Thursday, September 11, 2008

9/11 and Treasures in Storage

Currently reading: Finished Jewels of the Nile! Loved the 5th and 6th stories, especially Making the Madam! Great twist on the inheritance story:) If you've not bought this anthology, go do so...it will keep you scrolling!


The current time is 8:30 am.

Seven years ago, I was composing an email to a friend when I realized the radio was no longer playing music. I really couldn't hear it anyway, so I kept typing. Suddenly an IM popped up on my computer screen with the news an airplane had hit a building in New York and to go watch the news. I typed, "BRB...just got a message about a plane hitting a NY building." and went to investigate.

What followed was something out of a horror movie.

People running in the streets; news anchors interviewing witnesses covered in debris; the initial videos of the plane hitting the towers. I went back to my home office and told my friend I'd continue later and hit 'send'. I went back to the news and arrived just in time to see the second plane hit the other tower.

I called my mother, who told me about a 3rd plane in Pennsylvania, and as we were on the phone, the Pentagon was hit. We hung up so we could pay attention to the news.

And then the towers started falling.

But what struck me the most was the issue of how people faced death. If you're faced with the possibility of burning to death, or jumping out of a 80-story building, which do you choose? Do you try to get out and hope you're one of the lucky ones, or do you give your life to God and hope for a swift death? Or do what so many did, and jump out the window, hoping you either a) land on somnething soft or b) die of fright before you hit the ground? Those images of what I watched will stay with me forever.

I sincerely hope and pray that whoever takes over this country in two months and in the years to come will find a solution to this terrorist problem so that no other soul has to endure the tragedies of 9-11.

Treasures!
My toddler had a field day yesterday. We went to our storage unit and he discovered a toy box full of things he'd never seen! Toy trucks, My Size Angel Barbie, toy horses...all ended up coming home with us. We're going to give it a week and then quietly start donating the toys he declared were his 'favorites!'

And I discovered an entire box of books I hadn't read! How could I forget the Star Trek books? Deep Space Nine, TNG, and even some original series ones:) I'm up to chapter six on one where Quark loses his money.

I also found my Marian Keys books, Sushi for Beginners, Rachel's Holiday, and Angels. I'd love to read the rest of her books. And there's a funny story about Sushi...my sister had given it to me for Christmas; six months later, I'm sitting in a doctor's office and happened to pick up a month-old copy of People magazine. Imagine my surprise when in the 'Pages' section, there is a 'new hardback' review of Sushi for Beginners! I had the paperback; how in the world could it be 'new'??

I kept reading: Apparently, the US was just now finding out about this witty author, who lives in Canada! And when I got home, I checked the copyright. Yup, about a year earlier, in Canada! There are perks to having international siblings...

Boxes/Bags repacked and labelled: 26
Boxes/Bags for donation: 4
Boxes/bags lugged home: 1

We'll see how far we get today!

Go over to Bron and Brynn's blogs and wish Brynn and Caitlyn a Happy Birthday:) And Kenzie's talking about wedding rings and the latest 'trend'. Check out http://kenziemichaels.blogspot.com and see if you agree.

2 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

I echo your sentiments.

Molly Daniels said...

Also, one year ago today was when I began writing Wild at Heart. So far this month? I've hit a wall on the creative front. Hope it comes down soon!