Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Christmas Eve Ramblings

Currently Reading: LOVED Whispers of Magic! Elvin Magic is waiting for me; it will be my reward tonight once I get everything wrapped! I started Magnolia, and was reading it between cookie batches. My oldest son went to the computer to look at the weather report, and suddenly...."Wow, Mom...you certainly read some descriptive books!" If you want to know what part he looked at, check out the shower scene in Magnolia. I then had to explain the backstory of Anny's Flower series to my hubby!


Christmas Bargains?
I had to laugh yesterday. In fact, I meant to post it, but was sidetracked by the weather report.

The news people were talking about how the economy has affected the Christmas sales, and possibly even the after-Christmas sales, and one 'expert' gushed, "The best deals are actually at the high end stores!"

Okay; I'm instantly picturing cashmere sweaters for $20, BOGO all over the place...but wait; she continues.

"A Ballencia dress that would normally sell for $2500 you can now pick up for a mere $900!" (My apologies if I spelled that wrong.)

Ooooookaaaaayyyy...the most expensive dress I ever bought was my PROM DRESS! And though my mom thought $150 was too much, we bargained it down to $120. And I promised to wear it more than once, which I did! I didn't even spend that much on my wedding dress, as I married within two weeks of getting engaged, and bought a nice white suit for around $100.

I guess if you have that much money to throw down for a dress, go for it. However, I'm taking myself to Walmart in order to get my new computer and some other last minute items I neglected to get.

Dinner at Applebees
Had a great time last night! A member of our writer's group has graduated with his journalism degree and is now looking for a job, either freelancing or doing an internship with a magazine or newspaper. He's also working on a sci-fi book. But last night was all about comraderie and enjoying good food.

Today on the To-Do List:
-One last trip to Walmart
-WRAP!
-Mix together the ingredients for both my bacon-tomato cups and the chicken-broccoli braid, so the flavors can 'marry'
-Christmas Eve services at 5:45, although we'd probably better get there no later than 5! I have NO desire to attend Midnight Mass. I plan to be IN BED by that time, or at least finish up the wrapping...
-Putting together the previously-mentioned food and popping them into the oven.
-Watching A Christmas Carol and snacking on the appetizers, summer sausage, cheese and crackers, and lunchmeat. We'll also be thawing out the turkey for tomorrow. And yes, my 'strays' may show up tonight and tomorrow. They will be greeted with open arms and all the food they can stand! Since we're not going anywhere until Saturday, I can cook the rest of tomorrow's meal after we open presents.

Christmas 1998
I've polled every member of my family, and while we vividly remember 1997 and 1999, we're drawing blanks on what happened/where we spent Christmas that year. I think 1998 was the year of the fleece blankets that my SIL made each one of us. The toddler wasn't born yet; K was in the 1st grade, and S was dressing every Wednesday in her black turtleneck and black jeans "Because Dalton likes me and his favorite color is black....and so is Grandpa's!" Ahhh...the memories of a 4-year-old. I had to convince her pre-school teacher she was NOT depressed; she was dressing for her best friend and possibly future husband, ha ha....

1 PM:
My new computer has arrived! I originally posted this in the comments, but after the to-do list is complete, we'll set it up. I wonder if there's a way to transfer the documents off the dead hard drive???

Last Shopping Day!
Gifts wrapped: 4. But when I get home from the store, the spousal unit is taking the kids and disappearing so I can finish. Either that or I'm locking myself in the basement...
Cookies baked: Baked 9 dozen chocolate chips yesterday. We are officially 'chipped out'. I'll let the boys make the Rice Krispies while I'm at the store...this ought to be interesting! At least there's only enough marshmallows for two batches!

4 comments:

Cindy Spencer Pape said...

So glad you loved Whispers! Have a wonderful Christmas, Molly!

Bronwyn Green said...

Merry Christmas, Molly! BTW, you're ahead of me - I haven't even started wrapping yet!

Molly Daniels said...

My new computer is here!!!!!!!!!!

I'll enjoy it later, after church.

barbara huffert said...

Merry Christmas Molly!