Sunday, May 11, 2008

Happy Mother's Day:)



One of the most memorable Mother's Days was the year my sister and I decided to make Mom a pizza. Remember the Chef Boyardee pizza kits? Mom used to make them on Sunday nights when a particularly good Wild World of Disney program would be on, and we would be allowed to eat in the living room while watching it. And since we always had to get up early for church on Sunday, my sister and I decided we'd surprise her with lunch on Saturday.

Since I was the oldest, I got out the ingredients and made the dough. First mistake: The dough refused to rise. Ever the optimist, we divided it into to pans and spread it out the best we could.

Second mistake: Letting my sister loose with the parmesan cheese. She had watched me spread the pizza sauce, so she dumped the entire tiny can onto one spot and tried to spread it out before I could say anything.

We got the rest of the toppings in place with no further problems, and put them into the oven. And then it was time to wake up the parents.

They were pleasantly surprised by our efforts, and when the pizzas were cooked, we enthusiastically began to eat.

My father got the slice with the entire can of parmesan and promptly left the table after drinking his entire glass of iced tea! And while my sister and received hugs and kisses from Mom, she requested that we not cook her pizzas at ten o'clock in the morning?

So the next year we baked her a cake instead, and took her to the track for time trials!

Pole Day Results:
1. (9) Scott Dixon
2. (10) Dan Wheldon
3. (6) Ryan Briscoe
4. (3) Helio Castroneves
5. (7) Danica Patrick
6. (11) Tony Kanaan
7. (26) Marco Andretti
8. (4T) Vitor Meira
9. (27) Hideki Mutoh
10. (20) Ed Carpenter
11. (12) Tomas Scheckter

2 comments:

barbara huffert said...

I once made my parents martinis for their anniversary. With olive oil instead of a splash of juice from the olive jar.

Molly Daniels said...

Ohhhh...not a good combination!