonald’s or Burger King?


McDonald’s


Thank you for being here today! Please tell us where we can find your books

.

CK: Thanks for having me! It was a blast.

My book can be found at XOXO Publishing


Blurb for My Dark Lord and Master:

Ever wonder what dreams and fantasies are made of? Some believe one mirrors the other. Perhaps a fantasy is based upon a dream you had one restless night. Maybe a dream, once a fantasy has presented itself to you in the form of a half man, half beast, conjured by the darkest depths of your imagination.


Once manifestation has occurred, how will you react when your dark Lord and Master projects you into his domain, placing his mark upon you for all eternity? When it is all said and done, would you regret the strong power of imagination?



7 comments:

Serenity King said...

Great interview, Charisma! Love you stories. Is My Dark Lord and Master out yet? I went over to xoxo and didn't see a link. Then again it could be me with not enough coffee in my system lol. For the title alone I'm buying this one. Love it and I absolutely love twists in a novel. Congrats, Lady!

Hugs,
Serenity

Unknown said...

Serenity, you're such a sweetheart. Thank you so much for all the support. I'm so glad we met one another. You have a heart of gold.

That is one of the awesome things I'm loving about writing, meeting up with wholesome and postive folks.

My Dark Lord and Master isn't out yet. It is in the last stages of editing, and is a very short story, a little over 5,000 words.

I'm anxiously waiting for my book cover! LOL

Thank you, for everything.

ck

J Hali Steele said...

Hey, Lady! Wow...I'm so thrilled, Charisma, at all your success--YOU are the inspiring one. I can't imagine what you've got your characters up to now *naughty grin*

Congrats and keep it up!!

Molly Daniels said...

Thanks for being with me today, and on such short notice:)

Liz Flaherty said...

Good luck with books! It's always nice to find your niche early on. Some of us grope around for years! :-)

Linda Kage said...

Hi, Charisma. It's wonderful to meet you. I'm so jealous. It took me FOREVER to finally get published. But congrats on your sucess!

Unknown said...

Hey Molly ~ Thank you for having me! I enjoyed the interview.

J. Hali ~ What's up lady?? Thanks for the kind words, but it was nice learning about you. Your books are awesome, and you just have a very cool vibe about you. You sound like Ms. Roz on my group. LOL

Liz~ Thank you for the best wishes. Thanks for commenting.

Hi Linda, I was shocked when I got published. I'm looking over this past year and I'm really amazed, and very happy at the friends/authors I've had the pleasure of associating with.