Thursday, May 14, 2009

Ummm...How Old Am I Again?

Currently Reading: I'm up to chapter 5 on Flavia's Secret:) And since we've had some nasty thunder and lightening, I bought Sabrina Jeffries' Never Seduce a Scoundrel. I'm loving it also, and want to get the other books in that series!


Saw on the news yesterday that people are being encouraged to lie about their ages.

Not only in the dating world, but on job applications!

Why?

"The company may see an older person as a liability, instead of experience."

Okay, I get that part. But say a person decides to suddenly shave ten years off their age and applies for a job. What happens when they turn in their resume'? What happens if the employer decides to contact former employees? Google their names? Somewhere, the dates aren't gonna match up.

"But after you're hired, then you can come clean..."

And lose all your credibility? Let's take a look at lying about your age in the dating game.

You meet this terrific guy. You decide, 'hey...I'm over 40...I'll tell him I'm 35.' He buys it; you begin dating. You really connect with him...and suddenly you want to bring him home to meet the family, or even introduce him to your friends. Or, your birthday is coming up.

Do you:
a) Tell your family and friends not to mention your true age?
b) Pull your sweetie aside and 'fess up?

If you decide option A, you're going to be constantly on guard for someone to slip up. If you choose option B, then you run the risk of destroying his trust. Unless you meet someone so perfect they say, "It's okay; I've known for several weeks. I've been waiting for you to come clean."

When I turned 29, I started lying about my age, because thirty seemed old. I didn't want to give up my twenties, so for several years, I stated I was 29, 'with X years of experience'. This backfired when I was 35, because during my annual exam, my dr asked me how old I was. He's only a month older than me, so I replied, "I'm either 35, going to be 36...or 34, turning 35....or 36 tuirning 37? However old you are, that's how old I'll be in two weeks. I've really got to stop lying about my age!"

Another Remake:
Several months ago, I posted I'd heard a remake of Prince's 'Darling Nikki'. Sometimes I actually like remakes, but couldn't the group have picked a better song? Okay, 'Let's Go Crazy', 'Little Red Corvette', '1999', or even 'Cream' would be taboo. There are some songs or artists you just don't mess around with, like Elvis (Anyone remember Cheap Trick's rendition of 'Don't Be Cruel'?) or The Beatles. Elton John. Def Leppard. Styx. REO Speedwagon.

I heard Seether's remake of 'Careless Whisper'. Groan....don't mess with my Wham/George Michael? Now that is a classic! Why didn't they pick another artist/song?

But of course, my daughter likes it. I'll have to dig through storage and play the original for her.

Any remakes you've heard that hurt your eardrums or send you into 'How dare they...' mode? I wonder if my parents felt the same way when 'their' music was recorded by other artists?

And on the flip side, which remakes do you think are better than the original? A few of my faves are 'Locomotion' (the 70's version, although Kylie Minogue's is good too!) and 'Dancing in the Streets'. Loooove Mick Jagger and David Bowie's version!

4 comments:

Sandra Cox said...

Figuring out the true age would be an easy fix wouldn't it?
Okay, I'm really 31. snicker snicker

Regina Carlysle said...

I'm ummmm 31 or 32...I...ummmm FORGET!

Molly Daniels said...

I took a Facebook quiz which said my 'real age' was 37. So my body's still running 6 years behind:)

Unknown said...

Lying like that sounds like a recipe for sure disaster. For one, my employer prefers to hire older people - they think they're more mature and won't be absent as much. Employers hate to be lied to. If they find out that we've lied about something that important, they have grounds to fire you. All the places I've ever applied make copies of driver's licenses upon hire and need to know age for insurance purposes. So at least for job purposes, I would never lie. Just keep yourself in shape, neat, clean, and make a good showing of yourself whatever your age and you'll be fine. BTW, age 43 is a real youngster where I work. I'm 49and I'm one of the youngest (by far).

Favor - Molly, help explain to me how to use Facebook, make new friends, etc. Twitter now seems pretty easy to me, so now I'm progressing to Facebook. I think I took a million quizzes on FB last night but didn't do much worthwhile elsewise except reconnect with a good friend and my cousin (which was awesome).