Thursday, May 8, 2008

Rejection!

Currently Reading: Did I mention that Eight Cousins is a 1st edition? There's no copywrite date! And written on the inside cover is a note that says it was given to my great-grandmother in 1936. God I love that book! I also have another copy (in storage somewhere) that is illustrated. Also finished (okay, skimmed!) Pinocchio, by Carlo Collodi. Also a 1st edition, and was given to my great-uncle for his 7th birthday in 1940. Sadly, I found the original boring. I prefer the Disney version. I know...poor Carlo is turning in his grave...Next up is The Black Box by Thelma Lientz, copywrite 1929 (I think...MCMXXIX?) And I'm going to have to consult either my mother or my grandmother as to who Warren is. And the last name is misspelled, but I know at some point, one branch of my father's family decided to change the spelling.


My thick skin is growing:)

Why?

One of my manuscripts was rejected today, and I'm rather cheerful about it!

Before you drag me off to be committed, let me just say this was the maiden voyage for this particular MS. It really wasn't ready to be submitted; it was an unexpected request for it. And it came back to me today with something it really needed:

Constructive comments:)

Not just the "No, not interested. Best of luck!", but "Here's how I think you can improve upon it..."

So I'm inspired again. This is the MS that I want to change the title, and if memory serves, every time I used to read it, I want to skip to chapter 12. But that could have meant I was sick of the idiot my heroine was trying to please!

Hitting Close to Home:
There was a commercial the past week or so, telling voters it was getting hard to decide what to buy: A gallon of milk or a gallon of gas. Around here, it's more like, should we get a prescription filled, or get the printer ink filled? Buy staples or live on pork loin and chicken and noodles? Fix the transmission in the van or pay the growing stack of bills on the desk?

My personal answers? Ink, so I can do my edits...okay, that's selfish. I have a kid with tonsilitis who needs to get well. Ink can wait until next week.

Staples. I'm getting tired of pork, and have a craving for beef. And we missed the sale on beef, darn it...

Transmission! If and when the husband returns to work, I'm going to have to have wheels...okay, so we live in town and can walk/ride bikes if necessary. We are paying the utilities...it's the medical bills which are piling up again.

Want a joke to cheer you up on this rainy day? Visit Sandra Cox's blog http://www.sandracox.blogspost.com/ and check out the updated Abbott/Costello routine! And don't forget to scroll down to my earlier post and read the 'witty ditty' I came up with for AJ. She needs rain and we're getting buckets of it. But it's still better than snow!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Smart girl - rejections are not the end of the world and if you can look at it as a positive you are on the way to success.

Molly Daniels said...

Did you like your poem?

Unknown said...

...um, don't give up your day job

Molly Daniels said...

Hahahaha....

barbara huffert said...

Hey Molly, I have a book coming out May 19. Do I get another poem?

Wise choices, btw.

Phoenix said...

argh. my posts aren't sticking....

Phoenix said...

Oh sure, THAT one posts. Sheesh!

Molly Daniels said...

Gotta love blogger sometimes:)