Friday, December 4, 2015

Flashback Friday: My 10th Birthday!

December 1976:
I wasn't having the greatest year in 4th grade.  I'd sunk to the bottom of the social pecking order; my best friend in the neighborhood was rising to the top of her 3rd grade social pecking order; and I wasn't hardly in any classes with my BFF from school.  But my 10th birthday was very memorable.

I was always cold once the temperatures dipped below 70 degrees, and hated sliding into a cold bed.  So at dinner that night, I was very surprised by a large package which held my 1st ever electric blanket!  Mom fixed me lamb chops for dinner, and on the weekend, both sets of grandparents AND great-Grandma and Granddaddy Geis came for ice cream and cake.

During Christmas Break, KE and I spent time at my house, and Mom took pictures of us dancing in front of the tree.  I think it was about this time we were also introduced to the concept of singing along to our favorite records and recording ourselves on the tape recorder. At first, we would hold the microphone, but this make our voices distorted.  Mom showed us the mike would still pick us up if we left it on the table beside the machine, and pointed at us. We sounded better then!

A few days before Christmas, KE and I went caroling around the neighborhood.  I loved my coat; it was yellow plaid, had deep pockets, and a fur-lined hood:)  It also fell to my thighs, in an effort to keep my legs warm:)

For Christmas, out cardboard fireplace was set up in front of the living room window, next to the tree.   I had also received a Magic Set, but the 'table' was accidentally gathered up and thrown out with the wrapping paper, prompting my father to be more careful in the years to come, when throwing away the trash from Christmas Morning!

When we went to Grandma Graul's house, my Uncle Howard had made a 'Small Talk' bench with both our names on it.  Later, I would use it as a display bench for favored stuffed animals; now it sits in my basement, patiently waiting to be displayed again.

I also think this was the year the car was soooooo nice and warm for the trip home!  I've never been able to recreate that feeling.  Everyone else was probably sweating profusely, but I was finally toasty warm:)

*************
Present Day:
Getting ready for tomorrow's trip to the Purdue Christmas Show!  BC Brown's niece is a senior this year, so I want to be able to see her perform live before she graduates:) Melissa B is driving, and I'm hoping my dad will drop us off, then he and Mom pick us up and take us to Arni's for lunch afterward:)

Then driving back, and will see them again on Sunday at the Outback Steakhouse, to celebrate K's 24th birthday, since it falls on Tuesday.

Karaoke Update:
Did well last night; sang 6 songs. After a disastrous Zoot Suit Riot, sang You're The One That I Want with Stacy; Fight For Your Right To Party (made it into a duet with Elaine); Helped E out with Please Mr. Postman and Edge of 17; then sang It's Only Love as a solo, which was okay.

Tomorrow, plan to sing the following:
It's Raining Men
It's So Easy
It's Too Late
It's Your Call.

Cookies Baked:
        Oatmeal Raisin:  5.5 Doz
        Chocolate Chip:  13 Doz

No comments: