Thursday, December 11, 2008

Christmas Memory

Currently Reading: Finished The Prosecuter's Paramour! Wow...I seriously hope this future never comes to pass! The book and the futuristic setting was fantastic, but the policies she imagined are scary enough to actually come true. Looking forward to more Lara Santiago books! Next up: Absolute Trust by Kaenar Langford. I'm up to chapter 3, and the only reason I had to stop was my toddler was in the throes of trying to stay awake! You know what I'm talking about...the whining and constant motion as he knows if he sits down he'll pass out? I turned off the computer, took him in, read him a story, and five minutes later he was snoring!


First of all, CONGRATULATIONS JAE! Smudgie is here and he is BEAUTIFUL!!! Check him out here:)

Christmas 1978
I believe this was year of the infamous 'let's tape Christmas morning' action by my mother.

The morning began as usual; my sister woke me up (she was 8, I was 13) and we spotted our respective piles under the tree, and speculated on what some of the boxes contained. We woke up Mom and Dad and waited anxiously while Dad turned on all the lights, turned up the heat, and turned on the radio/tape player of Christmas tunes. We always opened our stocking gifts first, and consumed the traditional Ding-Dongs, malted milk balls, and chocolate covered cherries. After the small stuff and candy were oohed and aahed over, we trooped into the living room to open the gifts under the tree. I took the comfortable chair; my parents the couch, and my sister sat on the floor and handed out the presents. She sat right in front of the TV.

Did I mention my sister gets quite vocal when she's happy?

I'm surprised the entire neighborhood didn't congratulate her on the presents she received! Especially her new Miss Piggy puppet.

"It's Miss Piggy! Mom! Miss Piggy! I got Miss Piggy! Oh, I LOVE Miss Piggy! Molls, look! Miss Piggy!" And on and on it went...

We also had a small fight over Shaun Cassidy albums. Mom had bought two, and wrapped them together so we could choose which one we wanted. Sis already had one; I had neither. I wanted his debut album, but since Wendy already had the newer one, she argued she should get the debut album. After some mild bickering, I agreed to let her have it and would use some of my birthday money to buy my own.

After all the presents were unwrapped, my mother said that one present had rolled under the television. Wendy retrieved it, and tore off the paper.

"A tape recorder? But...the box feels empty!"

Mom laughed. "Look behind you." She stood up and pointed out the tiny black contraption on top of the TV. "I've been taping you all morning!"

"Mooottthhherrr! You didn't!"

She rewound the tape and unfortunately managed to stop it right when Wendy was screeching about Miss Piggy!

"Maybe we should have made her sit elsewhere..."

14 Shopping Days Left:
Gifts bought: 0, unless you count the 3 e-books I finally bought yesterday!
Cookies baked: 8 dozen butterscotch chip and 8 dozen M&M cookies. Kids devoured the M&M cookies; I only have 6 dozen left, with two more batches to make today.

3 comments:

Carol Preflatish said...

What are you doing with all of those cookies? You must have a massive freezer to hold all of them.

Carol

Molly Daniels said...

Not freezing them, dear. They're stored in ice cream buckets until next week, when most will be packed into gift bags and handed out. My kids have consumed quite a bit also:)

Anny Cook said...

I've learned to bake the cookies the day we're leaving for my daughter's home. Otherwise, there won't be any.

Have a great weekend!