Thursday, May 1, 2008

Auto Technology

Critter Watch: We have 3 baby cardinals on the front porch, along with 4 robin's eggs. The cardinals are growing! We can actually see 3 individual babies, rather than one ball of gray fluff!

Currently Reading: Brynn, if you're just checking in, I posted my opinion of All Chained up on the 1st post yesterday. No reading today...I'm off to the signing:) Or am I....

Word Count Yesterday: 502. Really bad, but consider the computer probs, forgivable:)


Maybe I should have taken it?

First the computer gods laughed at me yesterday.

Today, it's the automotive gods who are having a field day.

Let's recap the past year:

April 2007: I'm halfway to my convention in Fishers, IN when my van refuses to go faster than 30 MPH. The kind person who let me use her phone graciously took me to my first stop; my friend's house, where my father was waiting to meet me. He was intending to pick up my 3 kids and take them home with him. Little did he know he would first be taking me to Fishers...And later, all it took was a $5 fuel filter repair.

December 1st, 2007: I'm scheduled to go to Muncie, IN, to be a part of the Midwest Writer's book signing. I'm only four blocks from home when I stop to buy oil, and the brakes suddenly lock up. I can't go forward or backwards! Two hours later, hubby gets it fixed and is totally perplexed at why it happened when the phone rings. Forget Muncie; I have to drive to Noblesville in order to get one of my best friends, as her mother just passed away, and she needs a ride to Evansville.

Last Saturday: My son takes my van to Walmart for a forgotten item and calls 30 minutes later to say the van refuses to back up, and the transmission is screaming. Hubby babies it home, and further inspection shows we're gonna need a new tranny. It's okay; Jackie says she needs a day with 'the girls' and says she'll drive.

6:15 am Today: The phone rings. I smile and pick it up, expecting Jackie to say she's on her way. Nope. It's her hubby.

"Got a slight problem. Apparently I hit something last night, and there's a 4-inch gash in the sidewall of one of the tires."

Ouch. And the tire repair shop doesn't open until 9am.

Ouch, ouch, ouch!

But, there's a good side to all of this: 1) my kids were early to school; 2) Kelly gets to hold down the fort for the first two hours until we get there; 3) Mikey stayed in his cage all night; 4) I had time for more than one cup of coffee!

So just pray everything goes well the rest of the day? Please?

And let's hope that when my next event rolls around, which is the Cincinnatti trip, all vehicles are in good, working condition!!!

Oh, and another piece of good news? My sister and her family are set to arrive on May 17th! She got her visa to cross the border! Woo hoo! For any new readers, she's in Canada and lost not only her work permit papers, but her US birth certificate. Don'cha love beaurocracy? NOT!

UPDATE: I ain't gonna make it...even if I were to leave now, I wouldn't get there until 4...I'm sorry, Kelly! I was sooooooo looking forward to meeting you! Damn cars...and my teleporter isn't working...Where's Hiro when I need him? Oh wait...he's on hiatus. Let's see....Tucker's been cancelled; Scotty's retired; and DS-9 and TNG have both been cancelled too...I guess I'm just SOL at the moment...Sure Out of Luck! Oh yeah...and the private jet is in the shop, SNORT!

6 comments:

Phoenix said...

Fort holding Kelly says "aaarrrrrggghhhhh!"

Molly Daniels said...

Impatient author agrees...I hate being late! There are so many more levels of anger here, but I won't get into it...

Unknown said...

stuff happens - nothing you can do about it

barbara huffert said...

You didn't make it? But, but, but Kelly was to deliver a hug for you.

Molly Daniels said...

You'll just have to deliver it in person, Barb!

Brynn Paulin said...

Just checking in now...

Thanks for reading All Chained Up. Yes Max is next (Master Me--came out in January). Josh's story comes out on May 14.